Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Your favorite set up

From South Lebanon Township, PA
"Drag free drift" refers to a natural drift of the fly with the current, just like a real insect would float/drift along. Drag is the fly drifting in an unnatural (usually faster, but can be slower or not moving parallel to the current too) manner. It is caused by the varying currents in the stream bed pulling on your fly line and leader, and then in turn your fly. Fish can tell when a fly isn't drifting naturally and will often refuse to take it if this is the case. Good advice above about not focusing as much on fly selection and focusing more on proper technique to start...The wrong fly with the right presentation will catch more fish than the right fly with the wrong presentation.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 7:52

From Bucks County
Drag Free Drift- You want your fly pattern to float or drift in the water as if it is not connected to any line. If it is not moving exactly the same speed as the current, it will be ignored (unless its a wooly bugger!). The line tends to bow in the current and tugg on your fly unaturally.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 7:55

From Johnstown, PA
LISTEN TO GFEN!!!

Posted on: 2013/2/6 7:57

My advice is to slow down. Look and listen. Then slow down some more. And quiet down. Slow down and quiet down enough to be able to spot fish in the water.

It's advice I'm still trying to take. It's completely opposite to most of the signals sent in the world of modern humans- society, work, cyberspace, traffic.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 10:08

From Pittsburgh, PA
Just do it.

Our society is so hyper focused on being a so called expert that people are afraid to try anything. I learned through trial and error and frankly I wouldnt have it any other way. I learned what worked best for me and I feel I can fly fish any water anywhere with the best of them. So try it all and keep at it. The old phrase "its fishing, not catching" really applies. This is a learned activity not necessarily an instant gratification one.

Get out there, be persistant, and youll be "hooked" for life!

Posted on: 2013/2/6 10:14

From United States
Welcome to the sport, it's one of constant learning for sure. I did not read the other posts so I hope that I am not repeating. From early season to late season flies to fish change. I will assume that you are looking forward to the first day of trout season and freshly stocked trout. Freshly stocked trout take some time to be conditioned to natural insects, even if they are stocked in-season when the heavier hatches are underway. However these fish will turn to feeding on naturals much more quickly. The flies that I would recommend for the early part of trout season for stocked trout.
Dusty's pink worm or a worm pattern
Sucker Spawn Creme is a good choice
Green Weenie
Woolley Buggers with long marabou tails
Streamers especially work well for brook trout such as a gray ghost and wooly bugger. Water is cold fish low and slow. That doesn't work try to entice some action with the streamers stripping or ripping whatever gets'em stirred up.
These are my favorite early flies for fresh stocked trout, alot of fisherman use egg patterns as well.
Hope this helps start you initially. Things change quickly when the hatches get going and the fish become conditioned. I'm sure that you will get plenty of good info here.
For casting I've read that the FFF booth at the Lancaster show March 2 and 3rd will have instruction. Good Luck and happy fishing.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 11:02

From Butler, Pa
With Eggs (sucker spawns) I've found that the only thing that matters is giving the fish something they haven't seen color wise. If you start fishing delayed harvest and ffo's now you will have a good idea of how to fish for the first day. What are some of the streams you normally fish?

Posted on: 2013/2/6 13:23

From Christiana, Delaware
Quote:

hof52 wrote:
Can you explain "drag free" drift

Here is a video from the Orvis blog that helps show you what drag looks like. This video talks about mending your line. The explanations described above are very good. This video shows you what everyone is talkng about.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/307-mending-line

Posted on: 2013/2/6 14:17

From SW PA
thank you everybody for the info im learning a lot this is great marvin i fish pine creek a lot due to its convenience also been to montour run and a stream close to the neshannok sorry for spelling but thats about it i get up to out camp in cameron county and fish some streams there

Posted on: 2013/2/6 16:52

From Butler, Pa
Ok well I'll Deer creek tomorrow morning if youre free, I think I can pull a few holdovers out

Posted on: 2013/2/6 19:05

i think gfen covered the basics very well. The only suggestion/edit i have to his post is the leader length. May be easier for a newbie to start with a 7 1/2' leader.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 20:21

From Philadelphia PA
There are plenty of videos out there that will help you get familiar with flyfishing nicely. I'm a big Orvis fan and I believe they make some of the easiest understanding videos and flyfishing shows available. Just type in Flyfishing and hit videos and it will bring you into that world if you have not already done so.
GFens advice is great as well. I like to practice casting in the front yard this time of the year. I get lots of laughs, however it keeps me well acquainted with my rod and line.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 21:22
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From SW PA
Really? Please let me no how you do i kinda wrote the local streams off for the winter

Posted on: 2013/2/6 21:24

From Butler, Pa
never do that, I was there today and saw at least a handful of fish in one hole, not to mention whacking a few fish this week at another dalo til my eyelets froze. once you get the hang of it you'll be able to fish quite a bit of the year

Posted on: 2013/2/6 22:06

From Lancaster County
Quote:

hof52 wrote:
Really? Please let me no how you do i kinda wrote the local streams off for the winter

Limestoners will be mostly ice-free year round. Freestoners may ice over, but if there is open water, you should be able to move fish with something. They're usually sluggish, being cold-blooded and all, but I've got 16 freestone wild browns to my name for January and February, so far. Favorite winter setup - wooly bugger.

I'm beginning to really enjoy winter freestone wild brown fishing, because, quite frankly, its quite a bit more challenging than spring or fall fishing, and that makes each fish it a bit more rewarding.

Best advice spread throughout the thread - don't overcomplicate things. A few flies will do. Learn the technique and don't worry so much about what's on the end of the line. Just like we eat hamburgers, some that look more like burgers, and others that look more like mystery meat, so too do trout consume bugs, some that are real bugs, some that look like real bugs, and some that are poor imitations for bugs.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 22:18

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com