Tips for catching big fish mid season!

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I got a pm about things I do in the mid season to catch bigger trout and thought it was worth posting. I have modified a few things from the original message.

PLEASE CHIME IN AND ADD SOME INPUT!! I LOVE LEARNING NEW TIPS AND TRICKS AND HOPE MINE WILL HELP YOU!!

One of the main things I focus on when targeting bigger fish are where the streams are located in relation to how close the nearest town? I like streams that aren't close to a lot of people. Key in on areas at least a half hour away from major populations. I will use yellow creek for example. Even from the town of Martinsburg it is about 15 minutes away. Lots of beautiful fish. The ones close to cities do get a lot of fish and a lot of big fish but they get hammered really hard early. Not saying you have to be in remote rural areas but it helps to be away from the onslaught.

I love fishing areas that have major pressure on the first two days then nothing the rest of the year. I use Potter county for example. There a million guys on the streams in the first two days. Fishing slows down mid day and a lot of guys go back to camp to re-hydrate Correct me if I am wrong on this Potter guys but a lot of the pressure is off of the streams and you can play clean up for the rest of the summer. Hit these "camp" areas and have fun.

Next, Dhalo and fly projects hold fish year round because of special regulations. Most get stocked twice a year. Dhalo are open to keep trout from middle of June til Labor day If you would like. A lot of these streams these fish are wrote off to die with the increasing summer temps. The fish get smart though and you do have to be a decent angler to catch them mid season, early season it is a blast! Tons of fish for everyone. But with the streams being stocked in March and May your odds are pretty good.

Streams that are a little wider also tend to keep larger fish. The more spread out they can be the more protected they can be from the onslaught of fisherman on the first day and in the early season. Also, dont be affraid to try hole where you don't think any fish are located. Fish only need enough water to cover their back. Small back waters and little forks in the stream may hold a big trout that got stuck in high water. Don't be affraid to make a few casts in a small pool, especially with an undercut. I have seen many large fish is shallow water with their backs exposed even, after bugs and aquatic shrimp.

Fish the tough stuff as well. Faster riffles and log jams. Yes you will lose flies and fish but the fish hold in these areas too. Many anglers are affraid to even try and you could have a field day. Just hang on if you get a big one and try to keep him out of the debris.

Trophy trout projects are great areas to hit up as well because of the min size requirement. Usually these streams are a lot larger and tougher to pinpoint where the trout will be but can be very productive during hatches or decent flow times. Big streamers are great on these areas.

Another thing is look for places that just had tournaments, rodeos, or derbies. Lots of fish and many of the big boys don't get caught because of being "shell shocked" you may be in double digits in no time on these streams. Yes there is a ton of pressure at the derby but most guys only want to keep tagged fish. So think of how many are thrown back in order to make money. Keeping fish on these streams is actually good for the ecology of the stream and less fish are stressed in the later months.

Hit up streams that hold decent flow year round. Limestone streams are typically your best bet. Colder high oxygen levels mean healthy fish.

Be different. Dont be affraid to try things that you never would think would work. Experiment a little. Think of how many worms, salmon eggs, wax worms, and meal worms these big boys have seen. I have caught trout in the super low days in August when i was a bait fisherman on sculpins and crayfish because no one else tried that. I once caught a monster golden rainbow everyone was trying for on a bright green MR. Twister i had in my vest from fishing a pond! Grass hopper and cricket paterns are killer later on if you don't spook the fish first.

Go natural in low water times. Lose the beads and flash. The low clear waters make it easy for the fish to tell your fly is not food. Not saying these won't work but from my experiences the fish are pretty spooky and a size 6 bugger splashing in the water with a big gold cone head will likely scare the fish. The flash works well if the stream is up but stay clear when the water is low and clear and increased in temperature.

Targeting big fish is fun and i feel these few tips can really help out. I myself just target trout in general but who can deny the feeling of an 18" rainbow or brown on a solid run.

I like to let the big boys go, i enjoy catching that amphibious tanks too much to put him on the grill. But there is nothing wrong with keeping a few trout for dinner or the wall. I do keep a few little guys though.

Good luck and tight lines. I hope this post has helped you guys out. I only hope that if I fish with you guys some day i can back up all of this! I'll take the challenge.

Mike

Nice write-up, Mike.

There's a lot of information packed into that post.

Great read and sound advice. Thanks!

+1 for big streamers. Don't forget a big ol mouse pattern burned across the top of the water once the sun goes down

Back