Where and what to fish

FlyForFun

FlyForFun

Ok, so i wasn't able to take my fly rod out last weekend but i am thinking this sunday i will give my first try to Fly Fishing. Was gonna hit either the E branch of the brandywine or ridley creek. What would you use for flies and which do you think would be more productive? Both had fall stocking but its gonna have a high of 36 on sunday. Need advice and anyone is welcome to join.

might be pretty tough to fish them sunday..water gonna be really cold and fish will be extra sluggish. fish em low and slow.

I'm not familiar with either. But don't get discouraged if you don't do well. This can be a tough time of year to fish.

I would mainly nymph with either a bead head prince or a copper john size 14 or 16 this time of the year. Look for deep pools with rocky bottoms where current pulls through and try to make the nymph bump bottom as much as possible. Mainly enjoy the practice/nature and hope to catch a trout here and there.

haha, im gonna be in my late season archery gear and waders....don't want to freeze my butt off to much!

Sounds like you'll be all set for the elements. All good suggestions above. Take your time and work it real slow. This time of year is a neat time to be on the stream. Have fun!

I like the nymph suggestions above, a small size wooly bugger does well for me in the winter as well. Egg patterns have been killing it for me on stocked fish as well this year when I have fished them.

Stick with nymphs and the reliable Sucker Spawn. It is a great winter fly just like all egg patterns for stockies. As most people have already said, work it slow and most of all have fun. Maybe some tiny Zebra Midges too.

Back