Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Stocking a beginners fly box - Looking for some insight

From Malvern
I thought so. I've been lurking around there the past decade or so. Mk2 guy myself. This is the other vice.

As far as fly choices are concerned. If you have a local fly shop, stop in and have a chat. Maybe some body on here could recommend a shop out your way. That's my preferred method but I'm a sucker for BS'ing.

Posted on: 6/13 16:03

From 20 miles NE of Pittsburgh
Small world.

I actually chatted with the owner of one local shop for a while last Saturday for a while and got some solid advice.

Posted on: 6/13 16:16

From Somerset P.A.
A small weighted sculpin has been my go to streamer for this entire season. Has almost replaced the wooly bugger in my box.

Posted on: 6/23 17:39

From Dubois,PA
My new favorite fly orange humpy!

Posted on: 6/24 7:13

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

MKern wrote:
For ease you could definitely get away with only taking pheasant tails in sizes 12 through 16, and a mayfly imitation dry in a neutral/lighter colored body in sizes 14 and 16.
Possibly a midge larva and dry pattern as well.

I think most beginners try and take as many flies as possible and switch way too often. When in reality, it's more the fishermans fault and not picky fish.

This is excellent advice. I STILL have some of the flies I bought when I first started about 7 years ago. Pheasant tails from 14 to 18, in different colors (natural, olive, etc.) I fish almost everything with a bead head.

The only other thing I would add would be some soft hackles (hares ear, partridge & yellow, partridge & green, partridge & purple. They imitate many bugs that trout see every day.

Posted on: 7/12 23:17

From Lewistown, PA
Like a previous comment mentioned, I would definitely add some caddis nymphs. I like a beadhead antron caddis larva - size 14 and 16, tan, olive, chartreuse. A scud pattern may also be a good idea. Definitely add some wooly buggers! Olive at least, maybe black, white, or brown size 6,8,10.

Posted on: 7/17 0:28

From Lewistown, PA
Oh also, I hate the muddler minnow too. Just hate it. A streamer that floats. But I guess it could be fished with a ton of split shot, or fish it as a hopper. Adding a tungsten cone may make them more useful as a streamer, but I'm not sure - never tried it. Other than a wooly bugger my go-to streamer for trout has been the slump buster. It's probably easier to tie than the muddler minnow, and it actually sinks.

Posted on: 7/17 0:34

From Philadelphia
http://www.orvis.com/p/20-most-popular-selection/76tk

Get that. its a killer for the price.

Posted on: 7/17 0:51

Quote:
Oh also, I hate the muddler minnow too. Just hate it. A streamer that floats. But I guess it could be fished with a ton of split shot, or fish it as a hopper. Adding a tungsten cone may make them more useful as a streamer, but I'm not sure - never tried it. Other than a wooly bugger my go-to streamer for trout has been the slump buster. It's probably easier to tie than the muddler minnow, and it actually sinks.

Run it on a short sink tip or an x-fast sink poly leader.

Posted on: 7/17 13:32

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

Cold wrote:
Quote:

Run it on a short sink tip or an x-fast sink poly leader.

Yea I have a sinking poly leader, but have yet to use it. It's just too much work to change my whole leader just to fish a streamer. I generally just cut off the 4x or 5x I was using for nymphs and dry flies and tie on some 2x or 3X to my tippet ring and start fishing.

Posted on: 7/18 0:40

Depending on the knot you use to attach tippet, I'd think changing leaders would be at worst less than a minute slower, and quite possibly faster (and with less waste) than clipping & retying tippet.

Usually I start out with the sinking leader attached and only switch if I see fish rising, but even with your nymph rig, using some shot should get your muddler down just fine.

Posted on: 7/21 8:42

From Philly
Wondering if any northeast/southeast anglers can add some of their go to nyphms and dries. The sizes are a big hang up for me. I have been having luck with #16 ants this fall.

I have no idea how to fish those really small sizes. I have a hard time tracking my fly in faster water. Seems like you need some serious Jedi skills to be a superior fly fisherman with small dry flies. Hopefully by the time my son is old enough I will be able to pass down the skill.

Posted on: 10/1 20:04

From Chester County
Quote:

boogeyklat wrote:
Wondering if any northeast/southeast anglers can add some of their go to nyphms and dries. The sizes are a big hang up for me. I have been having luck with #16 ants this fall.

I have no idea how to fish those really small sizes. I have a hard time tracking my fly in faster water. Seems like you need some serious Jedi skills to be a superior fly fisherman with small dry flies. Hopefully by the time my son is old enough I will be able to pass down the skill.

Don't sweat the patterns.

For nymphs, a simple hares ear and pheasant tail in various sizes work well in all streams.

A wooly bugger can't be beat as a streamer or large nymph imitation.

For dries, a beetle and ant in the summer and fall, and I'll add a Blue Winged Olive dry in size 18-20 and a light and dark dry caddis pattern.

You should be set. With the above flies, you will be able to catch trout in any PA stream.

For nymphing skinny water, try tying on a more visible dry fly on tie on a 20-30" tippet to the hook bend of the dry (called a "dropper") or you can use a small indicator to see strikes.

Small dry flies are difficult to see on the water. You can tie two dries on a dropper as above with one being larger and/or more visible. You can also apply paste floatant to your tippet leaving the last 12" free of floatant and watch the leader and tippet for strikes.

Good luck.

Posted on: 10/2 7:11

From Philly
Afish,

Thanks for the advice. I know the dropper rig, I am just not that great at casting two flies but practice makes perfect.

I was Easton today for work and had a couple hours afterward to hit the local stream. Nothing was rising and I wasn't sure what to do. I put on a nymph but my skills with them are marginal. I also put on a #10 ausable bugger but had no luck. I am self taught so my learning curve is huge. I live in the city and do not know anyone that fishes.

The funny thing was after I gave up and decided to take a break I walked over the edge of the stream and ended up right in front a deep pool with about 15 browns and a giant palomino. I froze. Obviously as soon as I moved I spooked them all. IT was a tough day for me but a really beautiful one on the water.

I am going to really hit it hard this winter and was hoping for a must have size/selection for fall/winter. I have been reading a lot about midges but I would love some advice for flies the northeast in the fall/winter. I don't want to wait for spring.

Posted on: 10/2 18:44

Your list looks good. Most of the info has been covered.

Dry Flies - size 16-22
Cahil
Caddis
Adams
Olives
Gnats
Mosquitos
Stimulators - as big as size 10
Ants
Hoppers

Nymphs - size 14-20
Pheasant Tail (covers a lot)
Hare's Ear
Midge
Zug Bug
Prince
Copper John
Stonefly
Scuds

Streamer/Other
Buggers
Zonkers
Conehead Muddlers
Eggs
Sucker Spawn
San Juan Worms
Weenies

Never underestimate dry/dropper. Works great as an indicator, and a lot of times a fish may go for a Stimulator or PMX or something over the nymph. Or the dry may get the attention, and even if they turn on it instead of rising sometimes it will trigger them to go right for the nymph.

Posted on: 10/13 0:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com