Trout fishing question

padave

padave

I was looking at a few fly fishing sites and seeing people
Talking about trout fishing in the winter. And then I was
Looking at the dnr site about the opening day, does this
Mean you ca. Fish for trout and not keep them until
Opening day but you can fly fish for them all year???

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the board. I asked a similar question in another thread. There's a lot of information in that thread so I'll just link it and you can read for yourself.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16473&forum=2&post_id=222377#forumpost222377

Check the fish commission web site. They explain all the options the different classifications of streams offer. http://fishandboat.com/waters_trout.htm

yeah, it's confusing, depends on the designation of the stream. See the attached links....

The short answer is... Many streams allow yout o fish them year round, but you just can't harvest fish (and who'd do that sort of thing, anyways?). Approved Trout Water streams are closed from 2/28 until opening day, however. No fishing even on a C&R basis.

Approved Trout Water streams are closed from 2/28 until opening day

ATW's AND all areas downstream, unless under special regulation.

pcray1231 wrote:
Approved Trout Water streams are closed from 2/28 until opening day

ATW's AND all areas downstream, unless under special regulation.

I don't think pcray is right. Only the actual ATW is closed to fishing beginning March 1. "Downstream areas" only is of significance in defining what waters are covered by the extended season. Of course, after March 1, there is no extended season, so the reduced creel limit that applied to ATW-downstream-areas is no more and any trout caught in a "downstream area" after March 1 must be returned to the stream unharmed.

You could be right, but its not the way I read it.

:-?
Ok how about what rivers/creeks are you fishing this time of year.

I mean what is a good one and is legal to fish this time of year.

Padave,
There are literally hundreds of trout streams in PA. You can fish on a catch and release basis in all of them until the end of February. Starting March 1st is when it gets complicated.

Some streams are limited to fly fishing only or some other regulation specifying tackle limits or mandatory catch and release. These streams (usually sections of them) are generally known as "special regulation" streams or just "reg streams." These streams are legal to fish on a catch and rellease basis all year.

If you're looking to find a particular stream to do some winter fishing, check the Stream Reports section and there are usually some up to date description of fishing in these streams. Keep in mind that many forum members can be tight lipped about their favorite fishing spots so the streams listed in the reports sections are usually very well known. They also have the physical qualities that make them fishable in winter (meaning they have springs that keep them from freezing - probably 90% of PA streams are not fishable now due to the cold).

Thanks for all the info guys. It is complicated. Much more so then where I use to fish. I only plan on fly fishing ( I save the heavy fishing for the surf at A.I. ) and I don't keep fresh water fish anyway. I plan on fly fishing very soon, I'm just looking for a good place to fish. I'm thinking of Cordorus creek for starters because its only a few minutes west of me what is your takes on that.

padave,
Codorus Creek is a good choice. There are several branches and sections of this stream but the special reg section has trout all year and should be fishable. The trout in the reg water of Codorus are wild brown trout and it isn't an easy stream to fish but it would be a good choice for winter.

Why do you say it isnt easy to fish there.

padave,
Many fly fishermen (in their minds) categorize trout streams by the difficulty level or, broadly speaking, the level of challenge required to catch trout. This is purely informal - there's no quantifiable aspect to this and as you'd guess FFers have different opinions on which streams are "harder" than others. Sometimes FFers refer to difficult trout streams as "technical" streams. Most streams associated with this type of reputation are well known, heavily fished, and have special regulations in the popular areas. Many if not most of the streams you'll see in the Reports and Streams section of this website are streams I'd categorize as difficult or technical waters - streams like Valley Creek, Little Lehigh, Yellow Breeches, Big Spring, or Penns Creek.
That's not to say that a beginner shouldn't try to fish them, just that they should understand that catching trout in these streams is tough even for those of us with decades of experience. While Codorus Creek isn't one of these famous legacy streams I find it difficult due to the physical structure of the stream. It is mostly wooded with lots of low hanging trees making casting hard and the slower, deeper pools have a muck bottom making wading almost impossible so you have to stay on the bank and cast between trees on much of Codorus. Also, wild brown trout are moodier, easier to spook, and more selective about what flies they want than stocked trout. By all means visit Codorus but don't expect if you're a beginner to catch dozens of trout.

Thanks, I will consider all the advice I have recived here.

I know all about not catching a ton of fish, sometimes my middle name is "SKUNK'' I have been surf fishing for 10 + years with many trips getting nothing. And belive me I also know all about spot burning, I just wanted to be pointed in the general direction
I'm the same way when it comes to the surf, I would'nt tell anyone exactly where to go just a ball park area, you have to put in the time and experience.

It's just too cold right now to fish streams. The water freezes in your guides and when that happens you risk breaking a rod. I'll wait until it get's above 30 degrees. I stay local for winter fishing that way I don't waist time traveling during the short days. It makes a difference because you maximize time on the water, you just don't catch as many fish during the winter because they aren't as active.

Stone_Fly wrote:
It's just too cold right now to fish streams. The water freezes in your guides and when that happens you risk breaking a rod. I'll wait until it get's above 30 degrees. I stay local for winter fishing that way I don't waist time traveling during the short days. It makes a difference because you maximize time on the water, you just don't catch as many fish during the winter because they aren't as active.

This is great advice, particularly the stay local thing. If Codorus is a few minutes from you, then taking a few minutes to drive over and spending 30 minutes there will help you get your "fix". I think fishing local streams in the Winter make the most sense.

Speaking of ice in the guides, I head chap stick on your guides prevents them from freezing. Yay, nay?

It helps. But in my experience, it doesn't "solve" the problem.

i.e. if it's 31 degrees, it will significantly extend the time between cleaning the ice out of the guides. After a little while, it'll wear off and all will be back to normal.

If its 20 degrees out, forget it.

Back