Sink-Tip or Sinking for my situation

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

I joined here early this year and made the Newbie Jam where I enjoyed meeting many forum members. Then a few weeks later I had back surgery that I’m still recovering from today. Right now, I can’t walk over rough terrain and I can’t drive very far without considerable pain. So, until I find a nearby creek I can get into, I’m stuck fishing a pond that is close to home and that I can walk around without problems.

I’m using a floating line but I’d like to try a sink tip or sinking line to get down deeper in this warm weather. I have a 9’ - 5wt rod and I picked up a Pflueger 1494 DA reel I’d like to use with this. Does a WF-5WT sink-tip line make sense or does something else sound better to you? Brand recommendation appreciated.

Capt, I would use a sink tip. A full sinking line is difficult to get out of the water and re-cast. In a pond it should be fine. As far as brand any of the name brands will do just fine. I happen to like SA lines but I am sure there are plenty of fly fishers who prefer Rio or Cortland or Orvis.
It is probably a line you will not use all that often. So I probably would not spend a lot of money for it. But I will add pond fishing really gets a line dirty. So maybe clean it a bit more often than you other lines.

Good luck,

GenCon

Thank you. I have a 9ft. 5wt rod. I was thinking about buying the SA Frequency line in either the WF-5-F or the WF-6-F. It has a ten-foot sinking tip. The 6 wt is 160 grain vs. the 140 grain 5W.

Am I correct that I could use 5 or 6 wt line on the 5wt, 9 ft rod?

I have a WFF line and a sink tip line for my 5 wgt. Mine is a 15 foot sink tip. I'll fish unweighted streamers or floating patterns like a Crease Fly or slider off it on a short leader.
Another possibility is an intermediate sinking line. Might be a bit more versatile than a sink tip in that as the line sinks for example is you let it sink 3 feet and start retrieving an unweighted streamer will stay in the 3 or 4 foot range as you.
A sink tip will sink faster and the line will be on the bottom in a shallow pond. If you're fishing a Crease fly on a 5 foot leader, the fly will suspend the length of the leader off the bottom when the line is sitting still. As you start stripping the line in the fly dives toward the bottom. Pause and it starts floating up. Very effective way to fish for bass.
If you're rod is a 5 wgt, there's no real need to over line with a 6 wgt line if you're just fishing a pond. Keep it simple

Thanks for your help! I ordering the Scientific Anglers Frequency Sink Tip Fly Line WF5F/S as I'll also be able to do some lake fishing from a boat. I'll let you know if it works for me.

My first time fishing the Sink Tip I asked about.

I got out to a local pond where it's relatively flat so I can walk it. Still recovering from that surgery. Anyway, my first time out with a sink tip and I did okay. I picked up 4 LM bass and a couple of sunnies. Most of them hit a bugger at about 10-12 feet deep with the sun bright and high overhead. Water was stained. One picked it up when it was near the bottom as I let it settle for quite a while. Maybe 20 feet.

I had something toothy bite me off and I tried to convince a large carp that was cruising the shallows to take a taste but no luck.

A good day. Can't wait until I can find a creek to wade.

Sounds like a great day on the water to me!

Creeks are overrated this year, just get yourself healthy so you can enjoy them next spring.

Good luck!

Don't hesitate to try a sinking tip or sinking polyleader with your existing floating line as well.

Back