Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Winter Flies (SW PA)

ok, i'm not to sure but correct me if i'm wrong, will be flies hatching in early march? i'm not sure but i don't think. if there aren't would it be best for me to use nymphs? i have gold bead prince nymphs, micro mayfly nymphs, and copper johns. I also just got some streamers including wooly buggers, muddler minnows and hornbergs. i will ask the guys at the shop but i just thought id ask you since you seem like you know the stream.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 18:36

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
have some caddis. Most streams all over the state have caddis. Also, one of the early season hatches are little black stoneflies. They're typically a sz 16 or 14. And have some sz 20-22 griffiths gnats for some midges. That should cover the next month around here.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 20:09

From Johnstown, PA
OK.....so there's a Pine creek in Allegheney co with a DHAL section on it? LOL there's a pine creek in half the counties in the State........GOOD LUCK n HAVE FUN

Posted on: 2011/2/15 8:42

From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

fishingkidPA wrote:
if you dont mind telling it would be cool if you would suggest some place for smallmouth on the creek with a fly rod.

The smallmouth fishing won't heat up until about June. I've always enjoyed the smallie fishing around the bridge at route 422.

Osprey-
Yep there is a DHALO section of Pine Creek in Allegheny County. It flows from North Park lake and empties into the Allegheny River down along 28. Great little place for those of us who live in the Pittsburgh area and need an afterwork fix, but nothing I would go out of my way to get to. If you're driving a couple hours from Jtown to fish, there are about 1000 streams that should be on your list before this one.

Posted on: 2011/2/15 10:07

yea pine creek blows but.... i cant drive and hour every day to go fly fishing some where decent, so i will be learning on the creek. It will be hard to learn cause there are barely anyfish to catch so i wont know if im doing it right or wrong. lol

Posted on: 2011/2/15 15:35

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Check out the Western PA instructional mini jam thread in the general forum. If you can make it, I'm sure you'll learn a lot of the sport.

Posted on: 2011/2/15 15:40

ok thanks. I saw that pic of the smallie you caught, wow! that was nice. I must say i think i like small mouth fishing more than trout
my biggest was 16 inch 2.5-3.0 pounds at McConnell's mill. The way i got into smallie fishing was actually cause we were fishing for trout and they were all fished out so we went small mouth fishing and it was so fun

Posted on: 2011/2/15 18:46

From Denver
I wouldn't give up hope completely on fishing around the DHALO section of Pine in Allegheny County. I know the summers can be rough on it, but it gets a fall stocking as well. I've fished it in late febuary before and was able to catch a few.

I live in the City and hit up Pine when I need a quick fix. I have always found dark buggers with a PT trailing to do well there. I have also caught a few fish on a San Juan.

Good luck if you try it again, let me know if you get any action.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 15:28

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com