Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Spooking Fish - Tactics/Techniques to Avoid It

From Philadelphia
I spend most of my time fishing Valley Creek. As most, if not all of you know, it is a limestoner that runs clear and low 90% of the time. On top of that the stretch I love to fish is narrow, on this site I often hear it compared to a brookie stream.

One of the biggest obstacles I have encountered is spooking fish. I do all my spot switching on the bank and never wade in the water, I always wear neutral colors and have even gone to camo. Most the time I am roll casting as size of stream does not allow overhead casting, so my false casts are at a minimum. However, I still spook lots of fish when entering water.

What are some other techniques the experts on this forum can share with us newer guys to limit the amount of fish that run away before I even have a chance to catch them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 11:15

Re: Spooking Fish - Tactics/Techniques to Avoid It

From Philadelphia
I think at certain times it is almost impossible to not spook fish on VC. I met a guy one day and he told me he only fishes dries on VC and spooks them when getting in position but that he simply waits them out because they are so used to people they will rise again in 10 or 15 minutes. I have caught fish by keeping a low profile and coming upstream to them but I still spook fish. I am going to try the waiting them out routine on my next trip.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 11:21

From "THE VILLE"
I know guys do this on spring creek. The fish are so used to being walked on there that they go back feeding in about 10 to 20 min. But low and slow approach to get into psotion is best.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 13:03
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Low, slow, and come from downstream up. Army crawl if you have to.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 17:09

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Clearfield
Makes a difference.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 17:48

From collegeville, pa
if it's sunny and low and you are working upstream, your false casting will spook them. limit the false casting or fasle cast to the side if possible. I find that taking your time and positioning yourself upstream of the fish and just casting 10 ft in front of you then pumping line down works better. Don't plan on catching every fish in a pool. You can always fish the fast water, try swinging some soft hackles through them....

Posted on: 2011/12/7 8:47

From Gettysburg
Dmicali,
Good advice above.
In my experience, shadows are a main reason for spooking fish. I think the verdict is still out on clothing but I avoid light colors (esp white) if I'm fishing in a forest. You want to blend in.
Finally, keep in mind that VC is a tough stream that gets pounded. The fish are spooky and selective. As others have pointed out, once you're in position, give the creek a break for a few minutes and the fish should resume feeding.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 9:04

From Clearfield
Quote:

govtmule wrote:
if it's sunny and low and you are working upstream, your false casting will spook them. limit the false casting or fasle cast to the side if possible.

Learned this lesson on a brookie stream in my area. One false cast scattered 4 fish, never again.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 9:25

From Harrisburg PA
Move as a heron, if you see a wake ahead of you when wading you are going to fast

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:29

From Up in the Mountain
Leave the fly line at home..Put a spinning reel on you're fly rod use 4lb test or 2lb test. Still use flies and see if that don't make a difference. You would be surprised how much that fly line scares stuff.Do everything written above this post. hopefully this works.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:54

When wading spooking fish is inevitable but like the others said the fish will likely return to their original holding spots. But one piece of advice I can give you is when fishing over a pod of rising fish make a long down stream presentation with a long leader.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 19:31

Make mine Wild

From LV
Well, this is easier said than done, but try to always enter a stream in a riffle, never in a pool. And always make a few casts in the tailout of pools. Trout love to hand at the tails of pools and if you spook one you've pretty much have spooked the entire pool.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 21:51

From Chester County
I went back and found this post about fishing Valley or any stream with spooky wild trout:

Slow down...you move too fast....

Posted on: 2011/12/9 7:17

From Enola, Pa.

You are always going to spook fish, can't be helped. Just stay low, wade close to the bank, move slow, little false casting as possilbe and ware the right kind of clothing.

Move slow as you can!

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/12/9 7:24

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
HIDE!

reduce false casts

longer drifts if possible, so you're not plopping your fly a few feet above the fish's lie

wear camo or dull colors

take your time before presenting a fly. There can be a more opportune moments once a fish is spotted.

If you spook fish, move on. It's very difficult to catch a fish after it's spooked. But if it's a good fish, come back to it later.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 10:29

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com