Rod and Reel Combos

robbie514

robbie514

What rod and reel combos in 6 weight would you recommend for a beginner that are under $100. It would be nice if the rod was 9 foot and medium fast action. Also it'd be a bonus if the reel had some king of drag. Thank you.

the swap forum has many nice combo rigs for sale. Take a quick browse through there.

GreenWeenie wrote:
Your question was already answered here

Robbies Original Post See RCFetter Response

Notwithstanding, I am pasting the link directly to the fly rod/reel combo page. If you click on the below link you can then click on the combos and read what features they offer.

Rod and Reel Combos

That St Croix combo is a little more than your price range but includes rod, reel, backing and line. Should be a nice outfit that you will not -"out grow" quickly.

Wind River combo from Cabela's. They're on sale right now for $89! I got the 8'6" 4 weight (had been fishing a cheapy 6 weight as my first rod), and I really like it. I'm sure the 6 weight would be good too. The combo comes with a pretty decent fly line, and the reel is really nice. Adjustable drag, and a pretty attractive gray/graphite color.

I started with a Cabelas combo I received for a Christmas present. Nice rod, but knowing now what I didn't know then, I would go for an LL Bean outfit. They have various price ranges to suit your budget and if you are unhappy with a purchase, you can't beat their return policy.

Here are a couple that are close to or just a bit more than your price point. Spending the extra 30-100 will get you a better all around set up that should last you for years. TFO and Cortland are pretty good with warranty repair / replace of their stuff.

Temple Fork Pro Series 2-Piece Fly Rod with a Greys G-Series Fly Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 8'6", 6 Weight. $131

TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Special 4-Piece Fly Rod with an Orvis Encounter Large Arbor Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 9', 6 Weight. $149

Cortland Big Sky 4-Piece Fly Rod with Rod and Reel Carrier and Orvis Large Arbor Encounter Reel and Fly Line with backing for a 9', 6 Weight. $203

just looked on Ebay and the Cortland rod alone sells for $260. If I'm not mistaken, that was their "flagship" model. I think they've closed out that model.

Reddington Cross water. Outfit from cabellas. I took mine on a flats trip and the guide really liked it. He actuall y
cast all of the line out. As I recall it was about 100 $. GG

Plus 1 on the cross water outfit.

I think the compass rod that Allen is selling is a very good beginner rod as well. Lighter than the crosswater. I had cast one last night paired with one of Ryguyfi;s Risen reels. They paired together nice and were perfectly balanced. This set up would be over your 100 dollar limit but well worth the money IMO

Another vote for the cross water, I'm matching one with an Allen alpha III for steelhead and ny browns

Back