Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: fist time fishing today...not as easy as it looks...

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
First, on shorter casts the pause is shorter. On longer casts, its longer.

Second, don't be afraid to add power. A lot of beginners I think are hesitant, and translate that into too soft a back and forward cast. The adage is to " accelerate to a stop". But try it with different power levels. Adjust timing as needed. You should be doing the forward stroke as you feel the backstroke pulling at its hardest.

Posted on: 6/9 21:47

Get someone to show you how to cast.

It can make such a big difference in how fast and how well you learn to cast.

Posted on: 6/9 21:54

From Northern VA
What TB said. The internet can only help so much.

I've spent a fair amount of time trying to teach casting, and learned that I'm not a natural teacher. I can ID the problem, but can't always explain the solution in a way that makes sense to others. So hopefully, I am not confusing you more! But I'll take a stab at it.

What pcray said is important- you have to try casting with force in order to feel the rod loading.

The line falling back too far when you try a longer pause could be from dropping the rod tip too low behind you. Or you could just waiting too long, in which case you just have to practice and find that sweet spot.

The "wobblyness" sounds like too much wrist action. Pretend the butt of the rod is zip-tied firmly against your wrist and try casting that way- you should feel a lot more power. I should note that your wrist will naturally want to roll/flex as you cast- that's fine, but if there is too much flex you will lose both power and accuracy.

40 feet is a good distance. If you practice accuracy and presentation up to that distance, you will catch PLENTY of fish! Once you get really comfortable at that distance, that's when it's time to work on longer casts.

Posted on: 6/9 22:32

From South Central,PA
I'm not sure how you are casting exactly but I notice a lot of beginners want to overhead cast too much. The problem is that here in PA most of our creeks have trees and obstructions. I use an overhead cast about 5% of the time (when I get an opening). the other 95% of the time I'm doing a sidearm cast, at a 45 degee angle or lower. Practice this at home in the grass. You'll have to learn to keep it from dragging... grass is real good at letting you know if your fly is grazing the ground! Good luck!

Posted on: 6/10 11:07

I typically do a 45' cast as well. Most of where I plan to fish for now it wouldnt matter but it feels better anyway. Currently I dont tie anything on my leader when im in the yard. (For safety reasons lol) I do watch my loops and try to keep them as far up as I can.

Posted on: 6/10 11:21

From Chester County
Here's a great series of videos to get you started casting:

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-l ... hat-a-fly-rod-needs-to-do

Posted on: 6/10 11:46

From Lewistown
My advise would be to take only the fly rod on every trip. This will force you to learn and not give up and switch to your spinning rod just to catch fish.

Your first year will be a little frustrating and really rewarding.

Also, remember some times it's easier to cut and re-tie than try to untangle a mess.

Posted on: 6/10 13:05

Were you throwing a weighted fly? It sounds like it, being you said there was such a difference from the yard to the water.

A weighted fly, depending on weight, takes a longer pause.

Posted on: 6/10 20:14
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Somerset P.A.
I know I started t cast a lot better when I started watching my back cast. After awhile I didn't have to watch anymore. Also when I started for some reason I thought like 10 false casts were needed every time I threw line up stream, I quickly learned one and some times none are required, while letting the stream load the rod. Keep with it I was terrible too. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 6/10 20:56

Yes. The flies I have currently are closers?? Weighted minnow like flies. Now I am working my way from nothing to light drys to someday weighted streamers again.

Posted on: 6/10 22:34

I think you have the right progression now.

Posted on: 6/11 0:13
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
BigRedChevy wrote:

So hears the question.
Is it normal to be completely awful your first time fishing lol?

I lol'd cause I still have some 'awful' days .... as awful as a day on the H2O can be.

Welcome to the board!

Posted on: 6/11 7:59

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
No day on the water is awful.

There are days where the fishing is awful. And there are days, where even an experienced fishermen performs awfully. We all have those days on occasion.

Posted on: 6/11 9:58

From Bethel Park, PA
Knots in your leader comes from tailing loops. Which means that you are not stopping the rod on the way back, and then you start to go forward before the line had the chance to extend all the way behind you. The sound of cracking a whip come from the same thing when you accelerate the line going forward. That will snap off flies all day. You have to think about the movement, and when you bring the rod back you have to stop the rod and give the line the chance to basically unfurl all the way before you bring the rod forward. And with the size rod you are using, you are throwing some big flies so you will feel a slight tug back when the line is completely unfurled, and that is the signal to then take the rod forward for your cast. Think of a clock when you are casting back and forth. The rod in your hand should only go back to two o'clock and then forward to ten o'clock. So the rod straight up in the air is at twelve o'clock, behind you two o'clock, and then forward to ten o'clock. Your casting should be from your elbow to your wrist, with slight flicks of the wrist going back and forward. To get distance it's simple, remember, leave it high, watch it fly, leave it low, it won't go, meaning, if you leave you rod tip high when going forward, you fly will travel farther out. From the high point, the lower you bring your fly rod tip, the shorter the distance.

Posted on: 6/11 12:49

Thanks guys I think im starting to get it now. Went out today again and did some top water dries.

Started out well landed my first right off the bat (yes!) Lol but after a few casts the fly no longer floated. Is there a trick to keeping a fly floatin longer than a few casts?

Hears a pic of the monster I pulled in. Boy am I happy I bought the 8wt. Not sure what id do without it...

Posted on: 6/11 20:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com