Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Tick Advice for "New" Outdoorsmen

From Wayne County
Sawyer is the only permethrin product I know of for clothing but there are probably others.

As with any product using chemical ingredients, you have to compare the concentration of the active ingredients.

A good example is the "flea bomb" or indoor fogger. Two different name brands will often have the same active ingredient but one might have a .2 concentration and the other a .02 concentration.
Obviously .2 is going to be better.

To determine which name brand of permethrin is better you would have to compare the concentration of active ingredients.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 13:48

From MONTCO
Agreed. I know mine if for clothing and I can look at the ingredients tonight. I'll have to research more online tonight, because that Sawyer didn't provide those details.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:03

From Philadelphia
I have a crazy question about ticks. I sure hope I don't jinx myself saying it but is it possible that certain people have something in their pores that will cause ticks to avoid that person? I only ask this because I do not always spray myself when fishing and I can't ever remember getting ticks on me. Others I have been with did but not me.

Inquiring minds and all.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:15

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
I have a crazy question about ticks. I sure hope I don't jinx myself saying it but is it possible that certain people have something in their pores that will cause ticks to avoid that person? I only ask this because I do not always spray myself when fishing and I can't ever remember getting ticks on me. Others I have been with did but not me.

Inquiring minds and all.

You eat too much garlic

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:23

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
[You eat too much garlic

Well, if it keeps the little buggers away, I would have to disagree that it is too much!

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:25

From MONTCO
Ticks, Skeeters, they are attracted to certain scents coming from our pores. I have two daughters and myself, who seem to be magnets, while others around us are not getting bit. Someone said, "sweet" scents. I don't think Stagger is far off in that garlic would help. I like garlic, so I'll be adding that to my diet. It stays with you for sure.

It's the "fogging" aspect of garlic that might keep most two-legged critters away from me. Not that's this always a bad thing either...

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:55

From Philadelphia
Hell, to skeeters, I'm a freakin 7 course meal.........if garlic helps, I'll eat a clove a day!

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:57

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:

Inquiring minds and all.

I'm tempted here to slide in a Beckerian-inspired wize crack , but....

Fox you raise an interesting theory here. There was a time back in the 90's when i didn't use bug juice of any kind to prevent all the insect nasties, most especially ticks.

I went on for a good while never once coming home with a tick on board - and that was probably a good 7 year run. Then one day I found a tick, half inflated in my hairline, just above my forehead on the left size. My sense was that fell out a tree and into my head.

Are there those that have some 'resistence' of sorts? Maybe. But it might be a matter of you simply providing them little opportunity to crawl on board. It may be that simple.

But like you I think no one has any resistence to mosquitos and I haven't found one topical solution that 100% prevents any and all insects from having me for lunch. But I am open for suggestions?

For the most I do go out forgetting to put bug sprays on and haven't come home with any ticks, that said I had one on my leg a couple of weeks back while working in my yard.

Anyway, if you do decide to eat cloves of garlic as insect kryptonite, just make sure you bring along ample amounts (just shy of a box) of breath mints the next day, most especially if you intend to fish with a partner and share techniques.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:16

From MONTCO
I've always believed any animal or insect with a nose uses it as part of its defense system. Some obviously more than others. They usually know what "danger" smells like, but if they can't identify a scent, or lose their sense of smell, they usually move on. My strategy, when keeping animals out of sheds, etc. is based on that theory.

Take away their sense of smell and they lose a part of their defense system. So, a few moth balls in the shed usually does the trick. If their sense of smell is overwhelmed, they would most likely run down to the next shed, garden, whatever. Why risk sticking around, if one of their defenses has been impaired?? I don't know. Maybe there's not fact behind it, but it has worked for me.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:19

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Pickled garlic cloves infused with habaneros are amazing.

Lol Beckerian

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:19

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Albrightsville, PA
By the way, when you do manage to catch one of those little buggers on you (ticks that is), feed em up to their cousins, the spider, if you happen to see a web nearby. It's fun watching them suffer.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:24

From MONTCO
Damn! I had a big spider run a nice web on the deck and didn't think of that. Of course, since I had stripped down, the neighbors probably wouldn't have appreciated that little scene.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:28

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Pickled garlic cloves infused with habaneros are amazing.

Lol Beckerian

An excerpt from the book: A Beckerian Inspired Fisherman's Guide to Healthy Eating. At stores near you.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:29

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

joseywales wrote:
Damn! I had a big spider run a nice web on the deck and didn't think of that. Of course, since I had stripped down, the neighbors probably wouldn't have appreciated that little scene.

This one's ripe for a Berkerian quip, but yes, I'd agree that would have been quite unsightly.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:35

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Going to trade mark that.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:54

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com