Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 (2) 3 »


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/3/14 6:23
From Lancaster
Posts: 1034
Offline
Congrats, Dave! That is a beautiful brownie. I always enjoy reading your posts because I can sense your excitement and love for this great sport. Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2013/2/1 14:54


Re: Tie tie again
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 17:32
From Gettysburg
Posts: 9275
Offline
Well done djs! Getting a wild trout on a fly you tied is fundamental and a great feeling.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 17:21


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/1/13 15:28
From Ferguson Twp.
Posts: 2594
Offline
That is awesome! Congratulations, it's a wonderfull thing to catch fish with flies you've tied your self,that's a nice looking trout.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 19:10
_________________
There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul...


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2006/9/11 13:33
From Lehigh Valley
Posts: 3352
Offline
Quote:

delta_dog wrote:
....... Now go get one on a wet fly you tied.


Looks like we've created a monster.

Great job, Dave. Dan showed me some really cool looking wet flies he tied up when we met at A&G - I'm sure he can help you out with some ideas....

Posted on: 2013/2/1 19:24
_________________
Resized Image


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/1/16 18:57
From North East PA
Posts: 1365
Offline
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

delta_dog wrote:
....... Now go get one on a wet fly you tied.


Looks like we've created a monster.

Great job, Dave. Dan showed me some really cool looking wet flies he tied up when we met at A&G - I'm sure he can help you out with some ideas....


Both Dan's do a nice job at the vise. Dan B has been great about showing me how to fish and to offer tips and gentle critique on my fly-tying efforts.

Did I mention that was the first fish I took on a bugger?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 21:30


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2011/3/2 13:43
From Gamehendge
Posts: 962
Offline
Good job! Like others have said. There is nothing better then catching fish on flies you tie. It's the true essence of our sport.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 22:13
_________________
Vedavoo.com American made packs and bags.
'Gear for the road less traveled'


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2011/3/2 13:43
From Gamehendge
Posts: 962
Offline
95% of the flies I fish, I tied myself. The only thing I havent gotten into tyin is dry flies. Everything else the I use I tie myself.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 22:34
_________________
Vedavoo.com American made packs and bags.
'Gear for the road less traveled'


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/11/11 19:34
From Lewisberry, PA
Posts: 159
Offline
Dont mean to hijack your thread. I Just started tying last week. Here's some of my buggers so far. Critique away.


http://i.imgur.com/is8OFtr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Uk4YXRe.jpg

Posted on: 2013/2/2 13:55


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/1/16 18:57
From North East PA
Posts: 1365
Offline
Quote:

Gone_Phishin wrote:
Dont mean to hijack your thread. I Just started tying last week. Here's some of my buggers so far. Critique away.


http://i.imgur.com/is8OFtr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Uk4YXRe.jpg


They look great to me, but I defer to those with a better eye.

Am I correct in thinking the tails of some are different materials than the normal marabou?

Posted on: 2013/2/2 17:52


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2007/6/19 21:49
From Lancaster County
Posts: 1556
Offline
Quote:

Gone_Phishin wrote:
Dont mean to hijack your thread. I Just started tying last week. Here's some of my buggers so far. Critique away.


http://i.imgur.com/is8OFtr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Uk4YXRe.jpg


Shorter tails and take your hackle down a size or two or three.

That being said, even if materials are out of proportion on a bugger, they will still catch fish. I'm not the greatest of tiers and my buggers still manage to fool fish.

I was going to make the same comment on Dave's bugger - that even though the proportions weren't perfect, they would still catch fish, but he proved that anyway with his brownie.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 20:01


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2011/3/2 13:43
From Gamehendge
Posts: 962
Offline
Dave- he is using squirrel tail. It's great for bugger tails. I prefer it over marabou.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 21:34
_________________
Vedavoo.com American made packs and bags.
'Gear for the road less traveled'


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/1/16 18:57
From North East PA
Posts: 1365
Offline
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
Dave- he is using squirrel tail. It's great for bugger tails. I prefer it over marabou.


Thanks, Phish

Seems like a good change up from the marabou. Although it seems both would give good action to a fly.

Hoping to pick up some supplies for my "homework" assignment I received. I'll work on that after I finish our taxes and get them e-filed today.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 9:51


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2008/3/11 9:40
From Lambertville
Posts: 1405
Offline
Way back in the 80s, when Orvis had a store in center city Phila, I attended a fly tying demo. When someone asked what do you do with the flies you mess up, the tyer said, "those are the ones I use, they still catch trout."

djs, we talked last year at a newbie jam follow up meeting. You sure have come a long way in 12 months. I'm still hunting for my first trout on a fly, but that only means I have something to look forward to.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 10:55


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2012/1/16 18:57
From North East PA
Posts: 1365
Offline
Quote:

RCFetter wrote:
Way back in the 80s, when Orvis had a store in center city Phila, I attended a fly tying demo. When someone asked what do you do with the flies you mess up, the tyer said, "those are the ones I use, they still catch trout."

djs, we talked last year at a newbie jam follow up meeting. You sure have come a long way in 12 months. I'm still hunting for my first trout on a fly, but that only means I have something to look forward to.


I won't toss any in the trash, that's for sure!

If you are at this year's Newbie Jam, we have to make sure that we get you onto a fish! Might have to page Delta Dog and Volksnurse - If they can get Stagger Lee onto a fish, then it should be no problem to get you one!

(Only busting Andrew - I know how hard you have been working on your FF efforts!)

But RC, I have been lucky and there is a long way left for me to go on this journey to getting better!

Posted on: 2013/2/3 14:58


Re: Tie tie again

Joined:
2006/9/11 13:33
From Lehigh Valley
Posts: 3352
Offline
Quote:

djs12354 wrote:
If you are at this year's Newbie Jam, we have to make sure that we get you onto a fish! Might have to page Delta Dog and Volksnurse - If they can get Stagger Lee onto a fish, then it should be no problem to get you one!


No worries - da Fox will fix this.

Don't you have a homework assignment to do? Get crackin'.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 17:14
_________________
Resized Image



« 1 (2) 3 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com