Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Rods and no money right now?

Ok. I am tying Wooly Buggers, Wood Duck Streamers, Green Weenies, Copper Johns and Pheasant Tail Nymphs as my starter flies for this coming season. After 11 years of kids tuition and 2 weddings I am broke so I don't want to buy anything new rods right now. With that said I own an old 6 weight 8' fiberglass rod that was my Dad's. I also have a 7 weight graphite composite 8' rod that is newer. I have a light weight Martin reel that needs line

I always read that a 5 weight is the best all around rod. I kind of like the graphite composite rod better but is 7 weight too much for SEPA stocked streams for streamers and nymphs? If I use it should I get a 7 weight line or under weight? Is there much difference between 6 and 7 weight?

Am I over thinking this? I will be buying modest priced line for the reel soon.

Your thoughts appreciated and have a nice holiday!

Ron

Posted on: 12/23 14:01

Re: Rods and no money right now?
From Chester County
Quote:

reelinron wrote:
Ok. I am tying Wooly Buggers, Wood Duck Streamers, Green Weenies, Copper Johns and Pheasant Tail Nymphs as my starter flies for this coming season. After 11 years of kids tuition and 2 weddings I am broke so I don't want to buy anything new rods right now. With that said I own an old 6 weight 8' fiberglass rod that was my Dad's. I also have a 7 weight graphite composite 8' rod that is newer. I have a light weight Martin reel that needs line

I always read that a 5 weight is the best all around rod. I kind of like the graphite composite rod better but is 7 weight too much for SEPA stocked streams for streamers and nymphs? If I use it should I get a 7 weight line or under weight? Is there much difference between 6 and 7 weight?

Am I over thinking this? I will be buying modest priced line for the reel soon.

Your thoughts appreciated and have a nice holiday!

Ron

There's no real way to answer whether your 7wt rod will cast okay using a 6wt line. My guess is it will, since just about every rod I own casts well with a one line weight lighter. Also, those older "composite" graphite rods usually load very easily, so it should be doable. Further, a lot of rods made back-in-the-day had two rod weights stamped on the rod, anyway. Think of it this way, 20' of 7wt line weighs the same as 24' +/- of 6 weight line, so it's all on a sliding scale anyway.

Try to find a buddy with a reel loaded with 6wt line or go to a fly shop and ask to test it out. If you are happy with how it casts, buy a 6wt line for it. The great thing is you now can use the same reel and line to fish your 6wt glass rod.

Welcome back to FFing. Good luck.

Posted on: 12/23 14:23

From SE Pa
I know the feeling after 5 years of doubled up college and my 1st of two weddings coming up.

Fly fishing can be enjoyable on a budget and I always say don't buy the hype. I would recommend going to cabelas and getting a 5 wt combo for 89 bucks. It was my 1st fly rod and after about 5 years of use I have no desire to "upgrade" it. The only thing I changed on it
Over the years was the line. I've added more rods but I don't feel a need to get a new 5 wt. every rod will cast just fine until you let the hype Play mind games with you.

I would tie up some bead head gold ribbed hares ear nymphs as well. Good job keeping your priorities in order and enjoy the fishing.

By the way, I'm having sticker shock over the price of weddings these days.

Posted on: 12/23 15:41

I live in Berks county. If you are close, you can stop by and cast a 6 weight line.

Posted on: 12/23 16:36

Thanks guys. I will end up a local fly shop and try a line or two on my rod this week. Outsider, I am actually in Delco, but that was a kind offer. Poopdeck, I appreciate you frugal approach, I read some of your other threads and love your minimalist approach to things. Afishanado, I agree that the 6 would be great so I can use it on both rods.

Afishanado, Poopdeck, Outsider,.............Merry Christmas

And Merry Christmas to others PAFLYFISH members.

Ron

Posted on: 12/25 10:26

From SEPA
Ron,

It's LSD with a different user name on here. I sent you a PM to your inbox if it's set up. If not message me any way you like

Chris

Posted on: 12/25 15:02

Chris,

I finally got your PM to open. I sent a reply, let me know if you didn't get it.

Thanks,
ron

Posted on: 12/25 18:48

Edited by reelinron on 2017/12/25 19:27:54

From Brickerville
If the budget is tight use what you have. I use a 6wt for streamers and a 3wt or 4wt for nymphing but thats my personal choice. Honestly I have a 5wt and I find very little use for it. In my opinion a 5wt does everything ok but nothing exceptionally well. At least mine doesnt.

What type of nymphing do you plan on doing? tightline nymphing or indicator nymphing?

The 7wt glass/composite will most likely be fine for streamers. It may be a bit much if you are trying to tighline nymph but if you are fishing an indicator rod sensitivity is a non-issue in my opinion. Welcome back to FF.

Posted on: 12/26 14:48

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

In my opinion a 5wt does everything ok but nothing exceptionally well.

This is kind of how I feel about 5 weights too. If you made me fish in PA with just one rod for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose a 5 weight to cover the most bases, but in nearly all instances there's a better tool for the job IMO. The 5 weight is the ultimate middle of the road compromise.

The one thing a standard 9 foot-ish 5wt is actually perhaps best at IMO is fishing medium to large (say size 16 or bigger) dries at relatively long distances on larger streams. Say fishing the big Spring time hatches on the big PA limestoners. That's basically the only situation I use my one and only 5 weight in.

Posted on: 12/26 15:07

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Quote:

In my opinion a 5wt does everything ok but nothing exceptionally well.

This is kind of how I feel about 5 weights too. If you made me fish in PA with just one rod for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose a 5 weight to cover the most bases, but in nearly all instances there's a better tool for the job IMO. The 5 weight is the ultimate middle of the road compromise.

The one thing a standard 9 foot-ish 5wt is actually perhaps best at IMO is fishing medium to large (say size 16 or bigger) dries at relatively long distances on larger streams. Say fishing the big Spring time hatches on the big PA limestoners. That's basically the only situation I use my one and only 5 weight in.

Or you could have just said, [ I disagree ], “The one thing a standard 9 foot-ish 5wt is actually perhaps best at IMO is fishing medium to large (say size 16 or bigger) dries at relatively long distances on larger streams. Say fishing the big Spring time hatches on the big PA limestoners. That's basically the only situation I use my one and only 5 weight in”.

After all, this is probably the quintessential fly fishing experience.

And I agree with it, in addition the 9’-ish 5 wt is superb for fishing streamers and wet flies (with or without weight) on medium and larger freestoners and limestoners.

Posted on: 12/27 8:55

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:

After all, this is probably the quintessential fly fishing experience.

^ I definitely agree with that, and I'd definitely argue there's a place for a standard issue 5wt in PA FFer's rod lineup because of it.

My point in choosing to first agree with what nomad wrote, before highlighting what I thought a 5 wt actually did very well, is that I do think generally speaking a standard 5wt is over-applied as the magic perfect rod. Its main asset is also its Achilles heal...versatility. In most scenarios there's a better rod choice probably for specifically what type of fishing you're looking to do. I tend to note a big difference in most 6wts vs. 5wts for streamers for instance. Even fairly small ones. I would not call any 5 weight I've owned or fished superb for fishing streamers. Will it do it?...Sure, and reasonably well all things considered...It's versatile. That being said, a 6wt will do it more efficiently with less effort.

Don't get me wrong, if you're buying your first fly rod to get into the sport, and to fish PA with...a 8'6 or 9' 5wt is probably what I'd recommend, and in fact have recommended to a couple first timer friends who asked my advice.

It's kind of like golf. If I had to play an entire round with one club, I'd probably choose something like a 6 iron. Once in a while, I'd be about 150-160 yards out and it'd be the perfect club...Kind of like fishing dries on bigger streams with a 9' 5wt IMO. But although I could play all of the shots in a round with a 6 iron, more often there would be a better club for the shot at hand. Hence why I have 14 clubs in my golf bag, and 5 different fly rods. That being said, you only need one rod to get in the fly fishing game, and a 5wt is as good of choice as any for most.

I think we might just be saying the same thing. Sometimes I type too much.

Posted on: 12/27 10:00

From Dallastown, PA
Someday I wanna get a fly in your lip and watch my 5wts rod tip dance up and down the river. LOL. You make good points, it’s just he said they do nothing well and you provided an example of something after agreeing.

Just found it funny. Reminded me of a certain agricultural overexplainer.

Posted on: 12/27 11:47

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Reminded me of a certain agricultural overexplainer.

And a certain metallurgist probably. Guilty as charged!

Posted on: 12/27 11:52

From New Castle, PA
Here's a reply you don't want to hear but I believe will make your fly fishing experience much better:

Just buy a cheap 5 or 6wt starter/budget combo.

Just do it.

For the cost of a couple tanks of gas you'll get a usable rod and reel that will match and match your fishing.

Posted on: 12/28 9:04

From New Castle, PA
cables sale outfit

Boom $65 bucks.

Posted on: 12/28 11:19

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com