Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Your favorite set up

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
winter fishing is not hard but it does take experience. the fish are much more lethargic and you need to put the fly right on them. they will most likely be in a deeper hole so you are gonna need some weight to get you down. the way that I look at winter fly fishing is a game where you get real close to the fish in a deep pool and do short drifts.
I find that in most cases when I find a pool with fish in it I try to stay as far away. but im usually within 10 feet of them. I use a 9 foot leader with a tandem rig. I usually have no more then 5 feet of fly line out. I put as much weight as I can. when you start bumping the bottom is when I stop. just take a split shot off if you start snagging.
you can catch a lot of fish in the winter. zebra midge is my go to for streams with stocked fish. I also use wooly buggers and eggs but I get most of my fish on zebras.

once the water starts to warm in spring and summer it gets easier and harder. by this I mean stocked fish will hit buggers and streamers and fishing is easy but give them two weeks and they will turn to whats in the streams. BWO's, caddis, middges and other bugs.
summer is when most bugs stop hatching on a regular basis so thing like ants and beetles will work but nymphing is still the best way to fish. the way I describe summer fly fishing to someone who spin fished their who life is fish where you would never go with bait or a lure like a rooster tail. by this I mean fast moving water, shallow or deep. trout need a lot of O2 to live in a stream so them will move to stretches of the river that have a lot of turbulent water when it warms up. I have caught fish in a riffle that is about 2 feet deep to about 5 inches. even if you don't see fish it dosent mean that they aren't there. summer time I like to use pheasant tails hears ears caddis larva.

marc

Posted on: 2013/2/6 23:06

From Butler, Pa
Well I got skunked today couldn't believe it, there looked to be a decent amount of midges and what looked to be BWO prob size 18 or 20. First time I ever fished it, I was impressed with some sections and some other sections turned me off, with foul odor needless to say I'll be heading back just for a couple of the holes.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:38

From Lewistown, PA
I love Gfen's post! I think that's perfect. I'm relatively new to fly fishing also - been at it for 8 months or so. My first 3 months involved me using only size 14 adams dry flies in my local stream. I didn't even try nymphing until a few months ago - mostly because this little stream has lots of dumb little browns that will consistently take an adams. Definitely keep it simple and work on the technique! Fancy patterns and alternative setups are fun to mess around with once you have a basic understanding of the sport.

One small thing I'd add to gfen's post - if you can find them, use beadhead nymphs - they're already weighted, so you don't have to mess around with splitshot.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 14:09

From Harrisburg
Great suggestion, Jeremy!

Posted on: 2013/2/10 0:18

From philadelphia
of course,as all are saying,listen to gfen's post.

as someone else said,also maybe a shorter leader.

i might add,find someone more experienced(which should be easy in the burgh)and learn from them.

and drag is not always bad.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 11:58

From SEPA

Everyone who said "use a 7.5' leader" was more right than I was.

Same with beadheads. Its my personal preference to not use them, but that does you a disservice. You'll decide on your own if you want them or not.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 13:56

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com