Significant other fly fishing?

kelso2340

kelso2340

Has anybody ever taken their wife/girlfriend fly fishing? My g/f enjoys fishing but all that she has ever really done is sit on a picnic table and toss worms out at a lake. She would like to try fly fishing because she knows that I enjoy that much more. Just wondering if anybody has ever attempted this and what I could be looking forward to lol. Thanks

LMAO......I showed my wife this post and she said GOOD LUCK! For once were on the same page. But on the other hand my 8yr old daughter loves FFing.

My wife offered to come take fishing pictures shes a amauter photographer so I'm gonna jump at the chance!

haha well I agree with your wife also!!! I told my g/f that I did not think she would enjoy it but she is pretty set on at least trying it.

If she takes to it Kelso and signs up here you may want to change your avatar...or maybe she has seen it and thats here interest...to keep you from running into all the April Vokeys out there on the stream. :-D

HAHA she is weeeeelllll aware of April Vokey...And I actually think that it made be one of the reasons she is interested in trying to fly fish. She knows she has "competition" haha. But seriously, nobody has ever had this happen to them? I find it hard to believe all of you guys with wifes havent ran into this yet.

My wife just doesn't get the whole thing.

Her words, and I quote - "So you're going to walk around a stream with a stick and a piece of rope (yes, she said rope) with a pointy thing on the end trying to trick a poor fish into biting it, and then after all that you're going to throw it back if you do catch one?"

My words - "Yep."

But then again, I can't for the life of me figure out the joy of scrapbooking.

I feel if this has the ability to make an interesting poll

I took my wife to the little J in June about 12 years ago during a prolific hatch of cahills and yellow drakes. She caught around 20 and she even landed a brown in that was almost 21 inches.
Well thus begins my story between the two sexes..
Take a man on that day for the first time and he's "hooked" for life.
Take a woman i.e. my wife and you get this waters to cold, ALL this bugs are freaking me out and its almost dark when are we going to leave. Needless to say she never ask or wanted to go again. Atleast I have that one experience with her on the stream. Good luck maybe she will enjoy it. My advice would be to take her to a stream that you know a pretty good chance of a good hatch that day..

When I was single, I dated a girl who was very gungho about trying fly fishing - at least for the first year we were together anyway.
I took her to kettle creek - which is well stocked with easy to catch fish. And she did pretty well up there, and proclaimed that fly fishing is pretty easy.

Later that spring, I took her to the little j at sulpher time. And she had a pretty tough time playing with wild limestone trout. And of course, she blamed that on me. I wasn't giving her the right flys down there - even though I had no problem catching fish on the exact same flys.
And being humbled by the little j was quite a blow to her ego, and she lost interest in flyfishing after that.

On the other hand, one of my buddys is married to a girl who has been flyfishing with him for many years. And seems genuinely interested in it. She's pretty good at it, and even ties flys.

Dont get me wrong my wife loves fishing she can throw spinning gear around for 5-6 hrs.She's always asking when im taking her again but when it comes FFing she says its too much work. I told her thats what makes it awesome. MOST women just dont get it.

Attachments

• 0926111704.jpg
    0926111704.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3
The perfect fishing buddie has a similar level of fanaticism for the sport as you do. I think you need to introduce her to the sport and see how her interest develops. It may sort itself out like it did for onthestream and his wife.

I've had my wife out a couple times. She really only does it to spend time with me, and has no passion for the sport. Now she doesn't flyfish anymore, but we have another hobby where we spend time together.

Maybe you'll hit the jackpot and finds she likes it as much as you do?

I have taken my wife. She even took the FF course at PSU, bought all the stuff, etc. I took her out a few times. She enjoyed each outing. But she didn't keep up with it.

She doesn't have the patience for fishing (or is it with me?, lol). After about an hour she gets bored with it, even if she's having success. She still sometimes goes with me and hikes, looks for bugs and frogs, etc. while I fish. She likes that better and I'm cool with it. They only problem is that it limits me on time and location. When she's along, my fishing trips can't go more than an hour or two, none of those all day events that take an hour or two just to GET THERE.

But what to expect? Hmm, don't expect to fish yourself for a while. Take 2 rods. For me, it was let her fish one rod while you get the other ready. Soon, she'll be in a tree or tangled. Hand her the other rod, and go to work on the one she was using.

Coaching is tough with a significant other. If you let her be, you haven't given enough advice and guidance. If you try to coach her, she gets mad that your looking over her shoulder and not letting her do things herself. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.

My gf goes fishing with me sometimes. She only spin fishes right now, but is bugging me to teach her how to FF. She's only spin fished a few times so i tell her she has to get better at that before i give her a fly rod. Pcray is right on target. The main reason i'm hesitant to teach her is because i know my fishing time will be next to nothing-she still can't tie her own knots, get snags out, unhook fish etc, so it is a lot of work to keep her fishing. It's nice to go out with her occasionally, but frankly a lot of the reason i fish is to have some alone time. It's not as relaxing when you have to guide someone else, especially if that someone else is your significant other.

Lol my gf can't stand the woods, SPIDERS(cuz they're everywhere) and the bugs. She does got out like others said just to spend time with me. Funny thing I usually do pretty well when she's there. I've tried to get her interested there's just nothing there. She's not into it. But if she wanted to I'd let her fish no problem. She'd rather sit and watch David on qvc lol.

My wife will go on a guided trip when we are traveling, but thats about it. She goes because I want to fish while we're on vacation, not because she likes fly fishing. First time we went out with a guide, I got skunked and she caught a small rainbow... she loves to remind me that she caught a fish and I didn't.

I have taken both - not just on the same trip :)

My gf has gone along and had a "picnic" on the bank with her 2 girls. She would like to go spin fishing or river fishing sometime but I don't think she would ever fly fish. That is fine with me because it just wouldn't be fun for me at all like stated above. It would be work to help her constantly. I'd be willing to do that if I knew it was something she would keep at, but I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. Besides, I go fishing for 2 reasons... Because I love it and because as much as I love her, I need a break and some ME time!!!!

An architect, artist, and engineer are discussing whether its better to have a wife or mistress.

The architect said "a wife. I enjoy building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship."

The artist said "a mistress. I enjoy the passion and mystery."

The engineer said "both." "Both?", asked the other two. "Yeah, both. Each will assume you're with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."

H-E double hockey sticks NO the wife won't go. She thinks it hurts them. Well, maybe that's not so bad after all. I kinda like it that way. I think she does too. Whatever floats your boat.

Back