building a fly rod

B

BigRedChevy11

Hey all. I'm relatively new to the fly fishing world but will be hopefully learning the ropes this summer.

I'm trying to match myself a pair of fly rigs for two different areas I fish. The first is a small trout stream about 25 wide 1-5 deep (bushkill creek) and the other will be intended for smallmouth bass in the delaware river.

So far I found a nice 9' 6wt st. Croix Avid that im looking to use in the big D. My plans are to find a relativity cheap 8'-9' 4wt for trout fishing (if I dunk it or break it off on a tree id rather it be a cheap rod).

Online I was looking at a Greys GX700 series in 5-6-7 weight. They come with 2 extra spools for around $150.

My question is if I buy a 9' 4wt can I string 4 or 5 wt line on one of my GX spools and use it or am I better to find 2 separate reels?

Edit: I misread the question. I would try that reel on the 4wt first, it may be too heavy and bulky. It will hold the 4wt line, if that's what you're asking. It just may make the rod unbalanced.

Now the important part, what Chevy is behind the screen name?

I have herd that if i go long enough on the 4wt it
should balance better. How long is too long for a small trout stream? The GX also comes in a 3,4,5 but that wont be beefy enough for the 6wt then when I hook a monster smallmouth :-D Im not sure how big of an roll the reel itself plays in casting.

And to answer your question about the screen name..That's my baby, 2011 silverado that I put up 9" on 36's :)

That sounds like a nice truck. I have a Duramax with 2" lowering shackles and 3.5" drop keys.

On the fly rod length, yes a longer rod will generally balance better with a heavy reel. For the water you talked about specifically (25' wide) I would lean towards an 8' rod. For 12+ years I fished almost exclusively with one rod, a 580 (8' 5wt). I fished small brookie streams you could jump over (I later got a 3wt for that) all the way up to bigger creeks like Penns with the 580.

Well yes you can but for small streams why not something more like a 7' 6" rod?

I think id be ok with the 7' 6".. or even 7. but if I try to double duty the GX will it be awkward to use or will I barley notice?

BRC
Different rod lengths allow you to different things. Bushkill creek you could use anything from a 6'6" up to a 12' nymphing rig. A 8'6" or 9'er would be a good bet.
Where are you located? I'm in Stroudsburg. I mostly fish the Brodhead, McMichael, and the Pocono. Sometimes I fish other local streams. I also fish the Big-D and the susky for smallies (great fish for the fly rod).
contact me if you want to meet up.
Bart

I am closer to the easton area. I normally fish the bushkill where It runs next to 22 and the delaware south of 78. Sometimes the D canal if I get lazy.

I have a jobsite in wallkill ny starting soon so ill be passing near the water gap every afternoon. Iv heard there is some decent trout up that way.

LOL "the other Bushkill creek"

Yes some good water here. If you travel 209 through the DWG park you can fish the real Bushkill and see the north section of the Big-D. Good fishing in this section of the Big-D.

Im about 30 min from DWG. I def plan to come up a few times this summer once I can cast in public without making a fool out of myself :) yard fishin is what ill be doing at first I think lol.

Back