Winter flies advice

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

Thinking about going out this weekend and doing some fly fishing. What flies would you guys recommend I use. There are natives and stocked trout(if any are left). Any advice is helpful, thanks.

Natives or wild browns?

Depends on the temp and you could see a hatch, and your area, the stream etc, but in general, typically stone flies, eggs, woolybuggers, different nymphs, midges, etc work well. There are a ton of variables.

FlyMaster99 wrote:
Thinking about going out this weekend and doing some fly fishing. What flies would you guys recommend I use. There are natives and stocked trout(if any are left). Any advice is helpful, thanks.

Flymaster,
This is really too broad a question to really give you a specific answer. However, a very broad answer is possible: for wild and stocked trout on a typical freestone stream under the current weather conditions, I would use egg flies or large nymphs.
I would probably avoid streamers unless the water temperature is over 40 degrees (which is not likely on most PA streams this week - The Susquehanna River is currently frozen).

You don't have to name the stream you're going to, but if you could describe the characteristics of the stream we could give you more specific answers.
Good luck with your trip.

I recommend small stone flies as the point fly and a frenchie or rainbow warrior as the top fly as an attract-or. This worked for me on the Gunpowder and the water was below 40 degrees.

Agree on the earlier points that there are a ton of variables. That said, I have found that a Pink San Juan BH works really well with wild browns this time of year.

ive been having great success with frenchies, stones and princes.. all beaded over an indicator

good luck

been having some luck with this setup on the kettle..stone-fly dry as the indicator with a rainbow warrior and frenchies as the droppers. fish with three flies on usually two same nymphs or mixed with the stone fly dry as indicator.

Back