Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

dry fly storage

Whats the best box for dry flies? Is it preferred to us a compartment style box?

Posted on: 2010/8/4 15:11

Re: dry fly storage
From Chester County
Noob,

A lot of guys like using compartment type boxes for dries. I like the C&F type boxes (the ones with the slots) best for all flies including dries.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 15:17

From Altoona, PA
I think it's a preference thing, so long as you don't bend the hackles. The best way to avoid that is to be sure your fly is dry before you put it away.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 8:15

From Gettysburg
My preference for conventional, hackled dry flies is a compartment box. For terrestrials (I usually don't use hackle on my terrestrials) and some specialty dies like midges I prefer the foam type boxes in which you stick the hook into the foam. Like Pad said, it's mostly a matter of preferance.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 8:50

From Johnstown, PA
Cleaned out smokeless tobacco containers make great dry fly boxes , they don't crush hackles and they float too!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/7 6:51

From Chicago, IL
The most important part of the dry fly box is that it doesn't crush the hackle. I have a C&F style slotted box for my Caddies box. I use a Wheatley box - one side slot, one side flat for my mayflies and my larger flies, respectively.

I had been using a slotted C&F box - smaller - for some dries and it was too small and crushed some of the flies - so no matter the "quality" of the box, if there's not enough room for the fly - it will not matter.

I don't like compartmental boxes as a personal preference, because I'm not coordinated enough when I'm standing in the river to pull out a bunch of flies that get intertwined in a compartment and pick out one to tie on - invariably, I drop a couple.

Cheers,
Mike.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 10:40

From Johnstown, PA
Why spend money on something that can be had for nothing? Use a snuff can with some foam glued in the bottom and voila , crushless dry fly box that unlike the $100.oo job will float , buy a new rod or line or sumpin' wit dat money jeeeeeez!

Posted on: 2010/8/8 5:18

From The Hilton
Quote:

ConMan wrote:
The most important part of the dry fly box is that it doesn't crush the hackle. I have a C&F style slotted box for my Caddies box. I use a Wheatley box - one side slot, one side flat for my mayflies and my larger flies, respectively.

I had been using a slotted C&F box - smaller - for some dries and it was too small and crushed some of the flies - so no matter the "quality" of the box, if there's not enough room for the fly - it will not matter.

I don't like compartmental boxes as a personal preference, because I'm not coordinated enough when I'm standing in the river to pull out a bunch of flies that get intertwined in a compartment and pick out one to tie on - invariably, I drop a couple.

Cheers,
Mike.

If you like the C&F and Wheatley boxes.....I have some land I'd like to sell you.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 15:45

From Chicago, IL
Quote:

Alpabuck wrote:
Quote:

ConMan wrote:

Cheers,
Mike.

If you like the C&F and Wheatley boxes.....I have some land I'd like to sell you.

I love my C&F boxes. The Wheatley box is ok. Wouldn't buy another. I've used lots of boxes and the C&F boxes are hands down the best fly boxes I've ever used.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 1:04

Gander Mtn or Cabelas clear compartment boxes. $3.99-7.99

Put that in your Wheatley pipe and smoke it. :) I've never understood spending big money on boxes. I've got a bunch of boxes from Harbor Freight Tools that I use in my pontoon tackle bags. They hold the flies and that's all I need. In all honesty, if I've seen someone pull out a 50 compartment box with lids on each, my first thoughts are "tool" and/or the guy in the fly shop saw you coming a mile away. I don't need a fly box to impress, my wind knots do the talking for me. Fight the good fight.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 16:45

From Lewistown
Gander Mt. sells the cloudy plastic dry boxes for a buck. The clear ones are over $4. However, the $1 go quick.

Stop at a fly shop and maybe they'll order you some cheap ones on their next order. When I worked at Hille's I got some chincy 4 or 6 compartment boxes for like $.85. they just tacked it onto their hook order.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:27

From Chicago, IL
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Gander Mtn or Cabelas clear compartment boxes. $3.99-7.99

Put that in your Wheatley pipe and smoke it. :) I've never understood spending big money on boxes. I've got a bunch of boxes from Harbor Freight Tools that I use in my pontoon tackle bags. They hold the flies and that's all I need. In all honesty, if I've seen someone pull out a 50 compartment box with lids on each, my first thoughts are "tool" and/or the guy in the fly shop saw you coming a mile away. I don't need a fly box to impress, my wind knots do the talking for me. Fight the good fight.

So because I have a C&F fly box that makes me a tool? Ok. To each his own... It's surely not to impress. Where I fish, I rarely if ever see another angler... and most of the time I fish alone. I guess I just impress myself some how?

Posted on: 2010/8/16 20:47

Easy ConMan. It's my opinion, nothing more. I'll guess that I'm not the only guy on here that feels that way or uses $5 fly boxes. I can't justify spending big money on a box to hold flies. Spend money for a good line or reel? Sure. If it makes sense to you, have at it. If a $5 box does the same exact thing as a $150 box, why would I ever buy the more expensive one? I guess it's kind of like bamboo and I just don't get it.

May your backcast be short and your forward cast be long.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 22:53

From Eastern PA
You called him a tool, then told him to calm down. Solid.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 23:30

I'm good like that. Since you're jumping in, $5 fly box or a $150 fly box? Careful how you answer or I'll call you a tool. :)

Posted on: 2010/8/17 0:38

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com