HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Strike Indicator

From SEPA
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
You are such a dry fly snob! I'm serious reread your post! I've learned to laugh more and more and If I don't right away just give me some time. But you are a dry fly snob and I truly believe that just since you "THINK" (You remember this you beginners!) have mastered the better techniques that will teach these young guys something and you say the words "You are forced to nymph" you have left them short.

Some people enjoy catching fish.
Some people enjoy fishing.

Some people think fishing is about catching fish.
Some people think fishing is about fishing.

Some people think so abstractly about it, they fish with hookless flies. They really enjoy fishing, alot.

Quote:

wetnet wrote:but I sure can nab a fish in all sorts of currents on a nymph and it's not so easy.. so how about you lose your thingambobber the next time you are forced to nymph and give my world a whirl.

Honestly, its even easier WITHOUT the indicator because you can feel the thing ticking along.

I don't care if you can nab a fish with the power of your mind, because I don't care about nabbing fish. Neither does Jack. I care about having a good time, and my idea of a good time is fishing.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 12:55

From Eastern PA
She is clearly coming from a competitive fishing mindset, so it really does not apply to you Jerry.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 14:20

From Clinton County, Pa.
I enjoy fishing too but I love catching! I split the difference and fish with barbless hooks! LOL. I'll also fish a dry fly as quick as the next guy, but only if I see fish rising.With the exception of terrestials if trout are not rising IMO your are just practicing your casting. I can do that in my backyard.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 15:29

From Monessen, PA
Clearly you do not know how to simulate a hatch by repeatedly casting a dry fly to the same drift.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 15:57

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
She is clearly coming from a competitive fishing mindset, so it really does not apply to you Jerry.

Actually, alot of the Other Side is coming from a competitive mindset here.. Wet's perspective isn't competitive, its organized competitive sports.

Hers is actually more understandable to me, even if I think its missing "the point*," I understand that she operates on a level of an organized sport where its out to win it, and her kid's fishing is geared towards that goal, then surely hers would be, too.

Others', though, are every bit as competitive, they're just not out to win a game.

* - The point is nebulous. There is no cake. The cake is a lie.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 16:47

Is fly fishing a sport?

Posted on: 2010/10/21 16:52

From SEPA
Right, so when he's done playing to win in organized sports, should he never toss a football in the backyard to relax again?

Posted on: 2010/10/21 17:14

From Clinton County, Pa.
JackM, your right I have never tried to simulate a hatch. Sounds like you would get alot of casting practice though! LOL

Posted on: 2010/10/21 17:24

From Berks
Is fly fishing a sport?

That guy is absolutely right! Every time I catch a fish, I slap it, spit in its face and scream "I got you muthaf****er!!!!"

I'm in it to win it.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 18:43

Worthy Adversary

Ha.

Maybe someone has these cool stickers on their truck. hehehe

Attach file:

jpg  Fear-No-Fish-Black-Clear.jpg (67.66 KB)
772_4cc0c7ade3d4b.jpg 942X814 px

Posted on: 2010/10/21 19:07

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
JackM, your right I have never tried to simulate a hatch. Sounds like you would get alot of casting practice though! LOL

I ask you, is knitting a blanket just a lot of stitching practice? I think not!

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:05

We let them OFF the Hook!

They were who they thought they were.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:55

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:

It's not a mind set, I fish what I have been exposed to as far as techniques, etc. I doubt anyone on this site doesn't fish what they are exposed to. I do use indicators just different ones and I do not count on feeling my nymph always bounce off of the bottom as with a dry dropper. I do not exclusively dry fly fish because I just can't follow a dry fly vision wise. I admire those who can and I do not deny them their pleasure. I do not like hearing that someone is forced to nymph..And no offense personally to anyone just the mindset....but no one is forced to nymph. You can fish wets and streamers, neither of which I have mastered but I am working on them as well as dry terristrials which I can see a little better on the water with foam and such. I do fish to catch fish, I don't care how many. I also enjoy the day away from work if I catch nothing. I also know if I never caught a fish I just plan wouldn't do it. I don't see a point to throw string in a mud puddle for a trout. I enjoy catching fish while fishing. Sort of breaks things up don't you think? I also do not think there is a problem with extending your knowledge and trying a multitude of different things, not to say that a comfort zone isn't a good place to be for awhile. My point which is never made very well is for you beginners, just don't stay in your comfort zones forever. You will miss so much.

If anyone wants to enter the old debate of bad people competitive fly fishing we can move this else where. I'm not always against some of the nega.. never mind. It is always interesting. Like people that told me I was a bad Mom for letting my sons for reading Harry Potter when the parents were told it was bad and didn't read the book for themselves. I read the books. They were OK. Angels and Demons was pretty good. The movie sucked! Anybody with a good book to read? I like mysteries, detective stuff added Sci Fi makes it better. No vampire stuff.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 0:29

From Monessen, PA
So as not to offend any longer, I foreswear the use of the expression of being "forced" to nymph and will instead only suggest that I am "resorting" to nymphing on occasion.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 6:44

From Toona
Jack, I will say it then, "I am FORCED to nymph sometimes, in certain situations." I nymph fish 90% of the time anyway, but if I want to consistantly catch fish, I am forced to nymph. I know how to fish dries, and how to fish streamers, it doesn't make me any less experienced or knowledgeable to say that I am forced to nymph. Just like you enjoy fishing dries, I enjoy fishing nymphs. I am forcing myself to use nymphs, to catch fish (because catching fish is what makes me happy and helps me enjoy my time on the water even more). Most guys that fish in competitions are also forced to nymph, if they want to stay competitve. When was the last time you heard about some great dry fly or streamer that came from competition flyfishers? Being forced to do something does not always constitute said action as being negative, right? I was forced to eat vegetables growing up as a child, while at the time I thought it was bad it wasn't. Sometimes, if I am catching a lot of fish while nymphing I will force myself to put a dry on, just for practice. Forcing yourself to do or use certain techniques is not a bad thing, IMO. I really get annoyed by the whole "dry fly snob" and "this or that snob" type of attitude with flyfishing, how about "nymph snob", or even "streamer snob", while we are at it? We are all out there to enjoy ourselves in whatever way we se fit. I could honestly care less what someone thinks of my fishing style or myself, I'm usually the guy fishing nymphs or streamers during a Coffin Fly spinner fall. I may rag on people about fishing only dries, but I would never say that they are less of a fisherman or less experienced/knowledgable than myself.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 9:41

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com