Tick Advice for "New" Outdoorsmen

J

joseywales

Guys/Gals, for any of you who are new to the outdoors, ticks, mosquitos, etc., are especially bad, due to the mild winter we had. It's always a good idea to spray your clothes, paying special attention to collars, sleeve and pant cuffs.

I went for a casual walk at VC today, so I didn't have my treated clothing on and was in shorts, though I did have a hat on. Walked around for less than an hour. Damn if I wasn't sitting back at home working, when I felt a little bastard crawling up my back. Big tick, so not a deer tick, but still dangerous. I stripped down immediately and after inspecting the clothes, tossed them into the washer.

My brother turned me on to Permethrin a while ago and I spray my clothing with it, per the directions. When fishing, I don't spray that pants, since they're in my waders. Others can chime in on whether I should. I use the aeresol, but they also have a slightly cheaper spray bottle. I spray my hat, packs, etc. but it's NOT for use on your skin.

CathyG was telling about a similar product, but I honestly didn't have the bandwith at the time to retain it. She must have thought I was a moron, with the blank stare on my face, but between HA, OldLefty, Chaz, and others, I was on information overload.

Anyway, my nephew was bit well over a year ago and his face is still affected by it. Not sure it will ever completely heal. So be careful.

You know when it comes to ticks, I often wonder what their purpose is. It's got to be one of the most useless contributors to the natural world. It's sole contribution is making animals and people ill. Hate them little bastards.

If we could exterminate one critter entirely without affecting others they'd be at the top of my list. Mosquitos follow in a close second.

Glad you found it before it caused any serious damage.

Thanks. I should know better. I have all of my fishing clothes, etc. already sprayed. I was just wondering around and was actually more careful about not stepping in any poison plants. He was right on my back! Maybe he was hanging on my shirt. As you saw, there aint much on the roof for him to hang on to!

You're right though, ticks are the appendix of the insect world. Is there any animal that lives of them???? Not that I'm aware.

My nephew's face was severly sagging on one side. It has almost cleared, but I honestly don't think there's been an improvement in months, so the remaining could be permanent. He never hunts or fishes. He was most likely bit at college in Kutztown.

Permethrin is sold under the brand name "Sawyer" in Walmart and some sporting goods stores for use by hunters etc.

Its also used for area bug repellant, esp mosquitos, in some lawn and garden products.

Excellent advise, Cathy.

This stuff is lights out for ticks.

http://sawyerdirect.net/item.cfm?prodid=CP22200

Ed and Cathy ... I use peremetian that I purchsed from dicks but as I stated, dound a tick crawling on my waders after I applied

Would u both say Sawyer is the best product on the Market?

Yep. Looks to be the same as the cans of Permethrin at Dick's. 6 weeks lasting power, etc.

Curious though, this Sawyer stuff $6.59/ for 6oz can on Amazon. The cans I bought at Dick's were 13 or 14oz I think and I paid $6.99/can. ($7.99 is the new price). The 24 oz spray bottle is $15.

Is there any difference between these products?

BTW, always keep an eye on the register when you're being rung out. Dick's had these for $6.99 on the shelf, but rang them as $7.99. Guess what price I paid??

Tick key for the ones you see, a shower immediately upon going home for the ones you don't.

Your nephew had bell's palsy, which is not a part of lyme disease but often comes on as part of an infection, its caused by an inflamation of the nerves that affect muscle control in your face. Short term Bell's will clear up and back to 100% when the swelling dies down, long term Bell's will kill the nerve which will then need to grow back on its own. Sometimes it never grows back, or it will grow back incorrect causing facial tics or other anomolies.

Not that Lyme cannot affect your CNS, including facial paralysis, as well. Its quite possible to have both issues simultaneously. The Lyme will affect both sides, the Bell's will only affect one.

gfen wrote:

Tick key for the ones you see, a shower immediately upon going home for the ones you don't.

Your nephew had bell's palsy, which is not a part of lyme disease but often comes on as part of an infection, its caused by an inflamation of the nerves that affect muscle control in your face. Short term Bell's will clear up and back to 100% when the swelling dies down, long term Bell's will kill the nerve which will then need to grow back on its own. Sometimes it never grows back, or it will grow back incorrect causing facial tics or other anomolies.

Not that Lyme cannot affect your CNS, including facial paralysis, as well. Its quite possible to have both issues simultaneously. The Lyme will affect both sides, the Bell's will only affect one.

I am familiar with Bell's, as my sister had it, though she fully recovered. Regarding my nephew (on my wife's side), doctors were convinced it was Lyme disease and not Bell's. His mother worked for the Parks Dept. for years and was well informed about Lyme disease. That said, and I do not want to start a debate, but Lyme is one of the most misdiagnosed diseases, either way. In other words, it goes undiagnosed, and/or is sometimes blamed when it in fact is not the cause.

Bell's, as you describe it, makes sense in this case, but after extensive testing, doctors were convinced it was Lyme, for what it's worth. Again, not to start a debate, but although it has improved, more resources need to be dedicated to diagnosing and fighting Lyme. For my part, I'll just kill every little bastard I see.

PoconoPaul wrote:
If we could exterminate one critter entirely without affecting others they'd be at the top of my list. Mosquitos follow in a close second.

Hope you're not a turkey hunter, because a turkey will eat up to 200 ticks per day. It is an integral part of their diet.

Boyer

What do they get from it? From a nutrition standpoint.

joseywales wrote:
What do they get from it? From a nutrition standpoint.

My guess would be protein, but I'm not a nutritionist.

Boyer

Mine too, but they're so small, I would think hardly worth the effort. Though I guess they pick them off themselves. Ugh...

Sawyer is the only permethrin product I know of for clothing but there are probably others.

As with any product using chemical ingredients, you have to compare the concentration of the active ingredients.

A good example is the "flea bomb" or indoor fogger. Two different name brands will often have the same active ingredient but one might have a .2 concentration and the other a .02 concentration.
Obviously .2 is going to be better.

To determine which name brand of permethrin is better you would have to compare the concentration of active ingredients.

Agreed. I know mine if for clothing and I can look at the ingredients tonight. I'll have to research more online tonight, because that Sawyer didn't provide those details.

I have a crazy question about ticks. I sure hope I don't jinx myself saying it but is it possible that certain people have something in their pores that will cause ticks to avoid that person? I only ask this because I do not always spray myself when fishing and I can't ever remember getting ticks on me. Others I have been with did but not me.

Inquiring minds and all. :)

I have a crazy question about ticks. I sure hope I don't jinx myself saying it but is it possible that certain people have something in their pores that will cause ticks to avoid that person? I only ask this because I do not always spray myself when fishing and I can't ever remember getting ticks on me. Others I have been with did but not me.

Inquiring minds and all.

You eat too much garlic

Stagger_Lee wrote:
[You eat too much garlic

Well, if it keeps the little buggers away, I would have to disagree that it is too much! :cool:

Back