Swallowed Flies

BradyS

BradyS

Hey all,

The past two nights I have had trout swallow both a nymph and a streamer on me. I feel horrible because I feel like this could kill the fish. Since I am relatively new to fly fishing, I am trying to think of reasons why this is happening? Is it my set? Waiting too long to set? Bad luck? Or do my self made flies just look that tasty (haha jk)? I'm wondering if this is relatively common and if so what can I do about preventing it? I personally cut my line as fast as possible. Thanks!

It happens.

The streamer one would be new to me, though. Generally more likely with smaller flies.

In the bait fishing world, it's how quick you set the hook. In fly fishing, not sure that's true as if you don't set, they spit it out. I think it just has more to do with the aggressiveness of the fish.

If it's fully swallowed, you are correct in cutting the line. If it's just deep, you have to make a decision based on how bad removal is gonna be.

Agree with Pcray. ^

If you don't already have a pair of hemostats, this tool is very helpul for getting hooks out of fish that are far back in the mouth or throat. I also prefer barbless hooks and feel that they come out of the fish easier when you're attempting to unhook them.

Sometimes it just happens, must be great presentation. I've caught table trout with flies and hooks deep inside their stomach that had been there for a while. When in doubt I cut the line. Also prefer the curved hemostats to the straight ones.

Dave is spot on.

if you notice that you are consistently hooking fish deeply just debarb the hook. you will still land your fish and it's much safer for someone as yourself who is trying to observe a catch and release approach.

try it and see what happens. It happens to me too and no matter how conscientious you try to be there will always be the occasional fatality. debarbing the hook goes a long way to lower your mortality rates.

good luck and keep at it!

Thanks for the advice fellas. I debarb most of my hooks but I'll be sure to do that for every one now. I was searching the web for this as well and was able to find advice very similar to the advice you guys gave me.

http://redsflyshop.com/blog/what-to-when-trout-swallows

I've gone barbless now because I don't keep fish and didn't like cutting the line on a deeply hooked fish. My concern is how the fish can survive with a fly down its throat. I'm not so sure about the old belief that the hook will dissolve in a short period. Has any research been done on this? That must be some stomach acid, diluted by stream water to dissolve or loosen a hook. Opinions?

As a metallurgist, assuming you don't use stainless hooks, it's high carbon steel. It'll rust pretty quickly.

Depends of course on how thick the wire is to determine how long till it actually rusts through. But I've caught fish the day after breaking them off. Hook is pretty ratty in one day. Don't think it'd last more than a few days. And obviously they're eating again before it even comes out.

Obviously the fish is better off without a hook in it. But it's injury sustained from hooks, not the hook itself that kills them. If you are going to cause more injury by removing than will be caused by leaving it in, then leave it in. It's a judgement call of course. But the harder removal looks to be, the more you should think about leaving it.

Back