Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Would it be a waste of time?

From Pittsburgh
I have a 5 year old with Erb's Palsy...she has progressed from a completely paralyzed arm to have about the same range as you. She goes fly fishing with me and can cast on her own.
Just slow it down and practice the proper casting techniques and you'll soon be out-casting many veterans who have sloppy casting habits (like me!)

Posted on: 2011/3/5 11:18

From SEPA

You wanna meet up at the Little Lehigh some morning, Boj, I'll put a rod in your hand and we'll see if we can't figure out something that works for you, lets you get your feet wet and if you can make it work, then you can buy some gear.

If it doesn't work, no expenditure.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 22:32

From South Jersey
I think it can be done. In many situations I use a side arm cast. It requires more open water, but it works. You may be able to nymph effectively.

I took up skiing at age 50. It ain't pretty, but I enjoy it.

Salmo

Posted on: 2011/3/6 13:02

From Far NE Phila., PA
Gfen:

Thanks for the offer. Maybe if you were closer to Phila.

Charlie

Posted on: 2011/3/7 11:15

From SEPA

If the mood hits, you'll know how to get in touch.. I don't leave the valley much, though, there be dragons out there.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 11:30

From Far NE Phila., PA
Fishidiot:

You mentioned about practicing casting in a field. I have an old 8' fly rod & reel, I got about 6 years ago from a friend. There's line on the reel but no leader or tippet. Do IU need to add a leader to practice?

Charlie

Posted on: 2011/3/7 15:14

From SEPA

(I'll just answer for him...)

Yes.

Do you have any fishing line, something to take the whipcrack at the end is essential to keeping the line from falling apart, and it'll help you understand the dynamics of the line and rod loading and unloading.

You don't need a crazy lot, but even if its a matter of buying a cheap tapered leader at any sporting goods store and just using it as it falls apart, You can tie it around a little puff of yarn to also help you begin to understand what's going on.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 15:46

Quote:

boj wrote:
I have been interested in learning to Fly fish for several years and though this year would be the time.

However, 2 years ago I developed a problem with my right are (a possible slight stroke and I'm right handed) in that I can't lift it about mid-chest level. My left arm is slightly better. I can raise it to the top of my head.

It's hard for me to picture how much range of motion you have with your right arm.

But in typical fly casting, your arm is not way up in the air. Watch some people cast, or casting videos and you'll see what I mean.

Also, casting side arm style with your right arm might work well for you, because you keep your arm low.

If that doesn't work, by all means learn to cast left handed. You could be casting short distances pretty quickly, then you'd gradually build it up.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 19:46

From LV
Do you know for sure that the problem with your arm isn't something else? Like Lyme disease?
I'm with Troutbert on this, you can probably get around itby altering your motion.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 20:38

From Far NE Phila., PA
Chaz:

I'm sure it's not Lyme Disease. I had spinal decompression surgery about 2 yrs ago and have 2 rods and 12 screws in my back as a result. The surgeon still feels my arm's going to improve.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 8:23

From collegeville, pa
Charlie,
even if you dont have a leader, start practiciing. Im not 100% sure on trout water over there but maybe when it gets nicer you can try the neshaminy for smallies/panfish or some of the parks that have ponds/lakes. My buddy lives in Langhorne next to corr creek park, the lake there looks fishy. If you can make it to the valley forge area there is valley creek and other stocked streams. Id be willing to help you out where ever, let me know. Shoot me a PM

Jeff

Posted on: 2011/3/8 8:42

From Far NE Phila., PA
Jeff:

With a screen name of govtmule, which branch do you work for? I've been retired from the U.S. Treasuary for 14 yrs. and have been enjoying every day of it.

May take you up on your offer when the weather gets a little nicer. Thanks for the offer.

Charlie

Posted on: 2011/3/8 11:30

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com