Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Strike Indicator

From Clinton County, Pa.
If it takes you five minutes to tie on a Trico it's still worth it. Funny that's the only fly I need my magnifiers for. Sometimes you feel like you really accomplished something just getting the fly tied on to the tippet. I have to use a magnifier to tie the flies too but it's worth it! Tight lines.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 20:27

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
the main objective is to catch fish. Don't you agree?

Nope.

Ok, I'll bite...what is the objective then, if catching fish is not?

To the original question, I have used BioStrike and the smaller thingamabobber, and I prefer the thingamabobber. They land much more softly, and are indicative of even the most subtle strike.

Now to circle back to the derailed version of the thread...

When I first started fly fishing, two years ago this summer, I started out fishing a warm water stream for sunfish, fallfish and little smallmouth. I took the opportunity to learn and refine my techniques, and I tried them all, including nymphing. Just like tying flies, you will get better by doing it, or watching someone that knows what they are doing.

While the challenges of nymphing for trout are different than when fishing dries, they still require skill at fooling the fish. The ultimate goal is to present some fur, feathers, etc. tied onto a hook, in a realistic enough manner to make a trout think it is a natural. I only fish wild trout streams, so I can't really speak to the challenges (or lack thereof) of fishing for stockers.

As I have fished for trout for going on two years now, there are skills a fisherman MUST have to nymph successfully. The size of the nymph must be appropriate to the naturals the trout are feeding on. The drift must be as free from drag as possible. The placement is the water column is critical. You must be aware of the typical holding areas for trout, then present the nymph to them properly.

I also know a few guys that guide who insist that in order to catch the bigger fish, you need to be able to get down deep to catch the bigger fish. As I have learned more and more about nymphing, my fish counts have increased significantly this season. For me, it's a few factors.

1. Finding a stretch of water that likely holds trout
2. Finding the proper depth where the fish are likely to hold
3. Working as much of the water as you possibly can

Last season, before fishing with my neighbor and friend who is a well-seasoned fly fisherman, I would have walked into the stream, worked a piece of water until I caught a fish, then moved on. After a few lessons from him, I have become a much more patient fisherman. I work the area nearest me, without trying to cover too much water, then take a step or two further into the area, work it some more, then take a few more steps and work closer to the bank. After I have fished that area, I will take a few steps downstream and repeat the steps. This has allowed me to take as many as 3 or 4 fish in an area where I would have moved on much more quickly in the past. I have fished the same area, with him no more than 30 feet from me, and we have both brought multiple fish to hand before moving on.

Gfen, do you dispute any of my comments about the techniques or challenges of nymphing? I have to admit, I haven't been on the board much lately, so I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, and my intention is not to call you out, but to maybe learn something from you.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 22:32

From SEPA
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:

Quote:

Merriam-Webster wrote:
rec·re·a·tion noun \ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən\
Definition of RECREATION

: refreshment of strength and spirits after work; also : a means of refreshment or diversion

Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
Gfen, do you dispute any of my comments about the techniques or challenges of nymphing?

Not sure, mostly because it went on and on about an uninteresting topic in what appeared to be great detail, and I didn't bother to read it.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 3:16

From Lewistown
I would like to add that there are many more "cheap" indicator options.

The first one I used was I bought a sticky-backed foam sheet froma craft store. I cut 1" x 1/2" strips and cut a knotch in the middle of both sides (this makes them easy to remove).
Counless indicators for 50 cents.

Another great cheap indi, is a small balloon. Blow it up streamside, maybe the size of an almond, trim the end, and attach to your leader using a false-knot (one that will disapear once the balloon is gone).
I don't have a link for it, but I'm sure it's on youtube.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 8:50

From Toona
Merriam-Webster wrote:
Definition of RECREATION

: refreshment of strength and spirits after work; also : a means of refreshment or diversion

Gfen, why don't you just stand in the river without fishing then? Wouldn't it accomplish the same goal for you? Or just go for a walk near a body of water? If you are just there for recreation why not save the trouble of rigging up a rod and such, and just start your recreational fun even sooner? I personally think fising dries CAN be boring, but I didn't complain about it.

Main Topic: Over the weekend I was fishing the PA Lake Erie Tribs and came to a few realizations. I was fishing 20 Mile and was using the smallest Fish Pimp, in white, for my indie. I made several drifts through a nice pod of Steelies, and on each successive cast the fish would shift their position away from the path of the indie. I switched colors and got the same reactions, so, then, I decided to experiment more. I tried Thingamabobbers, in different sizes and colors, and got the same results. I tried a grey Floatmaster indie, same results. I tried poly-yarn, in white and bright green, and still got the same results. I decided to rebuild my leader, using hi-viz Stren in the middle as an indie, and the results finally changed. I started with 6 feet of 12 lb Maxima, knotted to 16" of 8 lb hi-viz Stren, then attached 3-5x (the streams were pretty low) tippet with a tippet ring. On the second drift with the same flies from earlier I hooked and landed a 28" 11 lb Steelhead. Indicator style, color, and shape do make a difference, and sometimes different situations call for different styles. That is why I will now always carry several different types, along with a few small sections of hi-viz Stren.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 9:25

From Lewistown
I didn't have any hi-viz Stren when I built my current leader, so I used florencent backing (about 5").

It only interferes with casting far distances (which I don't do while nymphing) and dries (which is why I bring a seperate dry fly leader and switch them out).

Posted on: 2010/10/13 10:23

From SEPA
Quote:

TUNA wrote:
I personally think fising dries CAN be boring, but I didn't complain about it.

Best review the postings, thus far. At no point have I made any comment stating one method is better than the other, only the one that's more engaging and the disagreement that if you're not catching, you're not enjoying.

Quote:

why don't you just stand in the river without fishing then? Wouldn't it accomplish the same goal for you? Or just go for a walk near a body of water?

I do all the time, actually. Sometimes, simple observation is more enjoyable than all the flailing about.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:17

From SEPA
Quote:

MKern wrote:
I didn't have any hi-viz Stren when I built my current leader, so I used florencent backing (about 5").

Wrap it around a pencil, dowel, etc, and then use a sharpie to colour a thick line down one side of it. When you unwrap it, you'll have a set of barring, giving you better visibility of motions on the take.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:18

From Toona
Gfen, I also spend too much time observing when fishing. I had a fun time observing all the bait guys in Erie casting to spooked fish and then getting mad because the fish wouldn't take. It was kinda funny seeing 25 guys crowded into a 15' by 15' area trying to catch Steelies.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:48

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Wrap it around a pencil, dowel, etc, and then use a sharpie to colour a thick line down one side of it. When you unwrap it, you'll have a set of barring, giving you better visibility of motions on the take.

An authentic Crooked River sucker fishing tip.

My nymphing tip for you:

Nymphing is much easier with an unbroken rod.Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:55

From SEPA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
An authentic Crooked River sucker fishing tip.

And from an avowed nymph hater, at that!

I think Amnesia is better, though, and if yo hand-twist/furl it, it'll get even more light catching ability.

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
My nymphing tip for you:
Nymphing is much easier with an unbroken rod.Resized Image

I was just making it a faster action rod for better response on setting the hook. I figured the quickest way to do so was to snap the first 3' off and get rid of that pesky tiptop.

No?

Posted on: 2010/10/13 12:43

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:

Quote:

Merriam-Webster wrote:
Definition of RECREATION

Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
Gfen, do you dispute any of my comments about the techniques or challenges of nymphing?

Not sure, mostly because it went on and on about an uninteresting topic in what appeared to be great detail, and I didn't bother to read it.

Cool...can't argue about the recreation aspect...For me, it's just plain quiet time, and relaxing and theraputic as well.

Regarding the "went on and on about an uninteresting topic" comment, keep in mind that this is the beginner forum, and my intention was to give some insight to beginners that read the forum.

Tight lines to you my friend.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 17:42

Quote:

ant wrote:
You can if you don't mind people laughing at you. :) I use thingamabobbers to float nymphs and the end of my line as an indicator any other time.

I'm sure there isn't a pic on the smiley face list to express my reaction to this comment.

This is a beginner forum so with that I think you need to not worry about what people think, but it would be good to think about what the thingamaboobers do. They float a nymph. Anyway you can reproduce that action is good..no matter how much anyone laughs at what you use to do it.

As far as "You can as long as.." I do believe most of the United States Fly Fishing team members make their own versions of nymph floating thingamaoobers. One is a Dry dropper, another is a curly indicator with floatant added. Believe me there are more and they do create their own.

If we were not inventive and some being not afraid of laughter, nothing would have ever been invented. So my advice to you is try out everything and let them laugh.

With that does anyone have some idea for a device to squish the water out of tuna in a can, without getting your hands all smelly...you'd be famous.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 21:40

From Eastern PA
Quote:
With that does anyone have some idea for a device to squish the water out of tuna in a can, without getting your hands all smelly...you'd be famous.

Attach file:

jpg  tuna.jpg (16.17 KB)
2943_4cb7b65c36fd9.jpg 300X300 px

Posted on: 2010/10/14 22:03

Ha! Ha! Still looks like it gives you fishy fingers, which for me doesn't seem to be a problem. Can you find me a product to pick up stinky socks? I did see a commercial for a matress cover that absorbs the smell of gas. I'm not sure how effective it is for side-sleepers.

Sorry off topic, back to the subject...you absolutely do not have to spend money and you can be cheap making your own thingambobbers. 12 inches of gold stren wrapped around a pencil, boiled for 5 minutes and shoved into a freezer..spray it with a little floatant, you've got somethingr better than a thingambobber..you've got a floating in line indicator. Or just use a big ol Grey Whulff or a parachute ant as your thingambobber. Twice the chance to get a hit. It's all good, really. Change it up and have some fun.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 22:23

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com