Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Wooley Bugger Question

From Morgantown WV
I use one every time I go out fishing for trout. Once you have caught all the fish you think you can out of a hole. Try a Bugger before you move on.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 19:40

From Lehigh Valley
Slappin' the hamster.

Five minutes of this, and you'll agree it's the right thing to do.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 19:45

Quote:

Festus wrote:
Me and Little Lehigh used to be the only 2 guys in the world that hasn't caught fish on Wooley Buggers. A few weeks ago, I became the lone guy to be able to claim fame at that level.

I'm sure the answer is out there. I just haven't discovered it yet. But on another board, I once admited the same thing, and was taken to task by a New England expert about not knowing the proper way to fish a Wooley Bugger. To which I replied....."I didn't know there was a wrong way to fish a Wooley Bugger".

There's an answer there somewhere.

Yup your the lone cowboy now.

First Olive size 10 with a copper bead and pearl flash is how I roll.....er fish.
I have caught fish on white and brown a few times but my confidence is in olive.

I have my best luck on slow water stripped in slowwwww (emphasis on slow) though I have caught a few on the swing.

Oh and as a rookie bugger chucker I prefer the water to be an off olive color. I just don't get how you can convince a fish to pick one up in clear water? But I have seen it done.

As jay said I find that I get more of "the fish picked it up" rather than made an actual strike at the fly. You'll get a feel for this and it tends to happen this way more in slower water.

In a nut shell buy a few ( loive, brown, white and black) and head over to the Perkiomen FFO below the dam and just keep doing different things until you hook up. I have never fished there but checked it out a few times and those deep bends down stream look like bugger water to me.

I'll gladly fish with ya there just send me a PM with your info when your headed that way.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 20:20

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Slappin' the hamster.

I didn't need to see this!!

Now the next time I see a Hamster, I will want to slap it.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 8:40

From Johnstown, PA
I seem to have the most luck with an upstream cast with time to allow it to sink and then at the location you think the trout is kinda stop and lift , the strike almost always comes on the lift , uh........maybe strike isn't the right word , i agree it's more like they just pick it up. Bruno........slapping the hamster is just too funny LOL

Posted on: 2010/4/29 9:03

From SEPA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Slappin' the hamster.

Dude, really? This needed to be left in the 1996 time capsule.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 11:16

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

jayL wrote:
All of what Ryan mentioned is good.

Can I copy this and paste it after every one of my posts I ever make on this site?

Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:04

I believe I've caught more fish with a bead head and a little flasheboo for the tail. This may be different for other folks but I seem to catch more with a black bugger in the summer and a green one in the fall

Posted on: 2010/5/9 22:09

From pittsburgh
black and olive work the best for me brown has yet to produce and white the only whites ones i have ever hooked anyhitng with are still in the steelhead in elk i also tied one that was flo. orange to me it looks like a cheeto witha brighter orange tail hafta try that one for carp at the spillway in linesville

edit:
if you tie to immitate a crayfish just add a few peacock herl for antannae and maybe a lil phesant flank for claws

Posted on: 2010/5/10 18:06

-me

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com