Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Valley Creek and Strike Indicators

From Bucks County
I didn't know exactly where to post this.

I am planning on taking a little trip to Valley Creek this Saturday and am torn on what rod(s) to take. I was curious if a strike indicator would spook fish and turn them off, or if I should bust out the 10ft tenkara rod and high stick the runs.

I know the fish are skittish, and don't want to be ruined by an indicator and my small 3wt.

Every time I have fished Valley it has been on top, or after a rain and throwing small streamers.

Posted on: 2/10 9:23

Re: Valley Creek and Strike Indicators

Bassman - i usually fish Valley with a 7' 3wt. If i am fishing with an indicator it is a small airlock float. Have not seen it spook anything.

Posted on: 2/10 12:58

From Bucks County
I have some loon strike putty I can make into a pretty small indicator. I also have some of the smallest thingamabobbers, but even those I feel might be to large.....maybe I am just overthinking how easily spooked these fish are.

Posted on: 2/10 13:45

From Philadelphia, PA
When I fish Valley, I usually drift small nymphs/woolly buggers as droppers off a size 12 or 14 CDC and Elk.

Posted on: 2/12 15:30

From collegeville, pa
Here's a thought...try it yourself and see what happens....

Posted on: 2/15 6:54

From Southeast, PA
gov'tmule.... not helpful at all. you should keep comments like that to yourself and off the forum since we try to foster a supportive community here.

In an attempt to HELP and answer your question - I fish valley all of the time. 7"6' 3 wt and I typically use HALF of a foam oval stick on indicator, orvis type if I am nymphing. Sometime even a quarter of one.

I have definitely spooked fish with it, usually due to a less than ideal cast or a particularly skittish fish. It has a lot to do with the personality of the fish and they are all different. You'll find the bigger guys are more (really) spooky than the smaller fish- they know what's up. Some will spook really easy, others you could cast to all day.

I would try different indicators out and figure out what works for you. I don't suggest a thingamabobber unless you are fishing bigger water - they just splat too much for a tiny creek like valley. I only go to the bobber if Im fishing heavy current and heavy flies on bigger water where you have more of a spook buffer.

I've tried new zealand's, dry dropper, foams, you name it. Dry dropper is best IMO, but if you are trying to fish a couple nymphs and no dries I'd say give the foam ones a try. They are my personal go to.

Just rip em in half, or even a quarter if fishing small nymphs that aren't going to sink it (the 1/4). You'll find the full foam is not necessary most of the time and you can get away with less.

To add to this - I would fish a dry dropper 100% of the time if I wasn't throwing two nymphs. Usually when I figure out what nymph they are taking consistently, I'll switch over to the dry dropper with the productive nymph. Only reason I don't fish the dry dropper 100% on valley is having to constantly change the tippet between the dry and the dropper to adjust for the depth of different pools. The stick on you can slide on your leader a few times before it loses it's effectiveness, so I opt for that if there isn't considerable surface feeding.

Hope that helps! Good luck out there.

Posted on: 2/20 20:12

From collegeville, pa
Jacob.....relax buddy....and I'm serious, try it and see what happens...you may actually learn something

Posted on: 2/21 7:37

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Seems like Jacob is saying the same thing as Govtmule, just in more words.

It is not really the indicator that spook the fish so much as the not so stealthy fisherman.

Posted on: 2/21 7:58

From Chester County
Quote:

thebassman wrote:
I have some loon strike putty I can make into a pretty small indicator. I also have some of the smallest thingamabobbers, but even those I feel might be to large.....maybe I am just overthinking how easily spooked these fish are.

Guys caught fish before indicators were "invented"....

Don't make a bobber out of strike putty; try rolling a little on your tippet knot and in a couple of spots up the leader just to color it up for visibility. Less is more. The stealthiest thing to use is bright colored mono or even backing to make a sighter and tie it in just above your tippet section.

Fish upstream, but try to angle your casts and mend if necessary, to prevent your line and leader from floating over the fish.

Always try to keep as much line and leader off the water as possible (a longer rod helps).

Approach the section of stream cautiously and fish near to far. Fish from the bank first and slowly lengthen out your casts and wade if necessary to cover the water. To put it another way, don't boom a cast over unseen fish that may be close by and spook the pool or run before you have a chance to fish it out.

Pretend you're at Sunday Mass and kneel down to the fish Gods...they like that and ye shall be rewarded.

Finally, at this time of year, and in low and clear water...go small or go home.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2/21 8:30

Edited by afishinado on 2017/2/21 10:40:48

From Delaware Co.
All good points from afish , another option of an indicator that lays softly on the water and doesn't spook many fish is the New Zealand Strike Indicator

Posted on: 2/21 14:55

From Southeast, PA
Quote:
Jacob.....relax buddy....and I'm serious, try it and see what happens...you may actually learn something

I apologize, as I took your comment in a much different tone than what I believe you intended - my bad.

As it was pointed out, we really were saying the same thing, more or less.

Just go out and try some different things and find out what works for your personal style!

Posted on: 2/21 18:41

From Lewistown, PA
It's not as easy to adjust as some indicator systems, but have you considered a dry-and-dropper? It can be very subtle, and is my preferred method of nymphing in low, clear water. I usually use a #12-14 poly wing caddis (it's tied with a poly yarn wing - I use a product called "congo hair" from fly tyer's dungeon) or a fairly bushy adams or parachute adams. Tie the dry on with 3x or 4x, then tie the nymph off the bend of the dry fly with lighter tippet (so that you don't lose both flies when the nymph gets snagged someplace you can't retrieve it).

Every other indicator system I've tried has spooked fish at one time or another. You could also try fishing no indicator at all. Just be sure to cast as close to directly upstream as you can, otherwise you'll have trouble detecting strikes.

Posted on: 3/1 10:59

From Luzerne County, PA
"Don't make a bobber out of strike putty; try rolling a little on your tippet knot and in a couple of spots up the leader just to color it up for visibility. Less is more. The stealthiest thing to use is bright colored mono or even backing to make a sighter and tie it in just above your tippet section."

Thank you very much, excellent advice.

Posted on: 3/3 16:47

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

govtmule wrote:
Here's a thought...try it yourself and see what happens....

Good one. LOL Perfect answer. How did one ever fish before the internet? LOL

Posted on: 4/11 13:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
If it's up, I'll use a strike indicator on valley. But in typically low flows, I usually do a dry dropper. It's a perfect dry dropper stream. Not too deep or fast, so you don't need much weight.

And I'm a guy who likes to ditch indies. Just not there. Can't get close enough to high stick.

Posted on: 4/11 20:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip.
One or two.
Three or four.
More than four.
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com