Wooly Bugger Help

Barnuba

Barnuba

Hey everyone! I am looking for some tips on how to fish a wooly bugger. Everyone makes this pattern seem so easy to fish…I just can’t figure it out! I have really only fished dry flies - streamers and nymphs are new to me.

Here is the set-up that I am using:
6’ 9” rod
#4 weight
7’ leader
6X tippet
Weighted and/or non weighted wooly bugger (I’ve tried both with no luck)

Any suggestions or thoughts about the set up I am using?

How should I fish this?
Quarter upstream, swing and strip…

I have primarily been fishing the Codorus Trophy Trout section because it is real close to my house - not sure if this is a good stream to fish the wooly bugger on...I've had good success with dry flies but not the bugger!

Sounds to me like you are fishing them right. Try slowing down your retrieve and get the WB deeper.

Not saying that you are doing anything right or wrong, but "trophy" waters mean something :)
I would try flourocarbon tippet in trophy water, some fish won't bite if they see the line.
:) in my novice opinion :p

IMO, 6X is too light a tippet for streamer/WB fishing; I'd use 3X instead. Try dead drifting your buggers like a nymph, adding an occasional twitch.

PS - I have best luck with smaller WBs for trout - sizes #10 & #12. Black/Olive, all Olive, and White work best IME.

Like others will say, there really is no wrong way to fish a bugger. I usually like to fish them under an indicator nymphing, with an occastional twitch like goodfortune said, highsticking with a few twitches, and swinging. I have caught fish stripping, but for the most part use other techniques.

I usually use size 10s and 8s for trout and smallies. Usually white, but black and olive work awesome too. And I almost always tie them with a bead or conehead and still usually put on a few split shot if needed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I switched up to a 3X tippet and have been out 3 more time...skunked and frustrated...I spent more time untangling my line from my rod or myself. :)

How long should my leader be? How long should I make my tippet? Should I use shot? Any other tips?

The best advice keep swinging

Did more swinging today...3X tippet...olive bugger with tungsten bead and a weight directly above the bead and another weight 10" up from the bugger. I struck out again...switched to dry flies and no luck either - the past 5 times that I have been out no fish or strikes.... :-(

Barnuba,
Don't get discouraged. It's likely more an issue with the stream than your method of fishing or what fly you're using. Codorus is a very difficult stream for beginners. It's fish are wild and spooky and the stream is very difficult to wade. Streamers tend to work best when the water is a bit high and cloudy - after a rain is a good time. Sunny days on Codorus when the water is clear is not a time I'd tie on a WB. Try small nymphs and terrestrials this time of year when you have these conditions.

I agree with using a heavier leader - for most streamer fishing I use very heavy tippet, usually testing at least 12 lbs breaking strength.

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess that I am trying to force the woolly bugger issue instead of using a pattern that is best suited for the current steam conditions.

I had some very fortunate beginners luck on the Codorus this past April/May - I caught/released a lot of nice browns using dry flys...it was almost to easy. Now nothing... What has changed so much in that period of time?

I have never nymphed before and want to give it a try - any suggestions?

Also, I did try a few terrestrials (foam ant and chernobyl ant) without having much luck. Should I fish terrestrials just like a dry fly?

Barnuba wrote:
Also, I did try a few terrestrials (foam ant and chernobyl ant) without having much luck. Should I fish terrestrials just like a dry fly?

Yes. Fish them by casting upstream and letting them drift back over the fish. The season for terrestrials is just starting. Chernobyl ants aren't the best pattern IMO.....unless it's early in the morning after a rain - try a black or dark brown one and they might take it for a cricket. Otherwise, I'd stick with small ants and beetles. Look for rising fish or trout holding a "station" (meaning it's stationary just under the surface) and serve 'em an ant. For this fishing, you should go back to a longer leader - I'd probably use at least nine feet with a tippet of 3.5 or 4lb test. Terrestrials can also be fished like a nymph under the surface but most folks fish them on top as dries.

i like size 6 to 8 for mine. Like stated before dead drifting with an indi is fun but you dont get to feel them pound the fly.

My new obsession is using leech paterns.

What I do first is to sit and just study the stream. Look for feeding fish, then I would walk 10'-20' from the water, looking for fish and then casting upstream so your nymph, streamer or dry drifts by him. The most important thing to remember is as natural a drift as possible, you want no drag so mending upstream is very important. If the fish don't bite what your using after 10 or 20 minutes change out your fly. Don't be discouraged. Fish like that are very weary, that's how they got to be so big. Also, just after a rain or even during a rain if it isn't to hard, fishing terestreals is very good and the rain will make the surface harder for the fish to see you

Back