Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Strike Indicator

From Lewistown
My last post on nymphing....

If your not catching/hooking into a fish within every 10 casts, you are doing something wrong/not effiecient.

I once showed a young fly fisherman a better way to nymph fish, by better I mean more productive) and landed 4 fish on five cast out of the same riffle he fished for 5 minutes before.

I don't know how catching fish can be boring......

Posted on: 2010/10/11 8:23

From Toona
Mkern, some people will never see the light... More fish for us. I fish a lot and nymph alot of the time, too, but I don't see how it could be boring. To each his own I guess.

I would also suggest Float Master indicators, or the Fish Pimp (football with rubber tubing insert) style indies. You can also try tying a section of yellow HI-VIZ Stren into your leader and use that as an indie, too. I fished some of the Float Master indies up on the Erie Tribs this past weekend, and was really impressed with them. I just wish I could find more subdued colors.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 9:37

From Clinton County, Pa.
Mkern, I was going to respond back but you just said it all. How can catching trout be boring? All my best days trout fishing(as far as numbers) came nymphing. I love fishing drys but I have never caught 40 plus fishing drys,wets or streamers. I have on a number of occasions with nymphs!

Posted on: 2010/10/11 9:50

From Clinton County, Pa.
Oh I forgot to add to the post I like white strike indicators! IMO they blend in with all the white foam and bubbles. Anyone agree?

Posted on: 2010/10/11 9:53

From Cody Wyoming
Sometimes I use poly yarn, especially when the fish are spooky and the water is more delicate. If you have good eyes, black yarn is good. I learned this from Andy Kim... the inventor of the young special. My cousin was good friends with him when he lived on the Green River in Utah. He's got a bunch of videos on youtube and his screenname is yspecial. Now he guides the San Juan and guarantees you 20 fish or you don't pay. I just got back from fishing some more turbulent waters in Wyoming and fished with the thingamabobber and fish pimp and I (like Tuna) prefer the football shaped Fish Pimp. It casts better in the wind and doesn't kink up your line. I fished them on the West Ausable in NY where the waters are pretty rough at times and the worked great. I also do well with a hopper dropper combo which gives you a chance to get a dry fly strike while nymphing at the same time. It's very effective in shallower water. There's a great video on youtube called Fly-fishing instruction super hopper dropper by Mikey Weir that shows you how to use this set up effectively. He even shows you how to custom make your hoppers to make them so you can adjust them on your line to fish different depths. I agree with all the nymphers... I catch a lot of big trout on nymphs. You figure 80% of a fish's diet is subsurface. I think it increases your chances big time if you learn to fish nymphs effectively. I believe getting the right depth and drag free drift are as important if not more than picking the right fly.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 11:41
Philippians 1:21

From SEPA
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Mkern, I was going to respond back but you just said it all. How can catching trout be boring?!

Here, here, I've seen the light... From here on out, its skein and egg sacks.

After all, not catching is boring.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 12:42

From Clinton County, Pa.
I don't know about you but I go flyfishing to catch trout! Yes I do get a little bored on the slow days. It's wonderful just being out there, but the main objective is to catch fish. Don't you agree? In my experience nymphing is the most effective way to do that. Just because you don't like it does'nt mean it is not effective! To be an effective flyfisher we must try to master all methods even the ones we are not good at. I don't care for streamer fishing but you can bet if I feel that's the method that will catch fish I will try it even though I don't really care for it. That's how we get better. I learned that from a flyfisher with nearly 50 years experience.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 15:49

From SEPA
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
the main objective is to catch fish. Don't you agree?

Nope.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 16:22

From Florida
Quote:

Hodge36 wrote:
Can you use a regular bobber as a strike indicator?

IMO, using regular bobbers will be overkill in most trout fishing situations. I try to use the smallest indicator (if I use one) that will hold up the given the amount of shot/weight that I need to properly fish my nymphs.

I think that smaller indicators cause less disturbance when they land on the water, which is important for fishing low, clear water and/or spooky fish. I also think that it is easier to see the subtle changes in drift that often indicate strikes using smaller, yet highly visible indicators.

Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
...To be an effective flyfisher we must try to master all methods even the ones we are not good at...

This describes my own FF philosophy to a T...though your feelings on the matter may change over time, I would encourage others just getting into the sport to adopt this philoposhy as well

Posted on: 2010/10/11 17:06

- Ray Bergman

From Clinton County, Pa.
goodfortune, I learned that philosophy from a flyfisher with many more years experience than I. At first I disliked nymph fishing altogether but I kept at it and over time got more experience. I discovered it is the most effective method to catch trout. IMO you will catch more and bigger trout nymphing. When I learned to nymph fish correctly I caught MANY more fish! Tight Lines.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 21:42

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

MKern wrote:
If you are really cheap you can make your own.

Take a 3" peice of yarn and cover with about an inch of thread in the middle. fold the yarn over itself and wrap, tying both ends together. Secure with fingernail polish.
Trim to desired height.

I used to make dozens of these for Hillie's using poly yarn.

I make mine with foam. I buy some O rings from Home Depot, and cut up some strips of foam, fold them through the O ring, and use some 210 thread to tie it up. Pretty easy and costs about 10-15 cents a piece. Yes I am that cheap.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 15:07

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Oh I forgot to add to the post I like white strike indicators! IMO they blend in with all the white foam and bubbles. Anyone agree?

I don't like white for that exact reason. If you're fishing in some very turbid water, it's tough to keep track of it sometimes.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 15:10

From Berks
I think that nymph fishing is more productive, but seeing a trout rise up and sip a dry, or better yet just smash it straight to heck...... that excitement will beat nymphing any day, IMO.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 16:21

www.flyfishinado.blogspot.com Fly Fishing Blog

From Clinton County, Pa.
ant, I agree but I'll catch 5 or 6 nymphing to every one I catch on drys. I do have a soft spot for fishing the "Trico" hatches though . Just something neat about catching a trout on a size 24 dry!

Posted on: 2010/10/12 16:54

From Berks
Trico's are awesome, but whenever I try to work with one it seems like my fingers turn into thumbs.

Nothing like taking 5 minutes to tie on a fly and have my blood pressure through the roof.... :)

Posted on: 2010/10/12 18:58

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com