Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Stockies: Keep or Release?

From Philadelphia PA
I just wonder how many stockies die because they have been caught over and over again and now refuse to eat?
It is better to catch and eat stockies when approaching the summer months because of warm water conditions. When they stock in the fall - catch and release should be for all. I enjoy eating crappie more than any warm water fish. Bass are good as well.
Cooking preference: I will use parsley, celery salt, butter and a splash of lemon/lime and cook it over charcoal.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 16:12
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I just wonder how many stockies die because they have been caught over and over again and now refuse to eat?

On stocked streams that have both delayed harvest areas and "general" regulation areas, you can see that C&R really does work.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:41

From Cambria Co
I agree with what everyone has already said. I feel if you take it eat it, if not leave them for someone else to catch. Nothing angers me more than a buddy of mine that keeps tons of fish each year eating most but throwing away a good bit too from freezer burn. Same goes for the guys that shoot 2-3 doe and throw away the meat after the meat goes bad

Posted on: 2013/2/6 8:45

From Harrisburg
Jack M wrote:
Quote:
I haven't harvested a trout in many years, but the next time I do, it/they will be wild and I will not feel the least bit guilty. Just be reasonable and don't waste them.

I've been tellin myself this for years now. Not just wild, but natives like in my youth. I just seem to keep finding some kind of excuse not to everyime the opportunity comes up.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 5:53

From Lambertville
Always C&R. When I was 14 caught a huge LM bass. I kept that. It was 40 yrs ago.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 21:25

From Lewistown, PA
I generally only keep stocked trout on opening day - it's kind of a tradition. Also the way they stock the local streams there's no way all those trout are going to survive.

I generally release all other fish I catch, expecially the local wild trout. I will occasionally keep stockies in early summer, since I know they're probably not going to make it thorough the season anyway.

I guess if I were on a stream that I knew had a really healthy wild trout population, I would keep the occasional wild trout too. The streams that have wild trout in my area tend to have pretty weak populations, so I'd feel bad about taking one.

I really wouldn't judge someone who regularly keeps their limit of stocked trout though - they're stocked there so that people can catch them and eat them if they want to! Just as long as they're not wasteful.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 12:37

From South Jersey
I have not kept a trout for over 25 years. I usually fish barbless. I am sure I have unintentionally killed some fish over the years, but I try to keep it to the bare minimum. I have no problem with others keeping their fish. That being said, when I did harvest my trout there was nothing like trout and eggs for breakfast. The trout sauteed in butter with just a squeeze of lemon, a little parsley in the cavity of the fish, cooked head on. On the other hand 25 years is a long time ......... Hmmmm?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 13:15

Salmo

From Clearfield County
I'm eating some in the spring. Fried...

Posted on: 2013/2/20 20:17

From Lehigh Vally
I reforthlease everything unless it gets damaged while catching(which is very rare)
I am,however, considering keeping a few small panfish .
I have an empty 75 gallon aquarium that needs to be filled and use, and would be great for the kids.

Posted on: 2013/2/23 10:09

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:

If they stopped eating because they'd been caught, that would make them smarter than almost every wild fish in Spring Creek.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 12:55

From Green Bay, WI
I would guess that stocked streams are there for Put and Take right? With no natural reproduction, there is no reason to not keep your fish. Also on cooking them, try brining with 1 gallon water, 1 cup canning salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and two cups lemon juice. 3 hours time, and then on the grill. Cook until skin is crispy. I gut and remove head from fish before brine.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 11:57

From Landenberg, PA
stocked trout don't taste that good imho, and who knows what chemicals, steriods, they use to grow them on and colour the flesh.

i much prefer wild trout, but if one was bleeding from the gills or flat out done then i'd knock it on the head. i prefer to put them back for someone else (maybe a kid) to catch.

filleting trout is easy. run a sharp knife along its gut from gills back to anal fin. pull out guts and throw away. place trout on side. with a large sharp knife make one vertical cut behind the gills down to the backbone. then turn knife sideways and cut along the backbone up to the anal fin.

make another vertical cut there to the backbone and lift off fillet. turn trout over and repeat.

cut off remaining fins and you're good to go.

place on foil skinside down with lemon, pepper, dill and bacon on top. fold edges up into a parcel and place in oven, or on camp fire for 10 minutes. check it then cook till done.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 12:14

From Clearfield County
Good cleaning instructions.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 21:03

Here's an even more convenient way to clean fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y

Posted on: 2013/7/22 22:18

From Philadelphia PA
PennKev: I don't know maybe it's meeeeeee. As things start to heat up, I'm beginning to think that trout purposely let the smaller fish chow down on your fly/nymph first and then follow the hooked fish around to see if there is a flyer attached at the end of the line.

What good is good eyesight if the fish does not use it?

Posted on: 2013/7/23 16:08
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com