Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

cleaning fly line

From Fleetwood. PA
Would the use of “Armor All” harm a fly line? I know it’s use is for cars but I was curious.
Thanks for any response you might have.
Pap

Posted on: 2011/7/7 16:43

Re: cleaning fly line

From Altoona

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:03

From Clinton County, Pa.
I did use it one time but I think I would restrict it's use to shining tires. Buy some fly line cleaner. It really is inexpensive. I use Cortland's XL. Other companies make it as well.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:03

From Pittsburgh
I usually soak my lines in warm water with a little Ivory dishsoap, rinse, dry, apply 3M line dressing and wind back onto the spool. I know of guys that have used Armor All and some STP protectant, but all of the major line manufacturers discourage this. The phrase "deplasticizes the line" comes to mind...

I'm not saying those protectants don't work.I'm saying 'I don't know". I use Armor All on my boot foot neoprene winter waders. I know that the same manufacturers also want you to buy their brand cleaners and dressings. Fly lines cost a lot and I don't want to dress them with anything that I'm not sure of.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:13

From Fleetwood. PA
That is very interesting! The reason I asked was because someone I know claimed it wouldn’t damage the line. I knew about washing the line in dish soap but wondered what the line cleaner sold was made of.
Thanks for the response.
Pap

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:28

From Fleetwood. PA
Thanks for responding everyone!
Pap

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:29

From cambria county
for what its worth, i was told by RIO's customer service rep. to clean fly line by using room temperature water and dawn soap. havent tried it yet but seems simple........

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:32

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

evw659 wrote:
for what its worth, i was told by RIO's customer service rep. to clean fly line by using room temperature water and dawn soap. havent tried it yet but seems simple........

huh...interesting. I can't remember where I heard to use Ivory, but the reason was that Ivory doesn't contain phosphate and has biodegradable components.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:51

From SEPA

Dawn will eat the finish right off an antique Medalist, FWIW.

Zipcast is the bee's knees for cleaning lines, shame I'm too cheap to pay for shipping. I've been working through a bottle of Cortland XL for a long time now, alogn with dish soap and warm water.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 19:30

From Hanover
The first Airflo line I got a few years ago had care instructions included that said wash with warm soapy water, dry, and then Armor All. Now, the Airflo line I got this spring didn't have those directions. I guess since they're not made from PVC like most lines they figured it would work. Never tried it.

Zipcast is pretty good stuff. Doesn't last long, but it really does make lines slick.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 19:48

From Chester County
I used ArmorAll on my fly lines and it ruined several of them. One brand new line began to crack after a few weeks, another one turned to jello. Interestingly, the other lines were fine. They were all different brands and I don't recall which is which. Anyway, to me, using ArmorAll on fly lines is like playing Russian roulette with them.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 6:47

From LV
I fish with a very well know outdoor writer that uses Armoural to clean his fly lines all the time. I'm not convinced that it beats a god strong dish detergent, which is what I use.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 22:37

Cleaning A Fly Line - Part 1 from Sol Duc Buck on Vimeo.

Cleaning A Fly Line - Part 2 from Sol Duc Buck on Vimeo.

Two good videos from Rio on cleaning line. Check them out.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 0:43

From Fleetwood. PA
Thanks for that information!
Pap

Posted on: 2011/7/9 9:43

From State College PA
This has been debated for years and I don't know what the right answer is. I use warm soapy water with minimal use of dressing.
Lately, I carry a microfiber cloth with me, wet it down with my water bottle and pull my line through at as I am packing up at the end of every trip. It removes the dirt and I hypothesize the purified water actually removes the very heavy water found in spring creeks. I actually wonder if allowing the line to dry with creek water on the line causes the lime/scale to build up in the micropores of the line. IDK though
One thing i can tell you is that you should avoid Rain-X. The alcohol (ethanol) base that dissolves the silconizing agent is terrible on PVC. But, then again, would a brief exposure really hurt?

Posted on: 2011/7/10 17:32

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com