Well stocked fly box?

D

dickey

I have been away from fly fishing for about 15 years and have just started to get back in to it. I lived in North Carolina and fished the streams of the Blue Ridge for a number of years. Since moving back to Pa. I have not fished at all. My question is what would be considered a good selection of flies for streams in north central Pa?

dickey,
Your selection of flies from your Blue Ridge days should provide a good selection for NC PA. The streams, fish, and conditions are similar.

Take a look at some of our fishing reports for counties in NC PA such as Potter, Lycoming, Clinton, Sullivan, Cameron, Forest, Tioga Centre, etc. and see what folks were using.

Agreed ^

Trout are........trout; no matter where they are found.

While certain hatches may occur in some streams and not in others, the best strategy to get started is to have flies that are proven to work in nearly all streams.

Here is a list of a Top Dozen Flies I posted a while back.

These flies represent a lot of the most common insects/creatures found in many, if not most streams in PA (and most everywhere else for that matter).

It may pay to ask around or look at a hatch chart for particular streams, but I have confidence that having the flies listed above will get you started an enable you to catch fish just about anywhere.

Good luck.

The top dozen flies mentioned will get you there! Once you find a preferred creek/stream you can develop local knowledge, and in short order supplement with local favorites.

Thank you all for responding. I have saved and printed The Top Dozen and am getting ready to start tying some up.

Sometimes it's better to have a poorly stocked box!

i.e. poorly stocked box = you know it's poor and thus tie or pick up the go-to flies in preparation for every trip.

well stocked box = you are blinded by how many flies you have, and thus don't worry about stocking up for trips. Problem is, most of them have been untouched for years, that's why they're still in your box. The ones you'll actually use, well, you used, and now you're out....

The Allegheny is known for its Hendrickson hatch. Try nymphs, soft hackles and dry flies.

Back