Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Waders or Not

From harlansburg
I wet wade, but I always wear my wading boots. I tried some types of sandals for a while, but they fill with gravel and that can get painful! got some neoprene socks for inside the wading boots.
yes, chance of infections if ya fall and get cut, but hell, kids run and swim in streams all summer. you just have to decide for yourself if the risk is worth it.
one benefit, minnows might come up and exfoliate your skin for you! folks pay big bucks at the spa for such treatment!!

Posted on: 2010/6/22 21:53

From Southwest, Pa
Jay's story is frightening, but not enough for me to stop wet wading. I start earlier and end long after most.

don't take fly fishing so serious. I throw fliesin a pair of nike shorts, a cut-off t-shirt, etnies, a ball cap turned to the back, and a small Orvis fanny pack from 1980. First time I fish w. some I'm sure they're thinking, is this kid serious?

I love fishing behind a gear hog who can't even throw a loop.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 18:42

-Art Lee

Just use your head. My Mom used to put a lap belt around my waist in the front seat when I was little. I wear waders most of the time just because I like to kneel in the water which is just too tough on my knees. Kills my waders as well, but they are replaceable. Also add wild geranium to plants that aren't so pleasant to meet up with. Blisters everywhere!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/6/25 23:13

From Cody Wyoming
I think for me there are a couple advantages to wet wading. One is that I'm a pretty aggressive wader and usually end up crossing ridiculous waters to get to the less fished areas. I end up taking a swim most of the times and probably would be dead as water would have filled my waders like air in a parachute and drug me over some pretty steep water falls. Fran betters said he would scope out some big boulders down stream before he entered fast water just in case something like that happened and admitted that practise saved his life more than once. I now wear swimming trunks and t-shirt and wear a fanny pack that I've learned can fill up with water in less than 5 seconds of being submerged (including fly boxes). Another advantage for me is that I usually walk long distances to get to my spots and not having to walk around in the extra gear gives me a little more reserved energy for the fishing and swimming. The disadvantage I found out this year is the poison ivy everyone is warning about. I had to walk through about 100 yards of the stuff and boy did I pay for it. Another advantage for me is that I'm able to feel if the temperature starts heating up. I often find areas where slicks of warm water run and will move up to where the water is cooler and I can tell when I'm coming up on a spring because the temps drop suddenly. I usually start fishing a little harder then. I never considered the ethics of it though and that nasty wound that JayL showed will make me think about packing a pair of waders for those "iffy" waters.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 13:21
Philippians 1:21

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
JayL showed will make me think about packing a pair of waders for those "iffy" waters

Define "iffy" waters. The bacteria may be worse in some streams than others, but I'm not sure its "pollution" related. I'm sure there are many types of bacteria that can cause infection, but many of them are naturally occurring and exist in even "pristine" waters.

Some waters may indeed be more prone to infection that others, but I think that factor takes a backseat to other factors, such as the nature/severity of the injury and immune system differences. For instance, in Jay's case, he didn't think the injury was that bad, but it went straight to the bone, so the bacteria penetrated past his best defensed area (the skin and flesh) and straight to where he had less defenses to fight it off. Had he fell slightly differently, it may still have punctured his skin and looked just as bad, but he may have fought it off it may have healed over quickly.

Bottom line: just fishing cleaner waters is not much of a protection. The best protection is not to fall and cut yourself!!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/11 14:22

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have wet wade several times in the past when it was really hot. I have not recently and do not intend to. After much thought I will stick to my waisthighs. When a did wet wade I always used my wading boots,wading socks and long nylon pants so they would dry quickly.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 18:09

From Montgomery County
Except for the day I decided I thought 47 degree water on the Delaware would be refreshing (bad idea)... I wouldn't be caught dead in waders in this 90+ degree weather.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 18:15

From Clinton County, Pa.
bam, It's not bad on the limestone streams in the mornings fishing Tricos. The hatch is usually done by 9am so I'm off the stream before it gets really hot. Wet wading in 47 degree water temps does not sound fun. LOL!

Posted on: 2010/8/11 18:23

From girard pa
i have no prob with wet wadeing it your pick. There are some streams that i would not advise it. But in most just wear stable shoes and make sure to shower when you get home. I dont do much fishin in the summer unless its on the boat in the big lake. But we do a lot of water rescue training in the tribs and have never had a prob. Just be sure you have no open cuts.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 21:29

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com