Tippet rings

What are they? If I haven't used them by now I probably don't need them.

No. Have never even tried them, so not much of an opinion. Interested, but not even sure where I'd buy them.

Buffalo: They're just what they sound like, little metal rings, similar to a barrel swivel that spin fishermen often use. Put at the end of a leader, before the tippet. Makes changing tippets easy, no blood knots needed. And also makes tying droppers easy. But I'd imagine they don't float very well so they'd be bad for dries.

They sell these at almost any fly shop. I got turned onto them a few years ago. I almost exclusively use furled leaders for most of my fishing, so they allow me to quickly add tippet. I generally use two, one at the end of the furled leader and one that connects to the last piece of tippet I use. Saves me from cutting down my leader each time I want to change my ending tippet.

I have had no issues with them not floating, I use them with tippet sizes down to 7x. I use many different leaders for dries, nymphing, streamers, and swinging wets, and can't think of any leader I have tied up that does not have at least one tippet ring.

Bought some at Somerset. They cost stupid lots for not very many.

Bought them for the end of furled leaders, but since switching to knotted, I don't think they serve any purpose that can't be accomplished to by simply slipping a cinch knot against a blood knot in the leader.

pcray1231 wrote:
No. Have never even tried them, so not much of an opinion. Interested, but not even sure where I'd buy them.

Buffalo: They're just what they sound like, little metal rings, similar to a barrel swivel that spin fishermen often use. Put at the end of a leader, before the tippet. Makes changing tippets easy, no blood knots needed. And also makes tying droppers easy. But I'd imagine they don't float very well so they'd be bad for dries.

That's the first time I heard of them, I don't think I'll use them but I'll check them out. Years ago I had these tiny hooks that you put on the end of your tippet to change flies without tieing them on. I don't think I ever used them, from what I remember I think Eagle Claw made them.

I bought a couple furled leaders from streamside, and they were attached to the end. They are really small, not sure if floating would be a issue.

They're not so heavy, it'd be like trying to sink a light wire eye (only) from a size 14 hook.

I do, however, think for use in leaders hinging would be an issue versus a properly made loop-to-loop.

buffalo7 wrote:
me I heard of them, I don't think I'll use them but I'll check them out. Years ago I had these tiny hooks that you put on the end of your tippet to change flies without tieing them on. I don't think I ever used them, from what I remember I think Eagle Claw made them.

Wonder if they still make those? They would really come in handy fishing for stockies on opening day where you are changing flies every 2 minutes.

jdaddy,
I was wondering if they make them anymore or not, it was in the mid 70s when I got them. I don't think they would sink a good dry fly in size 16 and bigger.

They must still make them. below is a post from scottland on a forrum from 2007.

"for my sixpenneth worth and this is my opinion of them having used them for over 9years now and find the no2,s in the mustad excellent.I like them and there is a knack of putting a fly on and off with them and it is easy once you know how to do it.As for being alien well many things are alien also like using floatant on your fly, degreaser on your line and more if it works for you and helps you and your happy and importantly its legal, use it and dont worry what others think about it.I dont use it in competitions as they are not allowed.They do open a bit after a while so you will need to change them every so often and depending on how good a catching day your having.Saves on nylon costs aswell.As for dragging a dry fly under ,again I have no probs fishing buzzers ,drys and lures on them and it is not a problem and you still catch fish with them.Some dont like them some do and its down to individual choice but for me it does not effect catch rates and adds a wee bit of a movement at times to the fly aswell.I do draw the line at size 16s and below though."

http://nicksgearreview.blogspot.com/2008/07/mustad-quick-links-aka-mustad-fly-clips.html

[i]buffalo7 wrote:
me I heard of them, I don't think I'll use them but I'll check them out. Years ago I had these tiny hooks that you put on the end of your tippet to change flies without tieing them on. I don't think I ever used them, from what I remember I think Eagle Claw made them.
[/i]

I almost think I remember those things. I don't think I ever used them either. But that was back when I liked tying knots. Now my fingers are fat and my eyes ain't what they used to be. That don't mean I'm gonna go look for um. I'll keep tying knots!

oh I have seen those snaps before I think they sell them at the sporting gentleman

jdaddy wrote:
buffalo7 wrote:

Wonder if they still make those? They would really come in handy fishing for stockies on opening day where you are changing flies every 2 minutes.

I'm almost positive Fly Tiers Heaven in Sunbury sells something like this.

Yes I use tippet rings and have for several years.Advantages include changing your tippet without shortening your leader. Also much quicker than tying blood knots. I use improved clinch knots for the leader end and the tippet. I use them for nymph and dries. I have never had a problem with them sinking. They are made by Roman Moser and Climax. I use both brands.

Years ago I had these tiny hooks that you put on the end of your tippet to change flies without tieing them on.

Snap swivels? Yeah, they still make them and they're common. Never heard them in use with fly fishing, but I suppose they'd work. Common among bait guys.

Tippet ring = little metal ring.

Barrel swivel = 2 tippet rings with a swivel in between.

Snap swivel = 1 tippet ring, swivel, with essentially a small safety pin on the other side.

Swivels:
http://www.cabelas.com/swivels-snaps-clevises.shtml

And for whoever said tippet rings were crazy expensive, would these work? Have to check size, I suppose, they may be too big. The diameter listed is the gauge of the wire, not the diameter of the ring.

stainless steel rings

In my bait days I used swivels extensively, they're highly useful for minnie fishermen to prevent the line from twisting.

Years ago I had these tiny hooks that you put on the end of your tippet to change flies without tieing them on.

I have searched and searched trying to find them so i could recommend them-lol
Best thing ever made for droppers-
found them a couple years ago,but seemed to have disappeared.
They aren't snap swivels-
about the size of a 24 hook but with a spring type U shape.

pcray1231 wrote:
And for whoever said tippet rings were crazy expensive, would these work? Have to check size, I suppose, they may be too big. The diameter listed is the gauge of the wire, not the diameter of the ring.

I did, realize my sense of cheap is different than most. The pack I bought was $8 for 20, though, and that's alot of cash for a little metal ring.

Hold on, let me get you a picture of one, I think there's one in the car....

5595866774_90144ac058_b.jpg

There's a tippet ring, there's 12#, 6# and 3x all attached to it. For reference, there's also a size 14 royal coachman.

I googled mustad fly clips and There is a few sites with them. Most of the places are in the U.K. Not sure how to do the link thing.

Back