Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Thinking of building a few leaders...

From Ohio
I have tied a few of my own leaders. I can never seem to get the measurements on the money, each section is an inch longer or shorter than the formula calls for. Does this make a difference?

Posted on: 2011/3/1 14:02

From Cogan Station, PA
Again, VERY new to all of this (flyfishing included). Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

He's essentially doubling up the bottom 1/3rd, and quadrupling the top third (which is why he is starting with "low" lb test I suppose).

Posted on: 2011/3/1 14:04

From Pittsburgh
I add 4" to each section length when cutting them- 2" on each side - to allow for making the blood knot.
And usually wind up within an inch or so of the prescribed length. I don't think it's anything to worry about

Posted on: 2011/3/1 14:13

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
boychick, nope, doesn't matter. But I do cut them an inch or so longer than the measurement to account for the knots I'm gonna tie.

mgh, those are furled leaders, disregard everything I said and listen to afish. The ones I was explaining was just for hand tied, not furled. Sorry.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 14:39

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Here are the details on the furled leaders I make:

I'm going to say I weigh in on a different technique than he does.

My current config is a butt section of 6#, 8 strands then 4 strands. To that I'll connect a middle portion, 8 strands then 4 strands of 4#. From there, a final portion of 4#, 4 strands to 2 strands then usually 4x, 5x, and what have you as neccessary.

The extra loop-to-loops don't seem to matter because after a few casts they snug down to almost disappear, and the furled loops make energy transfer almost seamless. The benefit of this is when you inevitably snap the 2 strand loop you have to make a much shorter piece, and can be done much quicker.

Two ways of reaching the same goal.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 15:02

From Cogan Station, PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Here are the details on the furled leaders I make:

I'm going to say I weigh in on a different technique than he does.

My current config is a butt section of 6#, 8 strands then 4 strands. To that I'll connect a middle portion, 8 strands then 4 strands of 4#. From there, a final portion of 4#, 4 strands to 2 strands then usually 4x, 5x, and what have you as neccessary.

The extra loop-to-loops don't seem to matter because after a few casts they snug down to almost disappear, and the furled loops make energy transfer almost seamless. The benefit of this is when you inevitably snap the 2 strand loop you have to make a much shorter piece, and can be done much quicker.

Two ways of reaching the same goal.

How do you "split" the transitions (from 8 to 4, and 4 to 2)? Is it half the length of that segment or more like the 1/3 / 2/3 split mentioned in the video? Does it matter?

Posted on: 2011/3/1 15:27

From SEPA

Whatever feels right, mostly. Afish's chart is pretty fantastic reference, actually, and will likely help me codify a standard this year.

Upon re-reviewing it, I plan to use his layout, slightly shortening each of his lengths to make way for the extra section mine entails.

I'd like to have one of his to try out, actually. I'd be curious to see how much better his fishes. Trade ya, Tom?

Posted on: 2011/3/1 15:34

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:

Whatever feels right, mostly. Afish's chart is pretty fantastic reference, actually, and will likely help me codify a standard this year.

Upon re-reviewing it, I plan to use his layout, slightly shortening each of his lengths to make way for the extra section mine entails.

I'd like to have one of his to try out, actually. I'd be curious to see how much better his fishes. Trade ya, Tom?

Gary,

No right or wrong in fishin'...just different. I mess around all the time with these things. I also do what you do at times: add another segment of single furled leader in a floro color for nymphing. Also the simple version shown on u-tube works too. All good stuff.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 15:40

From SEPA

Its those 260" long strips that killed me, but I just realized you don't just take one 260" long strip and flip it over, but two seperate pieces of 260" line?

Do you have a problem with the trailing ends wrapping up on themselves, that's why I had to move away from your version.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 16:01

Quote:

gfen wrote:

Its those 260" long strips that killed me, but I just realized you don't just take one 260" long strip and flip it over, but two seperate pieces of 260" line?

Do you have a problem with the trailing ends wrapping up on themselves, that's why I had to move away from your version.

When I do mine I attach the two tag ends to a clasp swivel that is attached to something like the back of a chair. That way you can furl without worrying about you tags end wrapping around each other. I did that a couple of times before I figured that one out.

You'll need to do that for either the afish way or the way posted in the YouTube video.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 21:02

From SEPA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
You'll need to do that for either the afish way or the way posted in the YouTube video.

Incorrect, I do it the way the youtube video does, but without a swivel. Again, smaller lengths mean less tangling.

I could do 16'-20', in half then with a third flopped over again. It was a beast, but the key was to do it OFF something with some height so it didnt drag on the floor, the slide at the kids' park worked well.

But, it could all be lost when the bottom piece snapped, and it did.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 22:13

From Ohio
Dry fly guy & pcray,

The leaders always flet like they performed well enough. I didn't think it mattered that much. I'll have to try adding an extra few inches like suggested. Thanks for the tip.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 22:55

From Room 109
I like this leader myself

http://www.riseformstudio.tv/leader_formula.html - plus you never have to go below 5x with it.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 22:00

From Southwest, Pa
have posted this before, but I'm not a big fan of maxima... and even though I like perfection loop to loop connections, it can be hell getting them through your top guide when you are using 12+ft leaders.

First, if you can find them at walmart, fairplay tapered leaders are a mere $1.96, and I never have problems with them.

Start collecting butt ends of tapered leaders off friends who just toss them when they get too thick. Pick yourself up a roll of 0x, 2x, 4x, 5x, and 6x. I prefer rio powerflex.

If you have 2 feet of butt, add 2ft of 0x, 2ft of 2x, 3 ft, of 4x, and if you need more taper, add as much as you'd like of 5 or 6 for small nymphs and dries. I use either blood or triple surgeons knots for these. It can take some time, but if you sit down a night you can bust out at least 10 of these in half an hour.

I like to fish 12-15 ft. leaders for my dry fly fishing, and this taper regimine along with the small knots does me well when I have to attach fly and relocate. A quick pull on the fly and few sudden stops, and all your leader will be free of the guides fairly easy.

A lot of my friends use the maxima approach, but I just don't like the taper in. Furled leaders would be my second choice.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 8:57

-Art Lee

From Chester County
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
have posted this before, but I'm not a big fan of maxima... and even though I like perfection loop to loop connections, it can be hell getting them through your top guide when you are using 12+ft leaders.

First, if you can find them at walmart, fairplay tapered leaders are a mere $1.96, and I never have problems with them.

Start collecting butt ends of tapered leaders off friends who just toss them when they get too thick. Pick yourself up a roll of 0x, 2x, 4x, 5x, and 6x. I prefer rio powerflex.

If you have 2 feet of butt, add 2ft of 0x, 2ft of 2x, 3 ft, of 4x, and if you need more taper, add as much as you'd like of 5 or 6 for small nymphs and dries. I use either blood or triple surgeons knots for these. It can take some time, but if you sit down a night you can bust out at least 10 of these in half an hour.

I like to fish 12-15 ft. leaders for my dry fly fishing, and this taper regimine along with the small knots does me well when I have to attach fly and relocate. A quick pull on the fly and few sudden stops, and all your leader will be free of the guides fairly easy.

A lot of my friends use the maxima approach, but I just don't like the taper in. Furled leaders would be my second choice.

Rumor has it, Mo hasn't bought a leader since the late 80's. I understand he collects them in the parking lots and along the stream in FFing areas and reties as you do. Great for the environment AND the wallet. Just sayin....

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:11

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com