Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Stockies: Keep or Release?

From South Central PA
Let's leave aside your obvious right to harvest. After that it depends on what you think is important to you and to that particular stream.

Wild trout present? A good idea to harvest so they have less competition. Be sure you have a good idea as to what are wild and what are stocked.

No wild trout present and the water later on warms to the point of suffocation? They are going to migrate or die or be preyed upon no matter what, so it's your call.

No wild trout or very few present but water stays cool for survival and growth? I would leave them be to catch again. Quite a few of our excellent wild trout streams in this country started because stockers reproduced and started a wild fishery on that basis. Your stream in question may do the same.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 9:10

From Clearfield
Quote:

DGC wrote:
Let's leave aside your obvious right to harvest. After that it depends on what you think is important to you and to that particular stream.

Wild trout present? A good idea to harvest so they have less competition. Be sure you have a good idea as to what are wild and what are stocked.

No wild trout present and the water later on warms to the point of suffocation? They are going to migrate or die or be preyed upon no matter what, so it's your call.

No wild trout or very few present but water stays cool for survival and growth? I would leave them be to catch again. Quite a few of our excellent wild trout streams in this country started because stockers reproduced and started a wild fishery on that basis. Your stream in question may do the same.

I can agree with this. Unless you just want to take some home to eat, because you like trout.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 9:31

From Archbald
Crappie is the only kind of fish I eat. I put salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic, and squeeze some lemon juice on them. Don't laugh at me, but I cook them in the microwave. It's an old trick my father taught me when I was a kid.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 13:20

From North East PA
I'm a C & R supporter, but will probably keep a couple of stockies for some friends who have been asking for fish.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 15:19

From Gamehendge
Always CnR. Can't remember the last time I kept a trout. We would keep a slot red an our limit of mangrove snapper when I used to live in Florida. I hate the way trout taste. Unless its smoked, then bring it on. But it's your right to keep your limit.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 20:58

From Newville, PA
Traditionally, I take several lifelong friends out in my boat on opening day and keep my days catch for the fry pan. These fish are stockers in mountain lakes where they are unlikely to survive the summer.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 21:07

From Gettysburg
Quote:

L_soult wrote:
Is there any good reason this dad shouldn't bring home some fish to fry up for the kids?

Nope - none at all.

If harvest is allowed by law, then it's a personal choice whether you care to keep fish. Like you, I don't harvest wild trout as a general rule (or any bass - they're pretty much all wild and slow growing).....but I do enjoy eating fish and I keep some stocked trout every year. Although you live "upstate" where waters are colder, it's worth remembering that many of PA's streams and rivers get too warm for trout to survive the summer anyway. You might as well eat 'em - that's what they're stocked for.
Regarding a fish fry - you should be aware that there are some consumption guidelines for fishes caught by anglers in PA that recommend that you limit how many you eat per day or week. This is due to (minor) contamination with PCBs. These consumption guidelines can be seen on the PFBC website.

Posted on: 2013/1/26 8:31

From South Central,PA
I haven't kept a trout in years. However, I just joined a fish and game association. It's just down the road from me and they have a lake with nice sized bass and stocked trout. I imagine I will be keeping a few trout.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 22:43

From Perkasie PA
I caught one last summer while bass fishing in a warm water stream. I guess there was a little spring or something under this log keeping him cool enough to surive because the water was WARM. He took a black bugger, barely fought, and was belly up by the time I brought him to hand.

Tasted good with some homemade dill mayo and sauteeing him in some butter and garlic though.

Besides that, I'll only keep a flounder or kingfish here or there from the surf in the summer. Always C&R trout whenever possible.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 9:14

From Portage, PA
i like to grill mine. I keep maybe 4 or 5 a year. Just don't let them get freezer burnt and wasted. Go catch some, no reason not to keep them.

I like to put mine in foil with butter.
plase a few onion slices inside with olives and tomatoes
add a bit of minced garlic.
salt and pepper.

Not much on lemon and fish but a lot of guys like them.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 12:53

From South Central,PA
The big question is how to fillet/clean the fish...I've only ever done it one way, but I watched hundreds of youtube clips on all I got was more confused!

Posted on: 2013/1/28 16:25

From Monessen, PA
I haven't harvested a trout in many years, but the next time I do, it/they will be wild and I will not feel the least bit guilty. Just be reasonable and don't waste them.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 1:46

From York, PA
Quote:

bigslackwater wrote:
The big question is how to fillet/clean the fish...I've only ever done it one way, but I watched hundreds of youtube clips on all I got was more confused!

Maybe I can help you?

Most important, put the trout on old newspaper. Use a electric fillet knife (I like those new Rapala knives the best) and after you fillet the fish, then skin it.

Now, toss the trout in a trash-can and eat the newspaper! You can broil the paper for about ten mins. If the newspaper starts to burn, just put a little water on to put the fire out!

Yummie!

Posted on: 2013/1/29 2:16

From Glendora nj
what I do; 12 year old she keeps her fish and she loves to brag with stockies. the stream behind the cabin we release all natives. with the baby all stockies come home for friends and family. same with salt water keep what you will eat.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 20:00

From Pittsburgh, PA
While I love fishing for trout as my favorite species I hate the way they taste. So I dont keep them. That being said, if its legal its your decision.

I think a lot of stockies are in water that is incapable of holding and supporting trout all year so I would rather they go to the dinner table then float belly up down the stream.

If it can hold trout year round I would highly encourage C and R as I have fished several "hold over" waters nationally and the trout fishing is outstanding.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 14:47

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com