Small flys

P

PJHarrington

yesterday morning and just now i went by a small stream and flying all around was small flys some black some white and with white wings what are these they were everywhere.

PJHarrington wrote:
yesterday morning and just now i went by a small stream and flying all around was small flys some black some white and with white wings what are these they were everywhere.

No way to tell from your description. Need more details, but could be tricos or midges. How big were the flies? Number of tails (if any)? Upwing, downwing, wing flat over body?

PJ,
Good stuff.
A big part of the mystique of fly fishing revolves around insects and learning to identify them and how/when trout feed on them (if they're feeding on them at all). It's all part of the puzzle and endlessly fascinating.
Here in PA, streams can see many types of small bugs - as Afishinado points out, they can usually be identified with a better description. "Small" is usually defined by fly fishermen as relative to the size of the hook. Usually hooks from size #18 and down are considered "small." A size #18 hook would usually represent a fly with a body about a quarter of an inch in length. Much smaller flies, however, are common too and they can be smaller than a mosquito.

Tricos, gnats, or midges.

Were they mayflies? Up and down dance?

yes they were going up and down and there were millions of them goinng up and down. i went back to look at them better and they are black with white wings and long tails but i do not know what they are but they are all over and when i got back to stream a lot of fish on top eating and i think trouts.

PJ,

Good description of the flies. I totally agree with pray on the trico spinnerfall. This hatch can be a lot of fun to fish if you can find a pattern and technique that work for you. There is a lot of really good info in past threads on tye forum about fishing tricos.

The up and down motion where the fly flies up and parachutes down with flat wings are usually little blue quills.
But it could be tricos. Tricos are about 6 mm, LBQ's are about 8 mm.

With tricos it's more like a sine wave, but yes they do. Paralepts fly straight up and come straight down, that's how I tell them apart.

they were trico because i got one and brought it to fly shop and guy said it was trico. lots of rising fish to these small fly but hard to catch even though rising all over stream. i am getting better and got my first one this morning a nice brown 14in. thx for help now need to get better and catch more trouts.

Back