Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Teaching my son to FF
From Monessen, PA
You can start on the fly rod. My son flip-cast for at least two years without too much trouble. Eventually, I showed him how to get more line out by casting a loop. The advice about patience and not being too forceful is excellent and I wish I had known it in the first couple years of teaching Gino.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 12:30

From Philadelphia PA
Unfortunately I cannot turn back time.
I did ask my daughter if she wanted to go with me to the Flyfishing show on Jan 27th and she asked if she could bring a friend. So - there's still hope!!
Speaking of flyfishing shows......this is also a great place to get kids interested.....All the equipment, flies, people swirling around each other, casting and fly tying events, etc.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 15:41

Edited by PennypackFlyer on 2013/1/15 16:19:18
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From South Central,PA
My daughter caught her first fish this summer, while we were visiting family in Northern MN. I took her to a store and she picked out a pink ugly stick casting rod, a bobber the size of a softball, and pink panfish jigs! It worked! See my profile pic... I had to help her to get it reeled in and off the hook but you can see the joy on her face. For a guy like me who's seriously in to fishing, this was a big moment!

I'm thinking we will stick with the casting rod for now, but she seems interested in the fly rod, however she's only four. The hardest part is keeping her attention. At that age they can get bored in about 10 seconds.

A few days ago I put a little rubber eraser on the end of her line and let her try casting it in the basement. She was getting it tangled around pipes and things. I told her she had to learn to untangle it herself. She actually did pretty well untangling and it became a game in itself. I think you have to keep a watchful eye, but let them experiment on their own. Interject tips once and a while but give them long periods to problem solve themselves.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 19:12

From Philadelphia PA
I just remembered something from the past concerning Kindergarden...My daughter's years. She had to go to developmental (half day) kindergarden first because she could not put building blocks together. However, she could tie a fly on and cast, catch and release fish with no problem with a flyrod.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 9:01
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lehigh Valley, PA
in my short experience as a father of 2 (I am marrying a single mother of 2) We both love to fly fish and I think that it is our favorite summertime sport, with that said both her daughter and her son have shown an iinterest in fly casting at least. We started by showing the in the backyard while we were practicing. They grabbed the rods and they started with just a little correction. Her son said to her this past month that he wanted to start to actually fish on the river with us as well. I am gonna keep my eye on this post for sure so I dont lose his interest. I know that the best way is to have fun. My plan is to take him for a "guys" weekend somehwere close by and hopefully get him even more intrested when he sees my father and I flyfishing and I want to teach him the different cycles of the bugs life. IMHO I think teaching kids is different for all. Relax and have fun with them and most importantly I think they just want to spend time with their dad. Any other ideas would be great. I already have the both of them on the vise with me some nights.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 7:23

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com