Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Saving Leader

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, for me x ratings are more about how well it turns over a fly rather than it's breaking strength, which varies WIDELY in comparison with diameter, stiffness, etc.

It ain't perfect. Perfect would be some quantifiable measure of stiffness. But lacking that, diameter > breaking strength. I do think "X" is kind of silly. I could live with just 0.005, 0.006, etc. It'd be a lot clearer to beginners and non-fishermen.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:16

From Monessen, PA
The X system works well for me. I think once you understand it, it is intuitive in a reverse way.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:18

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Yeah, for me x ratings are more about how well it turns over a fly rather than it's breaking strength, which varies WIDELY in comparison with diameter, stiffness, etc.

It ain't perfect. Perfect would be some quantifiable measure of stiffness. But lacking that, diameter > breaking strength. I do think "X" is kind of silly. I could live with just 0.005, 0.006, etc. It'd be a lot clearer to beginners and non-fishermen.

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Rather than thinking about pound test rating, I like to think of tippet by it's diameter.

Pound test rating varies too much by material and manufacturer to use that as a guide, IMO.

True that above! Rather than needing a secret decoder ring and a pocket calculator, the X's should be more straightforward like:

3x = .003 / 4x = .004 / 5x = .005 / 6x = .006........

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:29

From Philadelphia
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
True that above! Rather than needing a secret decoder ring and a pocket calculator, the X's should be more straightforward like:

So today's 10X would then be -1X?

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:33

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

So today's 10X would then be -1X?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:49

Quote:

JackM wrote:
The X system works well for me.

Me too.

Just get 4 spools of tippet material: 3x, 4x, 5x, and 6x.

3x is heavy, good for streamers.

4x and 5x are sort of average, and what you use the most. I use 5x the most, by far, for PA trout fishing.

6x is light. Good for small flies, like size 18s, when the water is low and clear.

That's about it. With practice, you'll get the feel of which to use.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 9:05

From Philadelphia
H-A I'm sure your post has all the normal levels of cleverness that you bring forth each day, but the only thing coming up on my PC is a box that says click to see picture but I get nothing when I click it except that little guy hammering me!

Posted on: 2013/8/30 9:07

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
For you tippet ring guys...

What if I bought a 7' mono 3X leader and added a ring to the end of it. Would I be able to add 5X or 6X to the ring or do I need that 3X -> 4X -> 5X transition to smoothly cast it?

Right now I'm using a BlueSky light furled leader and add 4X, 5X, or 6X to the end of the leader depending on what the conditions require. It casts smooth. I'm curious if a similar setup with a tippet ring would cast as well. I'd like to try it b/c I like the advantage to add a dropper off the ring but want to keep the simplicity of adding whatever size tippet I want to at any given time.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 16:26

From Lehigh Valley
Yeah, that'll work fine.

I've used a 7' 1X leader with a tippet ring on the end, and added a few feet of 5X tippet to it. Works OK too.

The transition in X sizes of tippet in a normal knotted leader is more important to allow the knots to hold well than it is for turnover.

Typically, the only time I use tippet rings is when I'm making a large drop in tippet size, or when I want to preserve the butt and mid-section in a really short leader.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 18:55

From Philadelphia
Wow! Where's my slide rule.

Afish, thanks for above. Very clear.

I've become a fan of tippet rings because it keeps the X-factor above it and the tippet below constant. I used to snip off the tippet from the extruded leaders I bought and tie a double surgeons and then keep snipping back as the tippet got shorter but began to see that after a few snips I wasn't sure exactly where I was on the leader taper. Still, as we all know, it's not quantum mechanics, but physics does play a big role. As noted above, tie a length of tippet larger than the leader above and lots of bad things happen. Tippet rings solve the problem for me without sacrificing presentation.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/9/4 18:07

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com