Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: dry fly trouble

From SEPA
Afishinado posted a how-to on making hand-twisted leaders, which in turn led me to a simple how-to on youtube to make an even simplier, although probably not as good, leader.

Basically, you take mono and just twist it over itself, double it over a few times and you've got a nice furled-ish leader. I've got them about 5' long, then some tippet in smaller diameters down to what I want to use.

They lay out aces, and they're cheap. A little time and effort getting 'em twisted up and they last forever and resist wind knots.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 21:56

Re: dry fly trouble
From Altoona, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Anyway I don't have more tangles with the knotted than I do the knot less as Pad suggested. Your mileage may vary.

I didn't mean to say or imply that you will get more tangles. Just that you can't untangle them. The knots in the leader get caught in the birdsnest and prevent the leader from unsnarling.

Knotless leaders can be unsnarled, so you can recover from a birdsnest (if you have the patience).

I just like to warn folks new to casting knotted leaders about that.

I found, in fact, that knotted leaders are easier to cast because of the materials I chose. I used a very stiff mono for the butt section (maxima chameleon) through the mid section of the leader. Then a moderately stiff mono (Orvis superstrong) for the last couple feet.

I gave a couple leaders to PaulG once and he liked them too. I think he went back to his braided leaders though.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 7:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com