Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Wild Trout vs. Stocked

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
First, the indicators aren't perfect. Thats why there's a bunch of them. Having none very likely means stocked, having all very likely means wild, but having some and not others is a judgement call.

Plus, your fish does have the eye spot. It's faint and gray, but its there. I've seen them range from gray to blue to black.

It's wild.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 12:24

From SE PA
I think, I see what your talking about. It looks like an ash smug right behind the eye. When I read spot in the previous post I was thinking more of a defined spot like the others on the body.

Thanks for clarifying.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 8:20

From Southwest, Pa
all of these fish are either fingerlings or wilds from the same stream... so hard to tell, but I would like to see someone take a crack at it. Some of the lings get the blue spot.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

March fish, pale... colored up quite nice by june... territorial fish

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

way up towards the headwaters in the posted sections.. surely natural repro, but the bigger they get, the harder imo, as I guarantee some of these are wild but don't look so:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/6/19 0:09

-Art Lee

The long, and short, of it; it is impossible to determine with any certainty without genealogical evaluation whether a fish is wild or stocked. As people have said before, there are some good indicators in determining a fishes origin, but none of them are airtight.

I think some of the indicators are bordering on junk science and people take a lot of liberty when they make evaluations.

Perhaps an easier question would be is there a god?

Posted on: 2011/6/19 0:27

From Harrisburg
True statement.
As I am merely a fisherman, if a fish "sure looks wild", I'll call it wild and be satisfied with it. If it "kinda looks wild", I just dont call it wild. Im pretty confident with the amount of them that I've caught by now that I'm correct atleast in the 90 percentile.
And sometimes, that fish that "sure looks wild", can be a very satisfying catch.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 9:12

It's interesting how these discussions have changed on the paflyfish board since the early days of the website. Back then there was far greater skepticism about the extent of wild trout populations in PA.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 9:46

Steve,

My shot. All of them could go either way for me, so its just a shot, nothin more. All very pretty fish.

1. Wild
2. Fingerling
3. Fingerling
4. Fingerling
5. Wild
6. Wild
7. Unsure, but boy is that pretty. Great butter color!
8. The underwater one. Wild, more confident of this one than the others.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 11:01

From Southwest, Pa
cray,

I labeled exactly as you have...

sender is right, without genetics, it's impossible to determine. I will say, on the stream these fish came from, i'd rather catch the fingerlings as they put up a hell of a fight.

the local chapter has a pipe dream to turn this place into the next little j... quite frankly, I don't want to see that happen. Last year, we had a very difficult year and there were never many anglers out. I never had to wait to fish any section of the stream and was catching very large fish, all 15 or bigger.

This year, a lot of the smaller lings from years prior are in the 12-15 range, making the fishing easier, however, I witnessed a lot of creeling from idiots who have no respect for what is going on here, which is why I'm against making the place more known/accessible.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 16:02

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/3205/St ... -vs-wild-trout-appearance

an interesting thread over at troutnut... cray, check out the blue on that brown a few posts down!

Posted on: 2011/6/22 6:00

-Art Lee

From LV
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you guys about without genetics you don't know for sure. If you take into account where you are fishing, and if it is a stocked stream the stocking rate, you can pretty much nail it every time.
I'd say the first brown is wild the next three are stocked and the last four are wild, but you cannot see all the fins of the fish so all bets are off.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 21:23

Well, I think genetics CAN BE an indicator like the others, I never said you could be "sure", meaning like the others, it's not airtight. Just another indicator.

And that one is more difficult than the others. It requires knowing the stream and its wild stock well, it requires knowing the PFBC strain well, and it requires a substantial difference between the two (which isn't always the case).

Most of us said 90 or 95%. If that accounts for "pretty much every time" then we're in agreement. The issues are streams that have both stocked and wild fish in the same water, where the stocked fish (fingerling or adult) can live for at least more than a year. There are MANY such streams. But even given all of those circumstances, you can more often than not still hazard an awfully good guess.

By the way, I fished that one stream with the big brookies again recently, and got a few. One was definitely a fresh stocker, and 2 were smallish and definitely wild. But the others were like those ones before. That's an example of where I'm not sure. There are both stocked fish and wild fish in the same water. Then there are the large colored up ones. Fins were perfectly formed, but they were opaque and the black/white line wasn't sharp. I still lean stocked holdovers. I was pretty confident of that till I talked to you and Mike at the FF show, which put some doubt in my mind, and that doubt does still exist. But seeing them again I can't bring myself to get on board with it. Wish I woulda had the camera along.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 23:38

From Southwest, Pa
so chaz,

is this fish wild or stocked? comes from class a waters.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/6/22 23:44

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
i also can put to rest the most wild brooks don't exceed 10 inches. I fish a water that has been named here and catch at least 5 or more wild brooks over 10 inches everytime I go, not to mention large browns up to 15.

it's NEARLY impossible w.o genetics... truly

Posted on: 2011/6/22 23:47

-Art Lee

From Harrisburg
Chaz wrote:
Quote:
you can pretty much nail it every time.

Quote:
pretty much

Two key words in almost any sentence they are included in. What that tells me is that we are "pretty much" in agreement, not disagreement.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 5:40

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com