Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Winter Fishing ..

From Howard Falls
Oh, as an aside, big ups to Lafuma for their windstoppability (which is awesome).

Posted on: 2012/11/10 8:43

From Philadelphia
The Fox's awful travel schedule has mercifully come to an end for a few months. Winter fishing will definitely be on the agenda. Limestoners are my primary target and I'm always open to meeting up with anyone interested in putting up with me for an afternoon. Tight lines!

Posted on: 2012/11/10 10:30

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
The Fox's awful travel schedule has mercifully come to an end for a few months. Winter fishing will definitely be on the agenda. Limestoners are my primary target and I'm always open to meeting up with anyone interested in putting up with me for an afternoon. Tight lines!
Fox, glad to see you made it home OK. We should get together again sometime this winter and fish.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 12:46

From North East PA
+1 to the Fox being back.

Got confirmation that I will be traveling to CA on New Year's day and be spending 2 days out there working. Really don't like this trip.....

We'll be looking to hook up with you in the future Fox.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 15:17

From Lancaster County
Quote:

djs12354 wrote:
Polar fleece is great stuff except for its lack of wind cutting ability. Put a nylon shell over it and it can keep you comfortable as part of a layering system.

I don't disagree with a fleece/breathable shell system, but I am also a fan of the PolarTec WindPro fabric. It does a much better job of blocking the wind than regular fleece. Gore makes a fabric call WindStopper, but I don't like it, as its not terribly breathable. Whatever you wear, make sure you adjust your layers appropriately. You don't want to be too warm (and sweat) as that will actually chill you. Pit zips, for instance, are a great thing to have on your shell. You also don't want constricting or super tight clothing, as that might inhibit circulation. No circulation to an area means that area might freeze. Especially be aware of this with socks. You might be tempted to double up on socks to keep your toes worm, but may end up killing circulation to your toes by doing that, and actually make them colder.

On the subject of cotton, I think that can be summed up in two words - cotton kills. Its not a fabric one should wear when out in the winter elements. You risk hypothermia if you're geared up in it in the winter time.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 21:41

From Southwest, Pa
if you fish a lot in the winter, especially for steel, which could expose you to weather in the 20's, invest the 100 dollars in the late spring for the following and never be cold again.

patagonia webspecials in May/June

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/m ... weight-crew?p=44421-0-220

this ^ should be your first layer

2.) a wool overshirt

3.) http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/m ... k-baselayer?p=43655-0-309

4.) wading jacket

I fish w. those 3 layers under my wading jacket, am mobile, and very, very warm. Just be sure to hydrate a lot because the capilene, like underarmour, will wicker and pull a lot of moisture out of your body.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 11:23

-Art Lee

From South East PA
Quote:

Love2fish wrote:
Also stay away from anything cotton in winter!!!!!!!Wool or high tech stuff is the way to go, cotton absorbs your sweat (yes you will sweat a little) and gets very cold when wet.

Verry important!!
Also get boots one size bigger for more socks. Keep moving, move in and out of the water and not to deep. Take gloves off when moving and put them in side of your waders. You can dry your hands but when your gloves are wet they will be wet all day.
Good Luck!!
Sean

Posted on: 2012/11/15 12:58

From Ferguson Twp.
This thread should be kept at the top for the next few months, very pertinent information here. I fish all winter as well, all the things I practice are in here and then some. I love to catch trout in the snow, their's something special about doing that.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 7:08

From Couldn't Care Less
Any winter wading jackets you guys can recommend?
This weekends chill made me realize I can't go out in the thin wading jacket I have .. more for spring/Fall.

// JT.. doctor tomorrow so I have to ask when the soreness goes away. Have more movement and def feels like it healed yet it is still sore and hurts some .. 3 f'en weeks this AM and I had two weekends where the better 1/2 said take the day to fish

Posted on: 2012/11/25 8:02

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Any winter wading jackets you guys can recommend?
This weekends chill made me realize I can't go out in the thin wading jacket I have .. more for spring/Fall.

Mr. Lee - Don't think of a wading jacket as the "only" thing to wear above your waders.

Think of it as a system. The outer jacket only has to block the wind, keep you dry, and be breatheable. The stuff you wear under it will keep you warm in the cold, and you can adjust it as conditions warrant.

By adding something like a polypropylene underwear top/underarmor/capilene (etc), then a fleece shirt or jacket under your wading jacket, you have a layering system that can be adjusted as needed to stay comfortable. Breatheability is key, as is moisture wicking ability. Skip the cotton.

Buying different "warmth" wading jackets can get ugly expensive!

Posted on: 2012/11/25 8:50

From North East PA
Also, don't think that it has to be snug fitting to keep you warm.

I prefer the "long-johns" to be close fitting, but the other layers will fit more loosely for ease of movement, as well as allowing perspiration to evaporate easier.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 8:57

From Couldn't Care Less
Got it gents .. I have a gore-tex LLBean jacket and just layer up underneath.

I have used breathable winter running tights and underarmor type shirts underneath when skiing so I'll go with that.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 9:21

From Landenberg PA
Seems the core temperature stuff is on here, but as for legs, I wear a silk weight or compressed fit long underwear, a heavier fleece (mid weight or polar weight) and then depending on temperature, sweat pants or jeans on top. For socks I use a cold weather liner with a wool sock.

And you don't need to spend a fortune on this either, Wlamart has all of it for cheaper than Cabelas, or use your off season hunting layers.

Now, I do have to ask, any recommendations for gloves?

Posted on: 2012/11/25 13:38

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Paulson wrote:
Now, I do have to ask, any recommendations for gloves?

This is easy - get a pair of these.

You can find these at a lot of places. I've tried neoprene, fleece, and nothing beats these. Wool keeps you warm when wet, and holds up much better than fleece. They're cheap enough to just throw out when they get nasty, but also wash up well.

Keep a spare pair in your vehicle - it's easy to lose a glove when fishing.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 16:43

From Landenberg PA
Thanks HA, I was about to buy some of those anyway.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 19:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com