Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Strike Three?

From Lehigh Valley
Getting closer....

If you don't want to wait for your stackers to arrive, just take a prescription pill bottle and cut it in half length-wise. You're old - I know you've got some pill bottles laying around.

Set your clump of deer hair in the half bottle, tips to the bottom. Hold the bottle at a 45 degree angle to the table, and tap the bottom of the bottle on the table several times. Viola - even tips.

It still looks like you're cutting the tips of the deer hair. Don't reuse the left overs - a patch of deer hair is cheap and will last you a long time.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 17:47

From Newark, DE
I am the last one to be giving out fly tying advice...
It is difficult to tell by the pictures, but it almost looks like you tied the elk hair in by the tips. That might just be attributed to the shadows in the photo.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 0:01

From Abington
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Don't reuse the left overs - a patch of deer hair is cheap and will last you a long time.

Dave,
Let me know if you want some dear hair to practice with and I'll get it to you. I have tons....

Posted on: 2013/2/13 5:51

From Lancaster
Keep at it Dave. You'll get it. Learning to work with deer and elk hair can be a bit frustrating when you are just learning how to tie. The hair stacker will make a big difference. The video that HA provided is an excellent technique for locking in a deer hair wing. I use it all the time and it just flat out works. Like I said, when just starting to work with deer hair, it flairs when you don't want it to and it doesn't flair when you do want it to. IMO the most important things are to maintain total control of the hair while tying it on and learning how to apply various thread tension to achieve your desired end result. Keep practicing you are doing a great job!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 8:13

From Couldn't Care Less
I'm kinda pissed @ myself I was a lil lazy and/or didn't give any thought to tying this winter. Gonna try to get into it next year or maybe even pick up a book and/or beginner tying set this year and pick some of ur minds down the road.

Any recommendations?

DJ .. how are u finding it?

Posted on: 2013/2/13 8:47

From North East PA
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I'm kinda pissed @ myself I was a lil lazy and/or didn't give any thought to tying this winter. Gonna try to get into it next year or maybe even pick up a book and/or beginner tying set this year and pick some of ur minds down the road.

Any recommendations?

Pick up a book, watch the videos on you tube and elsewhere, but most important, get someone who knows how to show you the steps. Otherwise you'll miss things like the stacker and something as simple as which direction the hair goes into the stacker.

I'm finding it like FF....Fun and aggravating all at the same time.

Like everyone says, it's a whole new kick when you catch them on your own tie!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 15:58

From North East PA
Quote:

mpschramm wrote:
I am the last one to be giving out fly tying advice...
It is difficult to tell by the pictures, but it almost looks like you tied the elk hair in by the tips. That might just be attributed to the shadows in the photo.

Nah, it's just my lousy tying technique

Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:01

From Philly
Stagger: I got a starter kit from cabela's and it has a lot of the materials you'll need. The hackle feathers leave a little to be desired if you're tying dries, but otherwise it's a decent kit. I was able to pick up a set of tools for about $10. Lots of great tying videos here (http://vimeo.com/user3412872)

Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:25

From Chester County
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Any recommendations?

Hey Stagger,

If you are interested in learning the basics of fly tying to get started, the Orvis store in Plymouth Meeting is giving free fly-tying lessons every Saturday in February. All tools and materials are provided. There is still space in the classes on Feb 16th & 23rd.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 6:42

From Couldn't Care Less
Thanks Afish .. this weekend out heading out of dodge for the weekend. What are the times for next Sat?

Posted on: 2013/2/15 9:28

From Chester County
Sat Feb 23rd 11am - 1pm

Posted on: 2013/2/16 7:37

From Lehigh Valley
Got to work with djs12354 in person today on his cdc/elk tying.

He also got a comparadun down pat the first shot. Nice work Dave!

A few tweaks here and there, and he's doing much better on the cdc/elk. Now tie up a bunch more.

Attach file:

jpg  djscdcelk.jpg (83.82 KB)
72_51201b4098583.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/2/16 18:51

From Etters,Pa
Looking great Dave. You have a great teacher there. Keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 22:14

From North East PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Got to work with djs12354 in person today on his cdc/elk tying.

He also got a comparadun down pat the first shot. Nice work Dave!

A few tweaks here and there, and he's doing much better on the cdc/elk. Now tie up a bunch more.

Thanks for taking the time to run up this way and work on the fly tying with me and Dan.

It was and is greatly appreciated. I'll be spending some time tomorrow working on the techniques

Dave

PS: Joy says to say Hello.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 22:16

From Lehigh Valley
Dave - It was a fun day, for sure.

I know I mentioned it while we were tying, but I just want you to know how impressive your tying is already. You do a lot of things instinctively that are very fundamentally sound.

That comparadun you tied is pretty impressive! I know guys that have been tying for years that can't tie one that good. You should post a picture of it.

Tie some comparaduns in 14's, then move down to 16's, then finally 18's. You'll need size 18's with the olive dubbing shortly (like NOW). Remember - the smaller the fly, the less deer hair for the wing.

BTW - your destination for next weekend is looking prime.

H.A.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 22:45

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com