Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Valley Creek and Strike Indicators

From philadelphia

I hope you have been able to get into fish on valley since then.
From my experience on average the larger the nymph the smaller the fish, smaller the fly larger the fish. I hope the pod under the 202 bridge is still sipping midges. You have like 1-2 casts on them before they dive. [/quote]

that's very interesting. that is almost completely opposite of my experience.

when i first started fishing valley,i used small nymphs and beadheads.i caught a lot of small fish.

for years i have been fishing it with bigger flies and catch decent size fish. i have never caught the 18" fish you speak of,but,most i catch are 8-14"

i use flies from 14 up to size eight. i would use larger,but,a size six can damage a trout.

Posted on: 2/16 0:40

From West Chester/Morgantown 304
Quote:

shakey wrote:

I hope you have been able to get into fish on valley since then.
From my experience on average the larger the nymph the smaller the fish, smaller the fly larger the fish. I hope the pod under the 202 bridge is still sipping midges. You have like 1-2 casts on them before they dive.

that's very interesting. that is almost completely opposite of my experience.

when i first started fishing valley,i used small nymphs and beadheads.i caught a lot of small fish.

for years i have been fishing it with bigger flies and catch decent size fish. i have never caught the 18" fish you speak of,but,most i catch are 8-14"

i use flies from 14 up to size eight. i would use larger,but,a size six can damage a trout.[/quote]

Go deep, light tippet, and think micro and be prepared to loose a lot of flies to get the drift into those areas. I have not fished valley in 4 years, but I would assume they are still in the general vacinity. If you spend enough time on valley, put in the time, and target those specific areas it will be very rewarding. What I was stating was only in the park, I have caught larger Browns outside of the park area. If you talk to the regulars on valley from this board from the last 10 years, I am sure many of them will vouch for what I am saying. One of the largest browns I ever caught on valley was a 24 rs2. I am sure streamer fishing, and the larger flies with proper drift will produce larger fish on valley. But I found micro to not disturb the fish as much as a 14-16. Especially if you are using a 2 fly rig, with beads, and a long French style leader. I found the >12” browns would take my sz18-20 nymph, while the larger brownies would take the 22-26 midge. But that is only my experience on valley, and how I fish.

Posted on: 2/17 11:34

From York & Starlight, PA
bsullivan wrote;

Quote:
It seems obvious now that 15' of leader/tippet is far too much. Duh.

It all depends on where you are fishing, the clarity of the water, and whether or not the trout are ultra selective and spooky. I rarely fish a leader less than 12' and often fish a 16' leader. But I fish large rivers where 40' - 50' casts are normal and often I might throw further. I've never fished Valley Creek but from what I've read it is a smaller water. On streams no more than 25' wide and one with a canopy of trees overhead you will do fine with a 9' 5X leader or maybe even a 7 1/2' tapered leader will suffice. You will know when you see how the trout react to your leader length. If you make a good cast that lands softly and the fish bolt you probably need more than a 7 1/2' leader.

Posted on: 3/2 20:47

From West Chester/Morgantown 304
Quote:

wbranch wrote:
bsullivan wrote;

Quote:
It seems obvious now that 15' of leader/tippet is far too much. Duh.

It all depends on where you are fishing, the clarity of the water, and whether or not the trout are ultra selective and spooky. I rarely fish a leader less than 12' and often fish a 16' leader. But I fish large rivers where 40' - 50' casts are normal and often I might throw further. I've never fished Valley Creek but from what I've read it is a smaller water. On streams no more than 25' wide and one with a canopy of trees overhead you will do fine with a 9' 5X leader or maybe even a 7 1/2' tapered leader will suffice. You will know when you see how the trout react to your leader length. If you make a good cast that lands softly and the fish bolt you probably need more than a 7 1/2' leader.

It can get really overgrown up there, but you can find some very rewarding fish up there. I’ve caught and seen some large browns. I’ll take a 6’6 2 wt for valley.

Posted on: 3/24 22:24

From SE PA
I've found orris stick on indicators the best for light presentations, only downside is you can't change depth.

Posted on: 3/26 12:44

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>
Polls
Has the Internet helped or hurt your fly fishing experiences?
Helped 90% (29)
Hurt 9% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2019/9/29 17:31
1 Comment

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com