Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The frustration climbs

From Harrisburg
To add to the great info posted already....

Try this. Rig up, Go to a area that the water is gin clear and cast upstream. Then watch your fly (tie on a San Juan for better sight) Then watch the movement of the fly. Now do the same exact thing but mend upstream and then watch it. You'll notice an extreme difference. That U in your fly line makes a huge difference in moving water. The purpose of nymphing is to get the fly down low where the trout are feeding.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 17:05

From Martinsburg/State College, PA
Went out today again with another skunked day...I have to be the worst fisherman ever. Even with all these expert tips it's like teaching a monkey to program a computer.

I don't even think I got any strikes today. I must have been using the wrong fly or something. How are you supposed to know which fly to use when?

Posted on: 2011/6/10 23:38

From Harrisburg
Thank you all for the info and explanations. It all makes very good technical sense, but it might be difficult to translate when on the stream. I definitely run into the 'U' problems pretty often. I already know that that's killing the drift, but by that point if I try to mend it only pulls on the flies more. I am thinking that I need to cast upstream, mend immediately, and be much quicker in my stripping the line.

Is it worth it to try and re-release line as the rig passes you? I do that now and have caught fish that way, but it seems kinda.. well, there's probably better ways.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 23:39

From Harrisburg
You are being way too hard on yourself, Skcuf. And you probably know that!

Just over a month ago I was getting started with the fly rod and I went through over a week of fishing every day (6+ hours). Most days I didn't even get what I could have thought was a bite. Then I hit paydirt near nightfall one day and got my first good sizer. After that I could expect to get at least a fish each outing (but not always!)

It just kinda.. works like that.

I of course am no expert, but I think I can offer some good advice. Are you fishing the same stream section each day, and are you going at good times (early morning or late afternoon)? If so, I can assume that you are at a place where you are confident trout are located. At that point, I think the best advice is to keep at it! If they are rising, try different dry patterns (terrestrials!). If they aren't, then try nymphing. If you want to feel confident in what you have on your line, pick up a rock and see what is crawling around. Put on two patterns of critters that you are seeing (like scud and mayfly), and then go through a few casts with the last variable - depth.

After 10/20 casts, adjust the depth. After a few adjustments try different patterns.

One good trout will change your entire outlook, I promise you that. In reality very little of what you are doing will have changed, but your confidence will grow tenfold!

Posted on: 2011/6/10 23:48

From Throop,PA
God, I wish I had time to fish like some of you guys, 6 hours every day, wow. But seriously, take it easy on yourself. I couldn't care less if I catch something or not, just try and relax, that's the whole point isn't it? I have noticed that if I start to get angry or frustrated my casting gets worse. The problem with "expert" advice from here is that there are so many variables (wind speed/direction, insect activity, temperature, ect) that absolutely none of it will apply to every outing. Try and find some Ff'ers in your area that may be able to help you out.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:39

From florida
Skcuf,IMO like most "sports" you just have to put in your time.It will all come together and make sense.Mistakes are great teachers so profit from them. Consider flyfishing a lifelong education this forum may reduce the learning curve somewhat ,but it will humble even the best at times. GG

Posted on: 2011/6/11 13:20

From Enola, Pa.

Skcuf

Don't be to hard on yourself, you'll be fine. Just keep trying to learn as much as you can. Try to hookup with someone from here who can help you. Maybe that your trying to hard, just relax and enjoy yourself.

Good luck and hope things workout for you!

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/6/12 7:13

Yeah I talked to my girlfriend and she told me to quit being such a pansy ass and get back out there lol. No fish I ever catch will be as good as that catch. I am thinking the water is still a little too high in the area I was in though to have any real luck. I think I was so frustrated because I was all jazzed up to go out and then I got skunked and it was just one of those defeating moments. I'm going to give another area a shot the next time I go out and see if I do any better.

I do agree that I need to find someone to fish with though. I have never been with another fly fisherman so I never had anything to go off of. Since I am the kind of person that learns by watching and then doing, that would be a benefit lol. I will just keep at it for now until I get myself something to sit in front of my camera .

Posted on: 2011/6/12 21:33

From Altoona/Smoke Run
sent you a pm.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 17:09

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Everyone telling you to look up, don't give up, etc. Just to be the a-hole, had to post this, cause, well, I thought most of em were funny.... :)

http://www.despair.com/lithographs.html

Posted on: 2011/6/17 15:05

I love those posters. I personally like the "change" one.

Change
Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 15:31

From State College PA
skcuf
I don't want to side with the woman, but she's right! man up and take your lumps like the rest of us did when we started.

Send PM if you ever want to meet up and throw a line. You can also try the rods I have for a short period of time.
Forget next week though- too busy.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 10:02

From Altoona
Same here, Skcuf. I'm from altoona. I'm always looking for new people to fish with.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 15:28

From Glenmoore PA
Ive been fishing for a few year now and I got skunked today. Its humbling at times. Dont be too hard on yourself. Your trying to master thousands of years of instincts, not the easiest thing to do.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 20:54

Quote:

I don't want to side with the woman, but she's right! man up and take your lumps like the rest of us did when we started.

Like I said, I caught a good one here. I have had the itch to go out again since that day and I still haven't gotten to go out. My family probably thinks I'm crazy sitting there holding my rod all day...that doesn't sound right.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 8:52

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com