Techniques for different flies

FFChineseman

FFChineseman

Hello everyone, the fishing in Lake plaicd was good in case you read about my last posting. Had on rainbow and one smallmouth bass from the same olive green bugger. the water is very clear and the temp is around 30s in the morning.

I am trying to be better in using different type of flies, nymph, streamer, dry and wet. I would apprecaite if somebody can give me some advises about how to present those different flies and how to fish with them. Like for bugger, I just reel it in slowly and jerk it here and there. Thatz all i know about the technique.

thanks everyone!

nymph - usually you want the nymph to bounce near bottom so add weight, cast quartering upstream and mend the line so you get a drag free drift...let it swing when it's done. you can strip and jig other nymphs too but im talking for 90% of the time.

For caddis dries, you usually want some added movement and skittering...definitely swing those and let them sink and pop back up.

Dead drift mayfly dries.

Buggers/Streamers: everyone will say there is no wrong way to fish it, and there's not. You can dead drift it, swing it, strip it...I have never reeled it though. I usually swing it then strip it sometimes really aggressively...play with your retrieve and depth.

Wets: usually cast quartering downstream maybe throw a mend in it and just let it swing through some nice riffles, usually you are trying to imitate an emerging insect. A good technigue is to add a wet as a dropper to a nymph and deadrift them then let it swing.

hope that helps
jeff

FFC,

Here is a link to a site for FF101. Scroll down to "techniques" and each major FF technique is briefly discussed. also there are many other topics of interest for a beginning FFer.

http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/

The best advice I can give you is read as much as you can, ask questions on here, and maybe try to hook up with an experienced FFer to show you the ropes, but most importantly, keep at it and go fishin'. Nothing replaces time on the stream or lake.

Good luck.

Hi FFC,

To add to what Jeff said, when nymphing let the fly drift down and swing across. At the end of the swing, lift your rod to bring the nymph to the surface and then hold it there, one mississippi two mississippi and then start your cast.

Some fish will sit and watch the fly drift and swing but when they see it raise and about to leave the water, they decide to strike. I guess they don't want to miss a meal; but it has worked well for me many times.

Back