Strike Three?

djs12354

djs12354

Mods - If this should be in the Fly Tying section, please move..

Trying to get the cdc and elk tied on a number 16. Finding my fingers seem to be to big to deal with the material.

This is my third attempt, still have too long a wing. Getting that down is making me crazy. (Well, crazier than usual)

Attachments

• Elk CDC Try 3.jpg
    Elk CDC Try 3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
You cheated and cut the tips.

Try this:

Take the stacked hair out of the stacker with your left hand.

Transfer the bundle to your right hand, keeping your finger tips two hook shank lengths from the tips.

Measure the bundle by holding it above the hook shank. The wing should extend to the back of the hook bend.

Pinch the bundle in your left hand fingers at the hook eye.

Cut the butts of the deer hair (not your fingers) a hook eye length in front of your fingers.

From this point until you whip finish, don't let go of the bundle.

This works every time.

Why size 16? 12's and 14's are what you'll need shortly. Start out with the 12's....

Did not cut off the tips. This was third try today. I took the butt section left from the second try and used them for the third. That's why the tips are so square. I wanted to get the work on tying the tips down.

Don't have a stacker yet. I've been trying this without one. I'll be purchasing one soon, though.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
You cheated and cut the tips.

Try this:

Take the stacked hair out of the stacker with your left hand.

Transfer the bundle to your right hand, keeping your finger tips two hook shank lengths from the tips.

Measure the bundle by holding it above the hook shank. The wing should extend to the back of the hook bend.

Pinch the bundle in your left hand fingers at the hook eye.

Cut the butts of the deer hair (not your fingers) a hook eye length in front of your fingers.

From this point until you whip finish, don't let go of the bundle.

This works every time.

when ever i am trying to do something on a small hook and struggling i will chuck up a bigger hook which is easier to tie on and then keep going with smaller hooks until i get it. you will figure it out, don't give up.

sometimes with smaller hair wing flies when it doesnt require a lot of hair to create the wing itself, i use my hackle pliers to grab the ends out of the hair stacker. make a couple of loose wraps while holding the pliers, then grab the actual hairs and tighten down with your bobbin. whatever works for you though, just my .02

Dave - Here's a clearer video than the one I sent you.

Tying the wing using this method results in a very durable fly.

gotta get a hair stacker. Makes a world of a difference. HA's video is a good one. Just keep working on it and you'll get it.

Don't worry about it so much, trout don't have rulers, it will catch fish.

Chaz wrote:
Don't worry about it so much, trout don't have rulers, it will catch fish.

Thanks, Chaz. I figure the fish I target ( My bumper sticker says (Show Me the Dumb Ones!) aren't that discriminating. But I do want to get it right!

ryguyfi wrote:
gotta get a hair stacker. Makes a world of a difference. HA's video is a good one. Just keep working on it and you'll get it.

Ordered the hair stacker set last night. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive! Trying to arrange the fibers had me muttering under my breath.

BlkLgbEaDheAd09 wrote:
sometimes with smaller hair wing flies when it doesnt require a lot of hair to create the wing itself, i use my hackle pliers to grab the ends out of the hair stacker. make a couple of loose wraps while holding the pliers, then grab the actual hairs and tighten down with your bobbin. whatever works for you though, just my .02

Bigger hook is in the vise now (12)

Stick with the same pattern and after a couple you'll have some to compare and make little adjustments until it's pleasing to your eye, I've seen guys with big ham hands tie some delicate flies.

Hair stacker will make a world of difference.

I don't know if you've thought of it yet but before you put the hair in the stacker make sure you comb out all of the under fur first, the hair will stack nicer for you. You can use any comb try to find one with the tines close together, you don't really need one of those really expensive brass ones. Yes you're fly will take trout, you're on your way with it, like said above stay with the pattern, set each one down in front of you so you can see it then you can make the adjustments you need to on the next one.

Tied this one on a number 10 for the hell of it. I can always use it as an indicator~

Getting closer.

Hair stacker set is ordered and on it's way.

Attachments

• cdcelknumber4.jpg
    cdcelknumber4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
Getting closer....

If you don't want to wait for your stackers to arrive, just take a prescription pill bottle and cut it in half length-wise. You're old - I know you've got some pill bottles laying around. :cool:

Set your clump of deer hair in the half bottle, tips to the bottom. Hold the bottle at a 45 degree angle to the table, and tap the bottom of the bottle on the table several times. Viola - even tips.

It still looks like you're cutting the tips of the deer hair. Don't reuse the left overs - a patch of deer hair is cheap and will last you a long time.

I am the last one to be giving out fly tying advice...
It is difficult to tell by the pictures, but it almost looks like you tied the elk hair in by the tips. That might just be attributed to the shadows in the photo.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Don't reuse the left overs - a patch of deer hair is cheap and will last you a long time.

Dave,
Let me know if you want some dear hair to practice with and I'll get it to you. I have tons....

Keep at it Dave. You'll get it. Learning to work with deer and elk hair can be a bit frustrating when you are just learning how to tie. The hair stacker will make a big difference. The video that HA provided is an excellent technique for locking in a deer hair wing. I use it all the time and it just flat out works. Like I said, when just starting to work with deer hair, it flairs when you don't want it to and it doesn't flair when you do want it to. IMO the most important things are to maintain total control of the hair while tying it on and learning how to apply various thread tension to achieve your desired end result. Keep practicing you are doing a great job!

I'm kinda pissed @ myself I was a lil lazy and/or didn't give any thought to tying this winter. Gonna try to get into it next year or maybe even pick up a book and/or beginner tying set this year and pick some of ur minds down the road.

Any recommendations?

DJ .. how are u finding it?

Back