Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Rods and no money right now?

Thanks everybody! I'm gonna start with what I got and I have a friend who has a decent 5 wt that he will sell me later this spring.

After I play around with some flies I may get a lighter rod for the 2019 season.

Thanks!

Posted on: 12/29 19:03

From Maryland
Either 6 or 7 wt rod should be OK. Personally, I like soft action (whippy) glass over the old style graphite, but that's because I fish small creeks and do a lot of roll casting. Graphite will be best for bigger streams where you want to heave-ho; glass (if soft) likely better for roll casting on smaller creeks.
For starting, stick with the basic store-brand level lines from Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mt. as they're cheap and perfectly good for basic angling. You can really burn a lot of cash on double tapers and weight forwards.

Posted on: 1/10 21:23

From Philadelphia PA
I reminded myself that cheap is not always the way to go. For instance buying an airbrush or a guitar. The quality of both deminishes the cheaper the gear is. This has also happened when I bought a Flyrod from nun other than WalMart. It was a Shakespear and it weighed a ton. It later became my walking stick.

One of the most important things to take into consideration is making sure the reel is properly backed with line. For me I believe this effects the balance greatly. And a well balanced rod equates to more casts.

Wait and save my lead to better quality gear.

Posted on: 1/17 8:58

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

From North East PA
Check out LL Bean's Quest outfits.

I have a 7' of their's and love it.

Posted on: 1/17 19:18

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

Great input here, thanks. My Dad's old 6 weight is a glass shakespeare and is very heavy and not only by weight, but action seems heavier than my composite 7 weight.

As far as what type of nymphing I want to do< I don't know. I would rather fish without an indicator eventually, but I suppose that is the easiest way to start????

Posted on: 1/17 19:26

From Philadelphia PA
I use a dry fly as an indicator. that way it hits the water real quiet and when a fish takes it goes down real quick. Beadhead Prince work well.

Posted on: Yesterday 10:04

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

From Chester County
The best advice I can give you is to fish with what you have for a while. Find out what kind of fishing you like to do, which fish you prefer to pursue, as well as which places you prefer to fish.

As you gain experience and proficiency you will better understand what type of tackle works best for you. And at that point you will be better able to evaluate and choose the best rod outfit for your fishing and can intelligently go out and find the best rod for you.

Finally, many times just buying the bargain basement rod on sale will lead to your dissatisfaction and a constant pursuit of looking for "the right rod".

A quality rod outfit that works for your fishing is something that can and should last for a long time. Check out as many as possible in your price range, choose carefully and make your decision based on your own experience and preferences. Good luck.

Posted on: Yesterday 10:28

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com