Will work for help!!

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Ive been fly fishing for a couple years but really started seriously this season. Full of determination i hit the stream 4-5 times a week. Ive caught 3 fish since late march til tonight. Im fishing the little lehigh because it seems this is the stream i get the most fly advice on.

I cant seem to figure this thing out. Is there anyone who would be willing to "baby sit" me on the little lehigh for a while? I understand how frustrating it could be to watch a noob scare fish all day so id be able to pull my weight by working for it.

Please help!

We were/are all newbies once...meet people and ask questions...

Keep your eye on the forum for upcoming newbie brush up days as well!

agree with volks. experience is everything. fish, fish, fish. Ask questions, read and fish. the only way to get 'better' at this sport. Nobody is really good they are just a little better. lol.

J55tyger88 wrote:
Ive been fly fishing for a couple years but really started seriously this season. Full of determination i hit the stream 4-5 times a week. Ive caught 3 fish since late march til tonight. Im fishing the little lehigh because it seems this is the stream i get the most fly advice on.

I cant seem to figure this thing out. Is there anyone who would be willing to "baby sit" me on the little lehigh for a while? I understand how frustrating it could be to watch a noob scare fish all day so id be able to pull my weight by working for it.

Please help!

J55tyger88,
Id love to go with you to the LL. Im also a newbie but know the little lehigh pretty while. I'm originally from quakertown and get back down there at least once or twice a month. PM me your info and maybe we can scare some fish together.

I love the LL as I'm faily comfortable on that stream, tho depending on the day, my success varies.

Like JT said, I'm in the "are" category but even when I'm alone, most anglers seem too love give advise. Also, considering that most of the newbie brush ups are on the LL (seems to be our trend) make it ur bidnezz to get ur arse to the next one when it's scheduled. ;-)

Much of the time the experienced guys on this board don't even take their rods on the h2o and basically shadow u and give tons of advice and corrections. It also ends up being a really good time getting together with friends and introducing new ones from the board.

Next time I head up there I'll pm ya and maybe we can hook up.

Thanks dudes!

Id like to go to a newbie jam. They posted in the meet up section im assuming?

Bstone pm sent.

Lets do this stagger!

55tyger,
You might consider fishing a different water for different fish. To be sure, you see a lot of discussion of the Little Lehigh Creek among beginners on this forum but that's mainly because that is where a large number of the forum community live and the stream is local to our beginner events. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good place for beginners to learn on their own - LL is actually a rather challenging stream with wild trout and educated stockies that see flies all day. Even experienced FFers can get schooled on the LL.

Instead, why not check out some warm water opportunities? For the next 4-5 weeks panfish will be in the shallows in virtually every lake or pond. Find a nearby state park or lake with public access nearby and go for sunfish. They will grab just about any fly and the bigger ones fight better than trout. There's some great fishing nearby for beginners......just gotta "think outside the trout box" as I like to say. :)

Heed the wise words of the Fishidiot. When I began this journey last year I thought it was only abt trout. Having never fished in my life, no clue abt WW species that are all around me.

By mid-June was just getting very frustrated with the skunk but decided to try a local creek not knowing really where to scout out some trout. Much to my surprise I landed a ton of bluegills, pan fish, rock bass, etc ... even started a thread asking if "X fish are stupid?" They are not only a blast to fish for but also a great confidence and skillz builder!

I guess im too stubborn. The LL will be mine!

Be the first person to get to the kiddie pool (next to the hatchery) in the morning and indicator nymph or bounce a bugger around. Fish will be caught.

I have to go along with fishi.........try a pond full of nice bluegills and work on rod control , casting , hooking , landing etc, and then take what you've learned to the LL. I think you will be surprised.

Osprey .. in my short experience I have found that going to a creek with a nice population of bluegills and such is great for 'practice'.

The big difference compared to a pond is you can 'practice' in the natural surroundings similar to other trout creeks. For me it is a blast C & R'ing tons of fish (which doesn't happen for me when fishing for trout) but I also get to concentrate/learn on my surroundings ..... (example) water movement, being cautious of trees behind me as not to get hung up, forced to use different casting methods, etc .. to go along what you listed

J55,
The Unami is great place to "practice". You'll have a blast with little smallies and greenies. You may even catch a holdover.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ive been to the streams loaded with bluegills and other panfish and feel like the basics are adequate enough catch trout, i think its my drift and roll cast thats doing me in. Need to work on my fly depth and placement of splits and indicator.

Was at the LL tuesday and had a nice hook up with a goofy wooly bugger i tied. (Tied it cause i thought it looked cool and wasnt expecting it to work)I lost the fish due to my clinch not coming undone. Needless to say my knots are inadequate or im being lazy. Probably the latter.

My point is all these "little" things that need work, turn my fishing trip into a big goose egg.

Gonna focus on the little things tonight and see if i can right this ship.

Thanks again for the input.

I would suggest using the Davy Knot instead of the clinch knot. Since I stared using the Davy Knot, i have not lost a fish because of it.
Google Davy Knot. It is easy to tie and strong too.

whheff wrote:
I would suggest using the Davy Knot instead of the clinch knot. Since I stared using the Davy Knot, i have not lost a fish because of it.
Google Davy Knot. It is easy to tie and strong too.

Its a very good knot. I fished it for awhile till I started losing fish cause of it. Since then I used an improved clinch for just about everything. I used the ICK before the davy. Got turned on to the davy cause its ease of tying. It defiantly does not have the knot strength as the ICK. Since i stated going back to the ICK, I have not had a failure. But to each there own. Find what works for you, and thats all that matters.

Also, good quality tippet matter is a must. If you ask me. I use Frogs Hair fluorocarbon. A little pricey but well worth it.

I agree with using the improved clinch knot. With light tippets (4x-7x) it is a must. I've done some experimenting and it seems to me that using 5 twists and some saliva seems to work the best. Pulling the tag end as you tighten the knot helps keep things tight and pretty. If your using 0x-3x, standard clinch works
fine but the above formula still works too.

Spent alot of time at the LL this weekend and found some success on pale evening duns. Weights been lifted.

Side note for any LL trout reading this; Its ON!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Attachments

• rps20130505_195208_399.jpg
    rps20130505_195208_399.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 3
  • rps20130505_195316_374.jpg
    rps20130505_195316_374.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
  • rps20130505_195352_414.jpg
    rps20130505_195352_414.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1
  • rps20130505_195437_628.jpg