What flies should I be using this time of year? Nymph or Dry fly

HopBack

HopBack

I know it's ideal to match the hatch but generally speaking what types of dry's and nymphs (sizes too) would you suggest to use for the most success this time of year and going into the fall? I'll be mostly fishing in fertile streams in southeastern and south central PA if that helps. Thanks for all your help!

There is no rule, this time of year most people fish tricos (during the hatch) or terrestrials. If something is working for you, stick with it. There are no "rules" in fly fishing.

Blue wing olives in sizes 16-24. Dries, emergers and nymphs. PT nymphs are a good imitation. That's my best suggestion and favorite fall hatch. EDIT: excuse my first post, I thought you were asking for summer suggestions, not fall.

My fishing all summer and fall can pretty much be summed up like this - unless I see something hatching to match, first thing I try is a beetle.
A slate drake is also a good dry to try now too

Beetles and ants are my starting point, unless there are bugs on the water or in the air.

Tricos are the only hatch that is really happening now. They are also not on all stream. Always have BWO,caddis, PT,HE,scuds,ants. Streamers are always a good bet.

Thanks for all the feedback. The only real success that I have had lately has been with streamers. Black flash back PT nymphs were hot for about a day for me. I haven't gotten a rise out of a caddis or a stimi for a while now, and have seen any fish rising period.

dryflyguy wrote:
My fishing all summer and fall can pretty much be summed up like this - unless I see something hatching to match, first thing I try is a beetle.

This is good advice!

Trout fishing in the late summer and fall months, esp Sept and October, can be rather difficult Hopback. Many streams remain fairly warm, low and clear, and often don't have as many fish as springtime and early summer (the stocked streams will see heavy attrition of stocked fish in the spring and summer). Generally, I tend to use pretty small nymphs and dry flies in the fall. Fertile streams in SEPA will likely enhance this - I'd stick with nymphs and dries in the smaller sizes - say #16 down to #20. This is pretty small. The actual patterns aren't too important. In addition to beetles, some basic dry flies like Adams or Griffith's Gnat will work well.
Later in October and November, higher water levels and spawning season will usually put trout in a more aggressive mood and streamers will continue to fish well and you can go with bigger nymphs in the #14 up to #12 range.

Fishing can be hot after a rain raises the stream level a bit, try drifting and stripping buggers in darker colors.

Coming up on Oct and fall is in the air. I also primarily fish the Eastern part of Pa .. Poconos down to Valley Creek area.

What hatches should I be looking for?

Caught the dry 'bug' this past summer .. if nothing is hatching what are the go to dry's for those fall into winter months?

Iso's, BWO's maybe some caddis. I've been on the lehigh in the gorge 3 times in the past 2 weeks and the first time they were keyed in on the stoneflies(yellow) and the last two times it was all about the iso's. I had pretty good luck with parachutes and rusty spinners but I had to lighten up my patterns some. Duns are like a light brown with tan tails and the spinners are more like a rust color or burnt orange almost.

What is an ISO?

Slate drake. Short for isonychia.

Leadwing coachman I think some people also call them.

Dcap wrote:

Leadwing coachman I think some people also call them.

Dcap wrote

Slate drake. Short for isonychia.

And u expect us to get from ISO to that :lol:

I'm so used to hearing iso anymore I forget most people call them slate drakes. But yeah, mahogany dun, slate drake, leadwing coachman, or iso all the same bug. I'm not trying to act like I call them all by their Latin names. Sorry for the confusion.

Back