Yellow Breetches Nymphing (advice?)

S

ScottTaylor

Hi Gents &Mesdames,

Last trip to the YB, i enjoyed casting to the occasional rising fish and caught a nice brown on a #24 midge...while fishing I spooked some larger fish on the bottom, so next trip I plan to spend some time Nymphing.
i have not yet fished the run or below the Dam. Are these good targets for Nymphing?

I'm set up w/ a 9'5wt. Can a veteran recommend what I might try for leader/tippet/and flies? Any advice as to technique? I have been working both on indicator fishing w/ a smallish thingamabob, but also trying to develop some tight line technique...

Should I expect that in early March the trout remain sluggish?

Any tips, especially specific to the YB would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
S.T

ScottTaylor wrote:
i have not yet fished the run or below the Dam. Are these good targets for Nymphing?
Thanks in advance,
S.T

Yes, they're good spots.
That section was recently stocked and with some warming weather the fish should get more active. Your rod set-up if perfect. Try the following for a nymphing leader:

BUTT: 3' of 30Lb Mono

MID SECTION: 3' of 12-15lb

TIPPET: 2' of 4-6lb

Use a generic nymph with a BB sized split shot about a foot above the fly. Cast your fly upstream and let it drift naturally along the bottom. Breeches is a good stream to learn nymphing techniques.

the split shot really makes a difference in the faster water where the run comes in. Last time I fished there I did well on golden stones and also did well on a scud fishing them as a tandem.

I do a lot of seining in the breeches and other local streams. For the next month try Hendrickson nymphs size 14 and Grannom Caddis larvas.
They will be hatching about opening day for a week or so. Also BS lake is a shrimp (scud) factory many are small this time of year so size 16 thru 20. Also there are cress bugs in the Breeches in many sections. With the recent stocking almost any buggy nymph should catch some fish.

Make sure you put on enough 'wieght'. Breeches is a fairly fast flowing stream, an you need the added wieght to get down quickly. Don't be afraid to make 20+ casts to the same spot. Patience is a vertue when it comes to nymph fishing.

You will have to really bomb the hole below the dam on the Railroad track side with LOTS of weight. That scour hole can be pretty deep. Work your nymphs/buggers along the current seams (where slower water meets faster water) with an upstream cast. I like to point my rod tip down and raise as the current brings the rig toward me. I will also strip line over my index finger as the drift gains speed. To extend your drift, let the rig go by you and lower the rod tip accordingly until the drag takes over. A lower rod tip can aid in hooksets when your indicator does that little jump we all love. For a more cross stream cast, try an upstream reach cast and mend as needed to slow that bug to the current speed. As stated earlier, any old nymph will produce a few fish. Remember that the Breeches is a CADDIS FACTORY with Brachycentrus and Hydropsyche being some of the most common. Larvae patterns dead drifted on the bottom are good producers along with Lafontaine's sparkle pupae during emergences (hatches). I'd look for Brachycentrus (Grannom) very soon. JG

Downsize Wooly Buggers usin shot as needed , by downsize i mean 12 , 14 , 10 being the biggest on regular nymph hooks , if u neeo shot put it up close 2" tops GOOD LUCK!!!

Back