What to use First Fork and Kettle week of May 16?

S

Schraeds

I'm a beginner going to fish Sinnemahoning First Fork And Kettle Creeks week of May 15. Any suggestions on what to use. Was going to start with Nymphs - Hares Ear, Pheasant tail below brown Drake depending on what Hatch I can Id. Any and all input welcomed. Thx

Hello Schraeds, and welcome to our online fly fishing (FFing) community.

Your fly selection is a good start. I'd recommend including a basic streamer pattern or two (Wooly Buggers are always reliable).

The most prevalent insects you're likely to see would be tan caddis, sulphur and march brown mayflies so some basic dries that imitate these would be useful too.

Good luck on your trip.

I agree with Dave. Take some buggers..white, black, olive, brown, or all colors..

For nymphs, just take your pheasant tails, hares ear, and add some prince nymphs.

If you're just a beginner get the hang of actually fishing and controlling your rod, line, and drift before you worry too much about fly selection...just my opinion.

Thanks for the input Dave. Will add those Dries to the mix. I'll let you know how we do. Much appreciated.

jifigz We'll try the Prince and work on technique. I'll be looking for a spot where the trees aren't too hungry and eating my flies. Thanks Much

Back